• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SBW set to walk out on NZRU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Linky http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/5525260/SBW-A-mans-entitled-to-change-his-mind

I was a huge doubter of SBW this year and was starting to come around and become a fan of his play. He is still nowhere near levels of hype and bullshit that some go on with but IMHO he was in the best 5 centres of the Super tournament this year. As with so many other magnificent Super players he has struggled to put that form on the Test paddock against top line opposition. In the tests this year on form he is clearly behind Fourie, JdV, Smith and Nonu in my book and about even with McAbe. He offers a huge threat with his offloading but does have some other issues he needs to work on to rank near those above him.

I would not be surprised to see SBW walk and either take the big money in Euroland (which may not be all that secure with the financial issues continuing to develop there) or return to the NRL with its big advantages of limitted travel/time away from home.

D

daz

Meh. Mercenary. Always was, always will be.

Good luck to him, but I doubt many loyal AB fans would want someone who puts a premium on dollars rather than the jersey.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Explains the big dummy sitting on my lawn this morning. Obviously Mr Williams has adopted the attitude if I can't play I will take my bat and ball and go home. i was a supporter of his and still think of him as a great player however he certainly does have a problem with honouring his word - just ask rugby league players.

He has pissed off the mungoes and now he will more than liekly piss off the toffs so i hope Kevin Sheedy at GWS has no plans for him

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
not really a worry i would think? kiwi thoughts on this?

his major followers in NZ are in canterbury, but he's walking out on them....

He walked out on his league contract. he's a total mercenary and I just don't see what you want that in your team for.

He's behind JDV, Nonu, Barnes, Faainga and Tapui in my books for 12's in super rugby. both the qld boys shut him down. He's sensational against lesser opposition, but you put him up against the top echelon and they know how to shut down his offloading, and that's his only weapon.

yes he lit up scotland....but he lit up scotland he hasn't done anything really at test level beyond that. The Man hypes him up same with khoder. I think rugby was looking for a big name to attract the fans and they pumped him up...but he's not the big name. there are plenty of others around at the moment.

he and his entourage are tiresome.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
love that he might walk because its not going as well as he thought. so weak.

its like his boxing career. he's money against an overweight tongan on welfare, but throw him up against well....nearly anyone who's fought before and he'll get killed.

put him up against chris patterson and he'll run amok...put him up against a young gun from QLD and he won't do much.

if he's walking away, really doesn't seem like there's that much fight in him when all is said and done. but he has some pretty sweet friends to chill out with.

Q

QuadeCooperFan

did anyone see the news? Jonah Lomu wants to fight him!!

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Hey. It's not about money. He just has to make the right choices for his family.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I completely rate the guy, more than Nonu in fact. I think Nonu is prone to brain fades in defense that our backline can prey on. But for some reason that isn't apparent to me SBW spends all of his time playing the team game when he should back himself to break the line more often. Maybe its a league thing. I genuinely believe he has the potential to be as dangerous as Fourie in attack, while still being one of the best defensive centres in rugby. Not gonna happen tho, Nonu has played superbly and locked him out. SBW needed to shred the Boks line a few times the other week, but instead he played the percentages game. Ironic in a team that plays percentages, eh?

As good as Nonu is, SBW has it in him to be more dangerous at linebreaks in my view, but his chance to prove it is dwindling very fast indeed and he has no one to blame but himself.

I also wonder if he realises how badly his reputation is being sunk by his manager?

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
did anyone see the news? Jonah Lomu wants to fight him!!

that would be awesome. I would be barracking for Jonah.

@Athilnaur - he is getting some really poor advice and has been for a few years. he's still with them (by them i mean khoder and mundine) so i assume he has no idea. a friend of mine met him at a dinner last year and chatted with him for a good 15 minutes. He reckons in a battle of the IQ's between SBW and Todd Carney, Carney would come out on top.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
He did really well for the Crusaders this year, had some blinders. However, Maa Nonu is a better inside centre than him. If he can't handle that and can't be bothered trying to improve next year in order to get that spot. Tough luck, go back to league if you want to be some sort of God.

Bon

Ward Prentice (10)
Unfortunately he didn't decide to, "'maybe change his mind", until after being picked for the WC squad. With Kahui, Toeava and others committed to playing their rugby in NZ I believe we could easily do without Williams. He could become a great player,but in my opinion isn't there yet. I always thought he lacked commitment, many over here seem to think that stems from his management and close friends. He might just have conned us with his "' I'm just a humble Kiwi boy trying to follow his dream"' line,or maybe he is sincere, who knows? Personally I'm sick of the whole circus. Sign up, play the game or buggar off. We have done pretty well before he came along I'm sure we will manage to be competitive after he has gone.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
@Athilnaur - he is getting some really poor advice and has been for a few years. he's still with them (by them i mean khoder and mundine) so i assume he has no idea. a friend of mine met him at a dinner last year and chatted with him for a good 15 minutes. He reckons in a battle of the IQ's between SBW and Todd Carney, Carney would come out on top.

I think this is SBW's biggest problem. He's a young guy who isn't the sharpest tool in the shed and unfortunately he's got several A grade f#ckheads providing him with advice.

If he had some better advisors he might be a little poorer, but he'd probably also be universally liked. He's a pretty incredible athlete. The guy is a weapon.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Hope the Kiwis don't totally buy into the media frenzy that is gonna surround this. I for one don't for a second think he is expecting or demanding a jersey. Mundine on the other hand is, to hijack a phrase used on TSF, a piston-wristed gibbon.

And yeah, none of this is lost on us re Quade Cooper. Sobering thought given that Quade hasn't exactly covered himself in glory with his judgement to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.