• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Maybe they need to get some management consultants in as the scholarship money apparently being spent does not seem to be producing any silverware.

And they could have a look at the rugby programme there while they're at it. Bucketloads of cash, but still got towelled up by Joeys.

At least Lambert did it all successfully.

Troy Dickson

Herbert Moran (7)
To the point, apparently, where some of their own students don't even have time to study because of training commitments.

Quick Hands why you always so negative for ? How do you know that these students don't have time to study ? Are you the local education counselor for some or all of these schools receiving complaints about the amount of time the players are being subject to training?

Healthy body + healthy mind = results in the academic arena.

Whats the difference between training for rugby or sitting in a sound room practicing a violin ?

Whats the difference between training for rugby or sitting on the couch or laying in bed playing with an iPod / iPad ??

So what if the student put in extras for a few months over the winter period, they probably make their study time up in the spring / summer time whilst all those swimmers and rowers are out training like the rugby players in the winter and like the pianist / violinist do all year round.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Quick Hands why you always so negative for ? How do you know that these students don't have time to study ? Are you the local education counselor for some or all of these schools receiving complaints about the amount of time the players are being subject to training?

Healthy body + healthy mind = results in the academic arena.

Whats the difference between training for rugby or sitting in a sound room practicing a violin ?

Whats the difference between training for rugby or sitting on the couch or laying in bed playing with an iPod / iPad ??

So what if the student put in extras for a few months over the winter period, they probably make their study time up in the spring / summer time whilst all those swimmers and rowers are out training like the rugby players in the winter and like the pianist / violinist do all year round.

You obviously have read the comments (by others) that students are having to do pathways (HSC over 2 years) to fit their study in.

I'm actually just voicing my opinion, just like you. That's what these threads are for. If you have a different view, just express it - you might be surprised to discover that some people agree and others disagree with you.

People are allowed to have a different view you know.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
You obviously have read the comments (by others) that students are having to do pathways (HSC over 2 years) to fit their study in.

I'm actually just voicing my opinion, just like you. That's what these threads are for. If you have a different view, just express it - you might be surprised to discover that some people agree and others disagree with you.

People are allowed to have a different view you know.
I'm sorry. I just couldn't resist it

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
And they could have a look at the rugby programme there while they're at it. Bucketloads of cash, but still got towelled up by Joeys.

At least Lambert did it all successfully.
To give the Devil his due QH, the goal was probably domination of CAS rather than NSW schools rugby, which Williams achieved last year. But yes, a better show was expected on Sat given the many months of summer rugby. Perhaps a couple more matches could be added to the one played on the annual 8 day NZ tour.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
To give the Devil his due QH, the goal was probably domination of CAS rather than NSW schools rugby, which Williams achieved last year. But yes, a better show was expected on Sat given the many months of summer rugby. Perhaps a couple more matches could be added to the one played on the annual 8 day NZ tour.

Or maybe the kids could have been allowed to play a summer sport with their mates? Hard to keep mentally up for one sport year round. (particularly for adolescent boys I'd have thought).

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Or maybe the kids could have been allowed to play a summer sport with their mates? Hard to keep mentally up for one sport year round. (particularly for adolescent boys I'd have thought).

hard to believe that those with an educational background, of which I assume there are some at Warrawee, would cop this type of win at all costs attitude.
The problem of course is that when you don't "win" what you have left is "all costs".

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Theres no "And" re Williams - he's a (very large) part of the "all costs".

There appears to be considerable angst (whether right or wrong) with Williams.

Personally I think the Knox programme is flawed, elitist and is not aligned to developing Knox rugby for all. As to how it plays out in the cas competition we will see in the weeks ahead.

What has fascinated me about the posts since Knox and Joeys played on Saturday is that the focus has been on how "GPS" takes all the talent from the pool to feed their top teams.

If this is the case, can someone explain to me how joeys won all but 2 games against Knox from under 13s to opens in 28 games?

I would have thought joeys should be congratulated on developing a rugby programme where players of all ability are trained well, are fit and above all want to contribute to the collective success of the school.

That collective passion you won't get from a summer rugby programme for the invited gifted and talented.

Rob hart

Billy Sheehan (19)
I'm thinking that the only "pure" contest tomorrow in the GPS will be between Shore and Scots ........... Now that should set this thread going....

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
There's certainly been some questionable arrivals at Hunters Hill and Lane Cove in the off season. Suspect that triangle section of the band is full at both places.:)

As I observed a few pages back, had said boys suddenly arrived at Bellevue Hill or Stanmore, we would have gone into meltdown on this thread.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not every talented player lobbing up "late" to an AAGPS school is there because of an enrollment anomaly which mistakingly identified some musical ability in the student.

I know of some rep level (NSW U20 & NSW Schools) players who enrolled at their AAGPS school for senior college only because that was all the family could afford (including using up a Grandparent Scholarship to help). It probably helped their overall rugby development and gained some exposure to more clipboards but those students were on full tariff. It probably upset the parents of Nigel Snetterton-Mullosc when young Nigel was relegated to the 16Bs, & 2nd XV as a result.

On the other hand, I know of some families who make no secret of the fact that their offspring are only at their AAGPS school because of a very generous funding arrangement between them and the school, or a related third party. No issue with the families taking advantage of that. They haven't made a Code of Conduct agreement relating to not offering inducements.

There isn't always fire under the smoke, and while we are all guilty of it at times, we should be careful with some of the sweeping statements and assumptions we make.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Late? Moi?

I've had a room at the Hotel California since August 2010. Post #100.

The wheels on the bus go round and round. Every year we get a new group of passengers who think they are the first.

Sometimes the folks on the back seat of the bus need to remind the newbies how things are done around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.