• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sachin or Bradman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimboJoe1006

Chris McKivat (8)
Honestly I find it quite offensive that this question is beginning to be raised more often.

There is no simply no question whatsoever. Not only is Don the greatest batsmen of all time (Only Grace comes close), he is probably the greatest sportsman ever too.

He averages 40 more than the next best. Despite batting today much easier than in Bradman's era his average is 45 more than Tendulkar's. Furthermore, he missed his best years due to the war and remember his eyesight was declared too poor to fight in the war! Imagine Bradman today, playing on covered wickets, with all that protection, having a bat that means mishit edges race to the boundary, playing professionally with entire an staff supporting him, playing against the worst bowling talents of the modern era, with contacts lenses and being able to play in his physical peak.

I believe that in order for Tendulkar to compare to Bradman he would need to retire with an average around 130+

C

Cave Dweller

It is the age old argument of Amateur vs Professional. But you can not compare two players that played in different times. It is like asking who is better Messi or Maradona?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It is the age old argument of Amateur vs Professional. But you can not compare two players that played in different times. It is like asking who is better Messi or Maradona?

Maradona was hardly the best of his time, let alone ever.
Messi by a mile, he's won the best player in the world two times, the biggest European trophy twice, and won the biggest Spanish competition along the way breaking records for Argentina and Barcelona.

I get you're point though but cricket is more of a line-ball sport where lack of ability plays out on paper and doesn't go unnoticed.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I would consider Tendulkar No. 2, but there are plenty that don't even have him this high, with the likes of Lara, Richards and Pollock competing.

You can't compare between two eras, but you can compare a player to their peers. The fact is that Bradman was not only in another league to his peers, he was in another planet. Tendulkar might be in another league to most of his peers, but not in the same manner as Bradman.

Don't forget in the season that England 'dominated' Bradman, with bodyline tactics (that Tendulkar has never had to contend with) he still averaged over 56, about the same as Tendulkar's career average.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
This is a futile question. The players played in different eras with different pressures. As alredy alluded to Bradman was streets ahead of anyone in that era. Tendulkar? Not really, he is/was good, but he is certainly not streets ahead of his peers in his era. Kallis has a higher test average than him FFS.

C

Cave Dweller

Maradona was hardly the best of his time, let alone ever.
Messi by a mile, he's won the best player in the world two times, the biggest European trophy twice, and won the biggest Spanish competition along the way breaking records for Argentina and Barcelona.

I get you're point though but cricket is more of a line-ball sport where lack of ability plays out on paper and doesn't go unnoticed.
Did not say he was the best just compared 2 players who made a impact on the game and winning a WC is one of those things. But you can ask any one with knowledge about football and will tell you Diego was one of the Best in his time unless you can show me who was better in his era.

I think we should ask who was the better batsman. Brain Lara or Sachin Tendulkar? Both of them have the ability to win matches and series single handedly and once they are set you are in trouble. Lara was more of a fighter than Tendulkar for me as Tendulkar has the knack to fall apart if his team falls apart or not doing well.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
You can't compare between two eras, but you can compare a player to their peers. The fact is that Bradman was not only in another league to his peers, he was in another planet. Tendulkar might be in another league to most of his peers, but not in the same manner as Bradman.

Don't forget in the season that England 'dominated' Bradman, with bodyline tactics (that Tendulkar has never had to contend with) he still averaged over 56, about the same as Tendulkar's career average.
yep, the Don contended with bodyline and played on uncovered pitches.
Tandulkar has scored most of his runs on flat lifeless pitches against a lot of substandard opposition.
Compare the ovals they now play on compared to the good old days before ropes and standard sized fields.You cannot possibly run 4 these days.
I recall an article by Geoff Lawson who believed technology with bats had gone too far. He said he had used a new bat (improved since he had retired) got a thick edge and it still cleared the boundary.Clearly he believes runs are easier to get even since he retired.

C

Cave Dweller

yep, the Don contended with bodyline and played on uncovered pitches.
Tandulkar has scored most of his runs on flat lifeless pitches against a lot of substandard opposition.
Compare the ovals they now play on compared to the good old days before ropes and standard sized fields.You cannot possibly run 4 these days.
I recall an article by Geoff Lawson who believed technology with bats had gone too far. He said he had used a new bat (improved since he had retired) got a thick edge and it still cleared the boundary.Clearly he believes runs are easier to get even since he retired.
The balls got better 2 as well as the bowlers. They have a arsenal of different deliveries and bowlers run in at 140k's a hour. A bat cannot give a person technique nor talent.

V

vacant

Shouldn't be talking about this subject, Donald was a legend. Sachin is a Hero. We are still talking about Donald Bradman to todays point. What will happen Sachin

GlobeTrotter

Chris McKivat (8)
Not as much of a joke question as some are suggesting, I vote Bradman, but not without considering the widespread success (geographically - I mean I think he has scored hundreds against all test nations and sustained brilliance over two decades.

Shouldn't be talking about this subject, Donald was a legend. Sachin is a Hero. We are still talking about Donald Bradman to todays point. What will happen Sachin

Mate I am absolutely sure that Sachin will be talked about just as much as Bradman, if not more, given his god-like status in India.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
definitely sachin, bradman couldnt handle the travel heavy intensity that Sachin has played with for decades

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
Not that I have ever seen him play, but my Dad did and he may be biased but reckons the Don is clearly better. His figure(of the day) were so much better than everyone else surely says something. My Dad was of the opinion that he was not necessarily the nicest allround guy but the best cricketer

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Kallis is a class player, no doubt. But nobody is in the class of Bradman. His record is so far in advance of anyone else in history that frankly I can't believe anyone debates it.

In terms of the greatest cricketers of all time, for me it's:

1, Bradman
2, Sobers
everyone else

Status
Not open for further replies.