• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
2 Terms of compulsory boarding in Year 9 would bring it up to around $48,000 I suspect. For day boys, this would only apply in Year 9 and not other years.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
2 Terms of compulsory boarding in Year 9 would bring it up to around $48,000 I suspect. For day boys, this would only apply in Year 9 and not other years.

Indeed - the OP said year 7, so hard to see this as anything other than talking out one's arse. They're talking 6 months out of 6 years and using the most expensive subset to classify the whole. People should try to be accurate, otherwise their arguments hold no water.
I do realise the irony of posting this in this thread. ;)

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
The Australian Boarding School Expo website (with a 2016 date stamp) shows Scots' annual tuition fees are $32,610 to $33,098: boarding adds $17,069 to $24,121.
Thus a full sporting scholarship for a year 7 boarder at TSC would see the college forego income of between $49679 and $57219.
Very close to Beastieboy's $48k. The costs to Scots would be minimised by weekly boarding, day-boy attendance, and parental contributions to technology fees and other add-ons.

The key question is "Is the practice of sporting scholarships at Scots still occurring?" I have no evidence one way or the other.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
At least one school has recruited a talented athlete for 2016/17.

have a new 11 student who played NSWPSSA u12 rugby union with Sam Abbey, QLD schoolboys u15 rugby league, along with NSWCHS u16 rugby union and Newcastle Knights u16 in Harold Matts in 2015. Appears he will be a welcome addition and will be pushing for selection in the 1st XV this year as a 17 year old.

Huly

Chris McKivat (8)

have a new 11 student who played NSWPSSA u12 rugby union with Sam Abbey, QLD schoolboys u15 rugby league, along with NSWCHS u16 rugby union and Newcastle Knights u16 in Harold Matts in 2015. Appears he will be a welcome addition and will be pushing for selection in the 1st XV this year as a 17 year old.

He is of Indigenous Australian background so he may have been a recipient of an Indigenous Australian Scholarship for SJC

Joker

Greg Davis (50)

Must have been swayed by this video

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
I understand Riverview have picked up Dom Easy from Pius, don't know if there was a scholarship involved.
Will be interesting to see where he ends up in the pecking order.
He is a very good ISA player.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hmmmmm, we live in interesting times.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/educ...op-private-sydney-school-20160222-gn0yq5.html

School Council sacked. Church takes over due to governance concerns. "The application of the governance model being pursued by the Council was resulting in corporate objectives out weighing the educational mission of The Scots College"

Top priority to extend Dr Lambert's contract.
"Amongst the first agenda items for the Management Committee is to make arrangements with Dr Lambert for an extension to his contract of employment as Principal which would otherwise expire at the end of this year."

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
A bit of grapeshot across the bows of quite a few other elite schools here. Maybe some of them will reappraise their commitment to educating their charges.

I might be out of line here as I'm a Sydneysider, and not completely aware of sporting scholarship practices elsewhere, but I gather the aggregation of talented sporting youngsters at some GPS schools in Brisbane is quite rife; there doesn't seem to be the angst up there as there is here. Will this development cause Churchie/Southport/Nudgee to reconsider their approach to sporting scholarships?

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
A bit of grapeshot across the bows of quite a few other elite schools here. Maybe some of them will reappraise their commitment to educating their charges.

I might be out of line here as I'm a Sydneysider, and not completely aware of sporting scholarship practices elsewhere, but I gather the aggregation of talented sporting youngsters at some GPS schools in Brisbane is quite rife; there doesn't seem to be the angst up there as there is here. Will this development cause Churchie/Southport/Nudgee to reconsider their approach to sporting scholarships?

Our Northern neighbours don't disguise the fact that they offer sporting bursaries and scholarships to talented lads. A quick look at each of their websites confirms the open approach. However there appears to be trouble in their paradise as well with such scholarships and bursaries being awarded to year 12 lads.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Hmmmmm, we live in interesting times.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/educ...op-private-sydney-school-20160222-gn0yq5.html

School Council sacked. Church takes over due to governance concerns. "The application of the governance model being pursued by the Council was resulting in corporate objectives out weighing the educational mission of The Scots College"

Top priority to extend Dr Lambert's contract.
"Amongst the first agenda items for the Management Committee is to make arrangements with Dr Lambert for an extension to his contract of employment as Principal which would otherwise expire at the end of this year."

There has got to be more to this story.

It seems somewhat contradictory to say the least.

The story sites parents complaining about the fees and mentions the infamous Hypoxic chamber as an example of the excesses at the school.

But it seems that the board that was dismissed actually wanted to reduce fees.

We have also seen some high profile sporting staff depart the school.

And it seems that by reading between the lines that the dismissed board may not have wanted to renew Dr lamberts contract (as this is the first priority of the new board)

So it looks like the board which only established in 2014 was aware of these issues and looked to be making some progress. So why would they be dismissed??

The story is obviously written from a press release issued from the school, so we are only getting that side.

But the NIS analysis of it would conclude that the board waned Dr Lambert gone (and his wayward ideas of sporting bursaries etc).
Dr Lambert knew this and had God intervene to save him.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
There has got to be more to this story.

It seems somewhat contradictory to say the least.

But the NIS analysis of it would conclude that the board waned Dr Lambert gone (and his wayward ideas of sporting bursaries etc).
Dr Lambert knew this and had God intervene to save him.

Agree with your analysis @NIS. I smelleth something most foul in the city of Copenhagan.

As Eric Idle said: "A lot has been said about politics; Some of it complimentary, but most of it accurate."

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
The Telegraph have also picked this story (most of it copied off SMH)

But does talk about a power struggle.

"School staff reportedly claimed the unprecedented move came after an internal power struggle between headmaster Dr Ian Lambert, whose contract was up for review this year, and former council members.

The board’s dismissal comes in the wake of parental complaints about rising school fees.
Scots college charges its students more than $30,000 a year and was slated to increase by two percent this year.

In 2013 the school earned revenues of more than $38 million from its 1800 students.
The parent of one Year 8 student said the college was becoming “ridiculously elitist”.
“You just can’t afford to pay the fees, you have to be a merchant banker or a partner in a law firm,” she said.
However, Mr Falls said there was “no link between the question of school fees and the the decision of the Trustees”.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
I realise that Scot's college have a number of Rugby teams amongst their pupil population,(not to mention other sporting & cultural groups)but does this situation with the board warrant any ongoing discussion on G & G Rugby pages?

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
My friends who have had sons there said he was on the nose with parents after he had dragged brand "$COTS" through the mud throughout his tenure which was dogged with massive over spending on sports stars, crumbling buildings and bright bus ads. It is no secret what is CEO Lambert's dream.......SCOTS.Inc.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Probably best to leave discussion about the reasons behind the sacking of the board to idle speculation, and just comment on here about what impact that decision may have on any further enrollment "anomalies" at said school, particularly their rugby teams, which is what the topic of this thread is about.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
My thoughts are that now the twin TSC rugby super scouts have moved down the hill to Cranbrook, the days of mass anomalies in one team will end. There are still a few "triangle scholarships" at the school but these will thin out in the next three years. The program though will continue to focus on the top team with much money spent on suits, cocktail parties and tours to far flug exotic locations to promote the Scots brand.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
200_s.gif

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
The impact of the Presbyterian Church's decision to dismiss the Scots College Council will be to strengthen the Principal's hand. He drove the sporting expenditure increases since he first arrived at the school and now has had his strategy supported in the fiercest, most public way imaginable.
The only question will be what the school spends its sporting budget on, not will the spending decrease.
I imagine the current 1st XV coach is more than capable of selecting young talent, as has been done so successfully in previous years by others.
This thread has many more miles in it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.