• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sachin or Bradman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Kallis is a class player, no doubt. But nobody is in the class of Bradman. His record is so far in advance of anyone else in history that frankly I can't believe anyone debates it.

In terms of the greatest cricketers of all time, for me it's:

1, Bradman
2, Sobers
everyone else
maybe batsman but as cricketer I struggle to find anyone in Kallis class. In the top range as batsman, good bowler and an excellent slip fielder.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
maybe batsman but as cricketer I struggle to find anyone in Kallis class. In the top range as batsman, good bowler and an excellent slip fielder.

I still believe Sobers to be the best all round cricketer to have ever played the game. Kallis of the all rounders to come after him is the closest to his level, but to me Sobers is the best ever.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I still believe Sobers to be the best all round cricketer to have ever played the game. Kallis of the all rounders to come after him is the closest to his level, but to me Sobers is the best ever.
This is suppose to be between Sachin and Bradman, not Kallis and Sobers? Keep it on topic please. ;)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
You started it!!!! :)
:) Always difficult to compare different seasons apples. The way "mik en moer" T20/50 overs cricket dominate the sport these days is the way a legend like Kallis dont get the accolades he deserve. The modern cricket supporter will always go for the fancy batters, the old type grafters (which is the best cricket batting skill) type is nowhere.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I used to think that Kallis batted too much for himself, but I've revised that view in the last couple seasons after he played some important innings for his team.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I used to think that Kallis batted too much for himself, but I've revised that view in the last couple seasons after he played some important innings for his team.
Ja most think like that but they usually totally forget that Kallis was our best batsman who had to stand up while the fancy lot like Cullinan fold against the best Aussie side when you had Warne and McGrath on their best. Kallis seems to change his batting approach lately. Much more attacking , playing his shots. Myself is a Cape Cobra supporter. I realise his value when he change provinces and gave us a hard time when he visited Newlands in his Chevrolate Warrior clothing in finals. Luckily he returned home and is one of us again.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Bradman would be right up there though Bullrush. Few people have dominated their sport like he has. He's the Jordan or Wilt Chamberlain of cricket.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I don't know a huge amount about him - how succesful were the teams he played in?

Very.

His batting average is not far from being double the best of the rest. In a sport where averaging 50 per innings in test cricket is considered world class (less so now, for a number of reasons) he average 99.94. In games Australia won, his average increased to 130. That is stratospheric in cricket terms.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
well the 1948 cricket touring team were called "the Invincibles". Yeah they were pretty good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Invincibles_(cricket)
Was that his last tour? How successful were Aussies over the years Bradman played.
Very.

His batting average is not far from being double the best of the rest. In a sport where averaging 50 per innings in test cricket is considered world class (less so now, for a number of reasons) he average 99.94. In games Australia won, his average increased to 130. That is stratospheric in cricket terms.
His individual numbers are amazing. I just don't know how well that translated into the success of the teams he played in.

My personal greatest sportsman is Michael Jordan (basketball is actually my first love). Not only are his individual stats so dominant but he won almost every award a player could - MVP, Finals MVP, Best Defensive Player, scoring titles, 6 Championships, 2 Olympic gold medals, all-star teams etc. The 6 championships speak volumes about his ability to lift the players around him. The Chicago 'dynasty' to me is all the more impressive because not a lot of teams have won multiple championships without a dominant center like the Bulls did. The Pistons won 2 with an average centre in Lambier.

That's why I ask about Bradmans success on a team level. I should probably learn more about the Aussie legends now I live here :D

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Was that his last tour? How successful were Aussies over the years Bradman played.

His individual numbers are amazing. I just don't know how well that translated into the success of the teams he played in.

My personal greatest sportsman is Michael Jordan (basketball is actually my first love). Not only are his individual stats so dominant but he won almost every award a player could - MVP, Finals MVP, Best Defensive Player, scoring titles, 6 Championships, 2 Olympic gold medals, all-star teams etc. The 6 championships speak volumes about his ability to lift the players around him. The Chicago 'dynasty' to me is all the more impressive because not a lot of teams have won multiple championships without a dominant center like the Bulls did. The Pistons won 2 with an average centre in Lambier.

That's why I ask about Bradmans success on a team level. I should probably learn more about the Aussie legends now I live here :D

According to Cricinfo...

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/4188.html?class=1;template=results;type=batting

Of the tests he played for Australia (52), his team won 30, lost 12 and drew 10. My aforementioned stat about his average in Australian wins is pretty telling. When he played well, they won. Heck, when he played at all they usually won.

In my view his achievements in the sport are at the very least equivalent to Jordan and maybe even surpass them, hard though it is to compare between sports.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Just read this quote from Bradman on Wikipedia:
When considering the stature of an athlete or for that matter any person, I set great store in certain qualities which I believe to be essential in addition to skill. They are that the person conducts his of her life with dignity, with integrity, courage, and perhaps most of all, with modesty. These virtues are totally compatible with pride, ambition, and competitiveness.

He just moved up considerably in my own opinion.... :)

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
They did a cross sport comparison once and bradman's batting average was more standard deviations above the mean than any of sportsman in pretty much any other sport. Better than ruth, jordan, pele etc.

Kallis would have a claim to be best all rounder but!

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
They did a cross sport comparison once and bradman's batting average was more standard deviations above the mean than any of sportsman in pretty much any other sport. Better than ruth, jordan, pele etc.

Kallis would have a claim to be best all rounder but!

It's not even close. There's no-one else that looks slightly like emulating his average.

I'm convinced this thread is just a massive troll.

Status
Not open for further replies.