• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Samo Samo Samo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
From Grumbles today:

Like father, like son: Samo thrilled to be in World Cup contention

AT 35, Radike Samo is delighted to be the father figure of the Wallabies' squad but quick to point out that, despite endless speculation from his teammates, Test halfback Will Genia is not his son.

In a season in which the most penetrative and frightening of back-rowers enjoyed his third Super Rugby final success - two with the Brumbies in 2001 and 2004, and another with the Reds on Saturday night - the long-running gag in Brisbane is that the Test No. 9 is related to the grand-old rugby man.

When the Wallabies' squad was announced on Sunday, Genia admitted that countless people ''reckon I look like his [Samo's] son. He's taller than me. He's nine,'' Genia confessed.

After seven years away from the Wallabies, Samo (proud owner of Australian Rugby's best afro) was yesterday overwhelmed to again be part of the green-and-gold brigade, especially as it will allow him to continue providing parental guidance to Genia.

Asked if Genia really is his son, Samo replied: ''When the Wallabies came back from the European tour last year, he [Genia] had grown an afro. At the same time my son came out to Reds training. All the boys looked around and started calling Will my son's name, Rusi. After that, he [Genia] went home and cut his hair but the boys have just kept calling him Rusi.

''We've been rooming together for the Reds, now with the Wallabies, and the boys have been saying that father and son are now in the same room.''

There is now a strong possibility the Fijian father and Papua New Guinean son will combine when the Wallabies begin their international campaign against Samoa on Sunday, which would cap off an extraordinary comeback.

After six Test appearances in 2004 Samo drifted away, winning a French championship with Stade Francais in 2007, before heading to Japan where Reds' coach Ewen McKenzie tracked him down last year to ask him if he wanted to play Super Rugby again.

Samo certainly did. About the same time Samo had been talking to his wife about how he wouldn't mind one more season in Australia.

''So, yes, I was pretty happy that Ewen called me up to join the Reds' squad. I never thought I would make the starting team. It has been so unbelievable,'' Samo said.

''I also never really thought I would get back into the Wallabies' squad. It's been seven years, and all I wanted to do when I came back to Australia was to have a crack at Super Rugby. So to make this squad is . . . well I can't really believe I'm here.''

And don't worry, Samo's return to the Wallabies' ranks will not involve a short, back and sides haircut. ''I was thinking about cutting it but now reckon I'll keep it for another year.''

Samo will be around for some time yet, having recently signed a two-year contract with the Reds. Even when he is 37 that may not be the end. ''We'll see … [it] depends how the body goes.''

Reds' captain and Wallabies' second-rower James Horwill says he admires Samo's resilience and believes his free spirit will be an invaluable asset at this week's training camp. Horwill added that it was time the Wallabies took full advantage of the Reds' Super triumph.

''I hope we can continue that momentum,'' he said. ''The amount of guys we have down here from the Reds is good testament about how the team has gone about their task this season. But it's not just about the Reds. This whole Wallabies' group has the confidence to beat anyone. We have the self-belief in our ability, and now we have to take that on the park and put it into practice.''

I'm as guilty as any of being mesmerised by the young guns such as Pocock, Beale, Cooper and JOC (James O'Connor). But Radike really warms my heart. If he gets out there this year (and I think he will) then everyone in my house is going to be chanting "Samo, Samo, Samo!".

What a story, and what a good player.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
The burnt coconut tree has been immense. It is almost like he has come back with nothing to prove and nothing to lose and has just revelled in the freedom to just play.

Tops.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Freak. Who will ever forget his one handed runs in the Brumbies Championship teams. I must add when he came back last year he also played a little club rugby for Souths in Sydney and he was dreadful. He was at least 10 to 15 kilo's overweight. The improvement and desire to get back in the frame is fantastic. This though wouldn't have been possible if the Waratah reject hadn't been coaching QLD. Once again Tah's brainstrust you guy's were on fire. Link should have never been fired especially considering his replacement. I know revisionist History can be a problem but this was also indicated at the time.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Freak. Who will ever forget his one handed runs in the Brumbies Championship teams. I must add when he came back last year he also played a little club rugby for Souths in Sydney and he was dreadful. He was at least 10 to 15 kilo's overweight. The improvement and desire to get back in the frame is fantastic. This though wouldn't have been possible if the Waratah reject hadn't been coaching QLD. Once again Tah's brainstrust you guy's were on fire. Link should have never been fired especially considering his replacement. I know revisionist History can be a problem but this was also indicated at the time.
to be fair I think Link has developed since leaving Sydney.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
Just watched the Brumbies-Crusaders final on youtube too.

I didn't know Luis Guzman played rugby for Canterbury!!!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-07-13 at 14.07.30.png
    Screen shot 2011-07-13 at 14.07.30.png
    272.5 KB · Views: 208

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Watching it now!! Wow! I remember watching it at the time and being stunned. I am stunned again. The Brumbies were irrepressible that night.

R

Red Rooster

to be fair I think Link has developed since leaving Sydney.

No question but Link was only gone 14 months - 1 Super season (2009) he missed was all it was. Despite his dismissal from Stade (there have been others since) he coached them to a Semi Final so he probably did learn a few things, like coaching in the French language, so he he is better over time just like you would expect the players to be

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
What sticks in my mind from that game is the first 20 minutes, which were just all Brumbies. The Brumbies won that game in the first 20, where they just dominated the Crusaders across the park.

If I remember correctly, it was a fairly even game after that first 20 or 30 minutes.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Oh, and if I remember correctly, it was the game that stuck Ben Blair into Crusader folklore. Many Crusader fan are still bitter about his performance and refer to bad finals performances as "Ben Blair-esque". I reckon this was also a prime reason why the talented young fullback soon went overseas.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Gerrard scored 3 tries that night.

He was the form Australian winger.

Selected in the first test against Scotland.

Did his hammy. Misses the domestic test season.

Is fit for the EOYT.

Selected on the wing against Scotland (prety sure it was also Scotland).

Does his hammy again.

Never returns the same.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Radike has been the feel good story of the year. I love the fact that the old bloke still has the desire to do the job and done it he has. Hats off to him.

And the Brumbies were awesome in that 2004 final. Absolutely incredible.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I love the Kiwi commentators:

"The Brumbies have... arguably... been the best team this year"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did the Brumbies spend a single week of that year below 1st place?

They smashed the Blues (the 2003 champs) in week one and it pretty much flogged most teams, but did drop 3 away games.

Status
Not open for further replies.