• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School Girl Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbycheersquad

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hi all, testing the waters here. Unsure whether this is the right place to put this but (seems the most appropriate place) I'm sure I'll be corrected if needed. I have a 14 year old daughter who is very keen to play. I have had some good feedback from Sydney Uni and also from the NSWRU. Anybody else out there with teenaged girls ready to play? Massive gap for girls of high school age.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Where in Sydney are you?? I'm mates with the NSW women's coach, might be able to help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rugbycheersquad

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hi Blindsider, We are inner west Sydney. Big issue seems to be her age, if younger she could play with the boys, if older with a women's team. As I understand it there are some developments going on, but was trying to get a feel for whether other girls of a similar age might be interested. Got a fair few reads on this thread but yours the only comment so far, so I am none the wiser.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
RCS, at the SJRU AGM Tony Cooper (Killara West Pymble JRC) was appointed SJRU Director of Girls Rugby. Probably best to contact Kerry Brady Kerry Brady kbrady@nswrugby.com.au or Matt Kellahan MKellahan@nswrugby.com.au to see what they have planned.

Tony is passionate about Girls Rugby and has been looking to develop the sport for years.

I believe the ARU see the development pathway for girls being Viva 7s (sevens touch) but there is a lot of push back about cost.

Good luck with the options around. A lot more than there used to be and hopefully with success in Dubai and the profile of the support in Rio next year it will go from strength to strength.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
In Qld there is an option through 7's comps that the QRU run, for anyone else interested outside Sydney. Contact the QRU and speak to you school to get involved. Hopefully a big push this year with the Women being a great shot at a medal in Rio.

Sunnybank Rugby have run a 7's program in the past, normally in term 4. Well worth contacting the club if anyone is interested.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Hi Blindsider, We are inner west Sydney. Big issue seems to be her age, if younger she could play with the boys, if older with a women's team. As I understand it there are some developments going on, but was trying to get a feel for whether other girls of a similar age might be interested. Got a fair few reads on this thread but yours the only comment so far, so I am none the wiser.

How inner in the inner west?
Maroubra have a women's side that plays in 7s comps regularly in all age groups.
Does the youngster play oztag? Also a good way to improve and also meet people in those circles.

rugbycheersquad

Frank Nicholson (4)
Thank you all so much for your comments. Petersham is how far inner west we are, Blindsider and via Sydney Uni Women's Rugby and the NSWRU I have been put into contact with Maroubra. My daughter now has a mouthguard and some boots and she's ready to try herself. First training next week!

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Thank you all so much for your comments. Petersham is how far inner west we are, Blindsider and via Sydney Uni Women's Rugby and the NSWRU I have been put into contact with Maroubra. My daughter now has a mouthguard and some boots and she's ready to try herself. First training next week!

Awesome

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Hi all, testing the waters here. Unsure whether this is the right place to put this but (seems the most appropriate place) I'm sure I'll be corrected if needed. I have a 14 year old daughter who is very keen to play. I have had some good feedback from Sydney Uni and also from the NSWRU. Anybody else out there with teenaged girls ready to play? Massive gap for girls of high school age.

Totally agree on the gap. My daughter is in U10's this year, her 5th year of playing and after U12 she will have to stop playing with the boys and is conscious of the lack of options thereafter. We've been trying to get the QRU and the clubs interested in developing some sort of girls comp as many families are unwilling for their daughters to play against boys but would be okay if it was against other girls. Sevens is definitely seen as the vehicle for females, and given the success of the Australian women's 7's team that is understandable, but at this point there is not even a 7's comp for girls until around 16 years old I believe.

rugbycheersquad

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hi Blindsider. . . . but did any of their dads run on like Harinordoquy's or George Norths (didn't actually know about the second one until trying to remember the first guy's name)!

rugbycheersquad

Frank Nicholson (4)
NeilC I can only speak for what I know of Sydney (which is by no means a lot). I think several clubs are trying to sort out girl's 7s sides and this starts at under 14s, so girls may be able to play from 12 plus. The big variable is the numbers, but momentum seems to be speeding. Good luck for your daughter. My daughter is 14 1/2 and she'll play U16s. .

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
If anyone is keen to grow the game for girls in NSW heres a role for you.

http://www.sportspeople.com.au/sp/position/PositionDisplay.asp?ID=37805

Interesting role, great to see the NSW Rugby Union taking this initiative. The QRU a couple of seasons ago held a 'girls only' day training camp at Ballymore (Reds training base) which was very good - got lots of girls along, run by female coaches and had the Qld Womens 7's squad attend and run some demos, plus a couple of the big name Reds players came along to talk to the girls about rugby. I think it was a good initiative that they should run regularly and other states should replicate.

rugbycheersquad

Frank Nicholson (4)
The second thing is an initiative from SJRU which is kicking off fairly shortly. I don't seem to be able to link the flyer, but clubs such was Gordon, Norths, Parramatta, Eastwood, Manly West Harbour, Randwick, Warringah, Penrith, Southern Districts and Sydney Uni have or are developing squads. If, like me, you have a daughter keen to try her hand, you know who to call.

rugbycheersquad

Frank Nicholson (4)
Come  Try Women\'s Rugby.png

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Geez would be good to see the $50 charge dropped from this. The aru(nswru /build corp??) is trying to introduce girls to try heavens game, many of whom are new, and the first thing they encounter is a $50 fee. They don't all live in the east/nth shore. FFS, forget the t shirt they will never wear again and have a pay as you go BBQ. Let's try and attract rather than repel as many girls as can be had.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Geez would be good to see the $50 charge dropped from this. The aru(nswru /build corp??) is trying to introduce girls to try heavens game, many of whom are new, and the first thing they encounter is a $50 fee. They don't all live in the east/nth shore. FFS, forget the t shirt they will never wear again and have a pay as you go BBQ. Let's try and attract rather than repel as many girls as can be had.

Yep looks like an odd way to recruit girls to the sport. Surely the student union could wear the cost??? Maybe have one less keg night.......

Status
Not open for further replies.