• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
How come Cranners does not have an action group against their upcoming day spa?

Maybe The Bellevue hill action group is in fact a front for the Joeys Mother’s Auxiliary

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
2gsetk.jpg

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
How come Cranners does not have an action group against their upcoming day spa?

Maybe The Bellevue hill action group is in fact a front for the Joeys Mother’s Auxiliary

I understand that the Cranbrook development won't alter the current views of anyone - much of it will be below ground and/or at or below the height of whatever is currently in place.

Lambo and the Concerned Scots Neighbours Groups have been going hammer and tongs for a decade - including to the Land and Envrinoment Court more than once.

bignoofa

Allen Oxlade (6)
I can say with 100% certainty that several boys started at TKS in year 11 on scholarships I personally know of 3 that started 2 playing 1st XV other in 2s

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
I can say with 100% certainty that several boys started at TKS in year 11 on scholarships I personally know of 3 that started 2 playing 1st XV other in 2s

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Heard this too. Back in the late 1990's Andrew Parry was anointed coach of the TKS 1st XV. A wonderful guy who had learnt his rugby coaching when he had worked at SJC. He had great skills, good pasture for the herd to graze but smaller cattle. Hence the idea was born. Lets use the Kings School Fathers Association as a form of fund raising to "assist" product to "benefit" from a Kings education. Suddenly the TKS won premierships in 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 and 2002. Andrew has gone onto leadership positions elsewhere.

In 2002, Kings was singled out for attention because over the past three seasons at least 17 members of its first XV teams were either recent transfers to the school or were taking two years to complete year 12. No other GPS school comes remotely close at the time. These King's first XV players who transferred to the school and who were supposedly full fee-paying students but later admitted receiving financial aid from a network of King's boosters. This is the common method of choice now for Scots. They went overboard with the basketball program though.

Well what about Joeys then. They always cheat in rugby!

In that period checked King's has had 17 transfers or repeating year 12 players in its firsts, while Joeys has had only three.

Peabody

Herbert Moran (7)
Heard this too. Back in the late 1990's Andrew Parry was anointed coach of the TKS 1st XV. A wonderful guy who had learnt his rugby coaching when he had worked at SJC. He had great skills, good pasture for the herd to graze but smaller cattle. Hence the idea was born. Lets use the Kings School Fathers Association as a form of fund raising to "assist" product to "benefit" from a Kings education. Suddenly the TKS won premierships in 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 and 2002. Andrew has gone onto leadership positions elsewhere.

In 2002, Kings was singled out for attention because over the past three seasons at least 17 members of its first XV teams were either recent transfers to the school or were taking two years to complete year 12. No other GPS school comes remotely close at the time. These King's first XV players who transferred to the school and who were supposedly full fee-paying students but later admitted receiving financial aid from a network of King's boosters. This is the common method of choice now for Scots. They went overboard with the basketball program though.

Well what about Joeys then. They always cheat in rugby!

In that period checked King's has had 17 transfers or repeating year 12 players in its firsts, while Joeys has had only three.

The game was up when the antics of the KSFA were reported in an extensive article in the Sydney Morning Herald.

In a strange coincidence King’s Rugby prowess was rather diminished in subsequent years.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I gather there has been some change whereby NRL clubs can no longer have kids sign contracts before they are 18

So whether this sees less kids having school fees paid for by NRL clubs, who knows?

I guess time will tell... but certainly my mail has been that this has been happening across a range of gps and cas schools

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
I gather there has been some change whereby NRL clubs can no longer have kids sign contracts before they are 18

So whether this sees less kids having school fees paid for by NRL clubs, who knows?

I guess time will tell. but certainly my mail has been that this has been happening across a range of gps and cas schools

If this is the case then the days of Newington and Scots using such players will come to an end. My mail on both schools confirms the practice going back a long way I recall when Scots suddenly had a talented full back appear in 1999 named George Topham. He was a South Sydney player who negotiated a final year of education. He was a full fee paying student but the money came from the club. A very talented player who's career was cut short by neck/spinal issues.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
If this is the case then the days of Newington and Scots using such players will come to an end. My mail on both schools confirms the practice going back a long way I recall when Scots suddenly had a talented full back appear in 1999 named George Topham. He was a South Sydney player who negotiated a final year of education. He was a full fee paying student but the money came from the club. A very talented player who's career was cut short by neck/spinal issues.

Hello Joker, I feel where their is a will there will be a way. Schools will simply change their approach to talent acquisition.Their is too much investment already committed, too much prestige to lose, too much ambition. The gene is out of the bottle and I cannot see it being dragging back.My personal feeling, is that GPS Rugby will evolve into a professional sport resembling American College football.

But Money Talks and Money Walks, .

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
My personal feeling, is that GPS Rugby will evolve into a professional sport resembling American College football.

But Money Talks and Money Walks, .

That would be indeed a very sad day. Having students in the school to just play football does not provide incentive for those who wish to strive hard. The Joeys fullback this year had played in B teams all his life at the school and then he ends up scoring a try in each Joeys GPS game becoming I believe the 9th player to do so.

R

RuggerFan1

I rue the day that GPS sport becomes like the American College system. Definitely won't be sending my kids too one if this happens.

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
Yes SDW, I know what thread it is but wasn't sure what to put it on, seemed to me this was the thread of the moment,
anyway, I am sure people will pick it up.

I also know Luca wasn't on a scholarship, never was, and no doubt about that.

I have also heard last week that the Waratahs fighting fund is luring him, and some others.

I think he will stay in union to 1 day destroy those across the ditch!

If my sources are correct, I assume plenty of us will be happy with that decision.

We need his type to win.

If I’m correct I noticed Luca played schoolboys rugby instead of schoolboys league but was not picked in Aus schoolboys rugby touring team ,that seems very strange as he was very strong. Looks like ur sources are wrong unfortunately as why wouldn’t they pick him.why even let him play against the kiwis if he was never going to get selected to tour, poor effort . Looks like Luca missed out on aus schoolboys league but I’m sure the roosters will be happy . Luca is a very talented player and wish him well next year but I’m sure it won’t be Union after this.

S

sidelineview

Good question: why let Moretti play against the Kiwis if he was going to pursue league.
He's in the Schoolboys league team to tour England last time I looked.
Maybe he was in two minds about which code to play but settled on league.
It was a big ask for rugby to match the money the Roosters could pay.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
If I’m correct I noticed Luca played schoolboys rugby instead of schoolboys league but was not picked in Aus schoolboys rugby touring team ,that seems very strange as he was very strong. Looks like ur sources are wrong unfortunately as why wouldn’t they pick him.why even let him play against the kiwis if he was never going to get selected to tour, poor effort . Looks like Luca missed out on aus schoolboys league but I’m sure the roosters will be happy . Luca is a very talented player and wish him well next year but I’m sure it won’t be Union after this.

Agree with all your comments, not sure yet what has happened, but it will surface.
Yes he would have made the Rugby tour.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Nice to see some of the Tongan boys receiving academic awards at the Valedictory assembly, including one who was one of only 10 statewide to receive recognition for the NSW government for his work. None of these boys have ever played in an A team in any sport. So different from the unfortunate stereotype often purveyed on this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.