• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
  • A focus on maximising the potential of each boy - academic ability, character, and sporting skills:
  • a traditional approach to AAGPS values and practices:
  • strong pastoral support.

I could go on but I've got a PR CV to polish.
I would also tend to say location, location, location.......

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Why does Shore have such strong demand? What makes it a better option for C of E North Shore parents than Knox or Barker?

Knox is Uniting Church (was Presbyterian) and is at Wahroonga, while Barker is at Hornsby. Location for both ok if one is on upper north shore train line, but a problem for those on the lower north shore, northern beaches and other parts of Sydney. Shore on the other hand is at North Sydney, about 30 seconds walk from the railway station, which is also a transport hub for buses from the lower north shore and northern beaches.

More importantly for some, Shore is a GPS school, whereas the other 2 aren't. It also seems to me that Shore has maintained a fairly traditional outlook on education and isn't given to the latest educational gimics, and in keeping with this thread, Shore recognises that sport is there to complement the academic process, not to overwhelm it.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Why does Shore have such strong demand? What makes it a better option for C of E North Shore parents than Knox or Barker?
There was a very interesting interactive tool on the Australian website a couple of years ago that enabled you to plot and track the 'value add' of the top X schools by examining comparative performance between Yr 7 and Yr 9 NAPLAN results. The premise was simple enough - with a priveleged intake, if all they achieve over 6 years is to spit students out at about the same relative level they were at in Yr 7, then apart from a bit of rugby/rowing/$150-200K parental impoverishment, what has been achieved? Anyway, IIRC, SHORE was the sole GPS/CAS school that added demonstrable improvement over the 2 test periods. Add that to the attributes quoted above and its attractions could be viewed as quite compelling.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Knox is Uniting Church (was Presbyterian) and is at Wahroonga, while Barker is at Hornsby. Location for both ok if one is on upper north shore train line, but a problem for those on the lower north shore, northern beaches and other parts of Sydney. Shore on the other hand is at North Sydney, about 30 seconds walk from the railway station, which is also a transport hub for buses from the lower north shore and northern beaches.

More importantly for some, Shore is a GPS school, whereas the other 2 aren't. It also seems to me that Shore has maintained a fairly traditional outlook on education and isn't given to the latest educational gimics, and in keeping with this thread, Shore recognises that sport is there to complement the academic process, not to overwhelm it.

"other parts of Sydney?" I don't know of any Shore Old Boy not from the North Shore.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
There was a very interesting interactive tool on the Australian website a couple of years ago that enabled you to plot and track the 'value add' of the top X schools by examining comparative performance between Yr 7 and Yr 9 NAPLAN results. The premise was simple enough - with a priveleged intake, if all they achieve over 6 years is to spit students out at about the same relative level they were at in Yr 7, then apart from a bit of rugby/rowing/$150-200K parental impoverishment, what has been achieved? Anyway, IIRC, SHORE was the sole GPS/CAS school that added demonstrable improvement over the 2 test periods. Add that to the attributes quoted above and its attractions could be viewed as quite compelling.

Meanwhile in the Eastern Suburbs

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...dent-performance/story-fnpn118l-1227408655762

BeastieBoy

Herbert Moran (7)
Interesting news is that Scots have made sport non compulsory for years 11 and 12. If you take the view that Scots want to headline in everything they do. Then this seems an effort to bolster their academic results by using those not so inclined to sport.What will that mean down the track? Well many schools seem to be adopting Scots Fee inflation. Maybe some will adopt this measure too. So you say why stop there. Eventually make it non compulsory for senior school. There are already more kids playing soccer than rugby. This will mean the schools will have to go outside their traditional GPS CAS Associations. Will it affect scholarships? Not likely.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
It's probably an economic decision. Feedback from new parents coming through that they want academic results for their $$$; expansion plans down the tubes so no extra enrolments; less to pay staff to supervise *DELETED* on a Saturday; fewer buses to fork out for.

If they can get the punters through the door by offering world domination in every sport AND music AND drama AND the atar golden ticket, then it doesn't matter if all these are achieved by boys who are effectively separate cohorts all in the one year group. It effectively means that the concept of a GPS school producing a well-rounded young man is now optional at Scots.

*Be very careful about how you refer to schoolboys - if in doubt read the forum rules.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
It's probably an economic decision.

It may also have something to do with the scarcity (and expense) of training grounds mid week and playing fields on Saturdays.

Having said that however, Scots did go down the no-compulsory-sport for Year 12s many years ago under the previous Principal. The reason then was transparent: to allow senior students more time to study for the HSC. That decision was reversed fairly quickly.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Sport was not compulsory in the final year when I was at Shore (30 + years ago). I assumed this was always the case and the other schools were the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.