• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
He stood up and said
" I suppose you're all here hoping to hear me talk about how healthy the code is? Well I'm sorry I can't . All we will be doing in the foreseeable future is defending the territory we already hold. Wallabies, Super 14rugby and GPS schools. You guys are on your own."

You could have heard a pin drop.

The above was attributed to then ARU High Performance Manager Pat Howard, speaking at a non-GPS school in Qld in 2009. (See ARU Financial Status thread)

Sort of says it all doesn't it?

That is what passes for strategy at the ARU.

la plus ça change, le plus le même chose

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
He stood up and said
" I suppose you're all here hoping to hear me talk about how healthy the code is? Well I'm sorry I can't . All we will be doing in the foreseeable future is defending the territory we already hold. Wallabies, Super 14rugby and GPS schools. You guys are on your own."

You could have heard a pin drop.

The above was attributed to then ARU High Performance Manager Pat Howard, speaking at a non-GPS school in Qld in 2009. (See ARU Financial Status thread)

Sort of says it all doesn't it?

That is what passes for strategy at the ARU.

la plus ça change, le plus le même chose

The truth of this has to be questioned as Pat Howard resigned from the ARU in February 2008. He may have said it as a private individual but not as an employee of the ARU in 2009.

http://www.news.com.au/national/howard-to-quit-aru-for-family/story-e6frfkp9-1111115615798

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/2155789/nucifora-looks-set-end-blues-era/

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Originally posted by muvmyrugby on Financial Status thread. (Which is why I indicated 'attributed to')

Date may be wrong or may have been after he left the organisation.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yes, it was effectively an audition for scholarship/bursaries. So much easier to recruit when all the talent is at the one place.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yes, it was effectively an audition for scholarship/bursaries. So much easier to recruit when all the talent is at the one place.

Well, my latest mail is that the NSW schools u16 comp - where CHS CCC CAS play President's XVs - is still going ahead.
Also the zone trials and possible interstate games may still take place in the club scene - same as ti is for u15s.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
So is the one where SJRU, CJRU, NSW Schools 16s and Barbarians played the one that they've discontinued?

So many different levels and pathways, it's hard to keep up.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Where does this leave the ever shrinking SJRU and the CJRU? They appear to be the ones to miss out.

Well based on today's emails i think the SJRU and NSWJRU and NSWSRU are looking like they have more idea than the ARU.
I can see a chasm opening up here in the short term.
I'm backing schools and the JRU's to get the better of the ARU.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So the ARU decide to discontinue the championships and the grass roots ignore them and organise their own championships.

Stop it, I can't take anymore, this comedy is just too funny.:)
I know this off topic but I can't help feeling that this is just what the ARU wants- let the grass roots pay its $200 and then please itself while it chases the idea that where all others have failed the ARU can identify future wallabies at 13/14 for inclusion in JGC.
All one needs to do is look at the colts thread, where CTPE mentions his son who spent 3 years in JGS, and is not playing in his first year out of school to see the tip of this iceberg.
Despite that it may be that the ARU needs the private school recruiting more Han ever: it saves money!

Status
Not open for further replies.