• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
You guys would go great at question time in Parliament

No. I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face. Too many clowns

Clown-Bill-Shorten.jpg

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Every school seems to have late arrivals ... and who really knows the circumstances

At joeys ... I don’t think hickey (7) has been there long... Yet Nelson Roberts , a great breakaway,I know has been there since year 7. Gibbs was def a late arrival ... as I believe he played in the only cranbrook team to beat Scots several years back. However given Gibbs dad is well known Dr Nathan Gibbs , I doubt there is a scholarship

Auggies ... I know of kids being offered to come across but pay the same fees that they were paying at other cheaper catholic schools

At Waverley there seems to be late arrivals with close links to easts NRL, and given no kitty for scholarships, I hear whispers that Roosters money might be behind enrolments

Scots def should be congratulated on indigenous program, but they are often surprisingly athletically inclined

And Scots somewhat similar to Waverley has some mystery men

Shore I thought were bringing out an indigenous scholarship... but thought nothing came of it?

Trinity stranglehold on CAS swimming is evidence of something other than a better pool

Is any of this really a big deal?

Joker ... who normally has the best sense of humour, turns darkly serious

Thank god the 11 year drought is broken ;)

To me ... I really couldn’t care, it’s never been about the winning ... altgh I do concede whatever can lead to cricket scores can’t do anyone any real good

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Shore I thought were bringing out an indigenous scholarship. but thought nothing came of it?

Yes Shore started one about 3 years ago and it's been steadily improving (they certainly have places set aside for Indigenous boys, I am not sure it's an official scholarship). At the start a lot of the boys were finding the adjustment hard but I believe they've managed to make it easier by improving their support services etc.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
This entire thread makes me chuckle. Guys defending their patch and arguing about the minutiae of who does what and where.

We've been told repeatedly that there's no scholarships.

The natural and only conclusion for why AAGPS is so vastly superior in rugby to CHS, is that rich people have better sports genes than poor people.

And, in the case of Scots, the absolute best sports genes are the nouveau riche variety.
:)

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Joker ... I said "dark" ... not skanky :(

NO way Joeys aren't that "povo" ... as my kids call it

Take this years Joeys 1sts ... ma and pa ...are by and large either well-to-do, or in some cases "minted"

so while I hear Jude Gibbs cops the banter, for being a Cranbrook boy .. he is almost the poor cousin

sadly the sons of farmer/graziers are being replaced by sons of wealthy publicans, phramacists, business owners, wealthy accountants, doctors and lawyers

Joeys has more kids from leafy Lane Cove / waterfront Hunters Hill than from Dubbo or Cowra.

Probably this demographic shift explains the absence of the hard-edge that once characterised Joeys.

Tell me how many Joeys lads (1st xv) are sons of farmers?

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Tell me how many Joeys lads (1st xv) are sons of farmers?

I will get my brains trust onto this. But you are right. The demographics of the school have changed with now 55% of the school coming from Sydney. Hunters Hill still provides the most then Dubbo.

Many put the change in Joeys 1st XV fortune down to the 2008 introduction of laptops to the school. In 2007, and before, kids would spend their winter free time honing their skills in endless games of touch footie. Then the laptops turned up and kids stopped playing as much. The hard edge is still there considering the stability in winning ratio's across the 40+ teams but the top end of the tree lapsed I feel due to the ramping up of other school programs. (importing, scientific training and "milkshakes") This year Joeys revamped their physical training with greater emphasis it seems on cardio and lower body/core strength. This was brought in by the new strength and conditioning coach who I believe is ex-Waratah Kevin O'Kane. While they may not physically dominant teams like they did in the past years, they now will out run them and tackle longer. As I said in my review, huge, super strong in the upper body players always stop running late in the game but highly conditioned and super fit will not. Joeys have just worked out how to combat the super big by being super fit instead.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Joker, I cannot link things ... as I am an IT dinosaur

however google "The weight evolution of the All Blacks: Supersize Only"

and you will see the Kiwis are going for big, bigger and biggest

and we know how the Wobblies are going against that

so if Joeys want to compete with $cots and Newington ...in the years to come .... they might need to get with the programme

as 2018 was a rare year, where endurance beat "size and power"

and Joeys lost in my view all their games due to SIZE ... think Barker and Trinity

So don't knock those milk-shakes ... they are good bro :rolleyes:

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
BTW.Joeys is unusual as it brings kids in every year. My eldest started with 140 in the cohort. When he finished year 12 there were 220. A number of parents who send them in later are from the land and can only afford three or four years of full boarding tuition. Not everyone can stump up $40000+ for full boarding fees each year, especially as many boys from the bush have brothers. One family sent 9 sons there for only years 11 and 12. The final one was given a full scholarship in recognition of the country support. He played with me in the mighty 5ths!

I don't doubt that for a minute.

But at Newington for example, boarding doesn't start until Year 9 so that boys not living in Sydney can't start until Year 9 at the earliest. There's also a programme where country kids get three years boarding for the price of two.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)

The pool opened in the 1950's as is still 50 yrds long. Leaks and has tiles missing.
The gym was state of the art in 1981. Awful sight lines to watch basketball.
The Joeys weights room is now located inside the old laundry after being moved from an old indoor basketball court.
Nice to see the College looking at updating these. Main issue is that boarding facilities take precedent in funding.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Gene "pools" of the GPS.

Riverview

baptism-pool.jpg

Newington

beach-side-pool.jpg

The Kings School

NINTCHDBPICT000418142843.jpg

Shore

fixedw_large_4x.jpg

Scots College

91df30fa21bcb35fc7532f6b795a096a.jpg

St Joseph's College

Reactions: WLF

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Joker ... as usual those pictures are 100% on the money

with the one exception being Newington ... where I would have used a Tongan location shot

as the picture you have used is more what I would expect at Cranners

where I gather they are building a new day spa ... I mean gymnasium

poor old Andrew Cleverley having to deal with those Cranbrook show ponies ... as a rugby loving Kiwi he would be struggling

Joker you haven't picked on $cots biggest joke ... "The Balcony" ... what other school thinks it normal to charge a $50 entry fee, and have your view from 4 floors up, where you can sip on Champers, snack on cavair with some of the Eastern Suburbs biggest tossers ... all the while ruminating as to where you will take little Wilbur once he has survived his 6 months at Glengarry

if you ever see me in there ... and you know me ... please give me an upper-cut ... I must of drunk the Eastern Suburbs Kool-aid

Status
Not open for further replies.