1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Discussion in 'Schoolboy Rugby' started by observer, Aug 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Westlake Arch Winning (36)

Nah fuck it Sull.
    Let the kiddies throw the toys out of their respective cots. It’s been way worse than this.
    You guys know that and the senior lads do too.
    I haven’t been on here for quite a while due to the dumb shit that spews from these posters, but in a schadenfuede kind of way, am enjoying the vitriol
    Joker and The Honey Badger like this.
  2. Spieber Bob Loudon (25)

WOW! BTW Sir, your grammar could do with a bit of touching up. Cheers

PS A mate of was on your council for many years and he was quite unapologetic about the real purpose of your all-rounder scholarships.
  3. Black & White Bob Loudon (25)

No I changed my mind I will reply

"Grammar" is that the best you can do, a small minded comment by an individual who clearly is out of his intellectual depth, as proven by your past comments. I predicted that a habitual Cyber Troll, such as yourself, would seek a revenge post.Simple fact, your first post was a display of a hysterical individual, who lost it and clearly was humiliating for yourself.

The second post about poor people, not being suitable for independent schools, displays a very disgusting state of mind that is UnAustralian in the extreme. Tell me does this attitude extend to people of other races.

As for your comment about the Newington School Council being pro sport and pro scholarship, my reply is "so what". Good on them, and I would support the council fully. Keep it up New Council, if its upsetting certain people you are doing the right thing.

But ultimately you wrote those two tragically and sad posts and if they embarrass you, well the problem is yours and yours alone.
  4. Quick Hands David Wilson (68)

5. sidelineview Desmond Connor (43)

Anyway .. here we go again.
    Someone bringing up the Kurtley Beale thing to support the existence of scholarships (sensible ones), but what a lift it would have given that whole school, including Old Boys when it was discovered that this shy Koori kid was a champion rugby player.

Not to mention how it improved Beale's life and gave hope to a lot of other young Koori kids.

1st XV rugby is such a huge deal for private schools isn't it; and if the team is successful it sets up a euphoria within the whole school and relevant community. Huge crowds flock to the home games and create an atmosphere that is unique to schoolboy rugby. For the 1st XV players it's an unforgettable experience; one which can have life long positive benefits.

How many years did Beale play 1sts? 3 or 4?
    Many people will still talk about watching him play for the school and recount stories.

As Joker pointed out, Beale's not the only kid to have benefitted from the Joey's indigenous scholarship scheme and not the only kid to have played 1st XV and gone onto pursue a rugby career post school.

It does happen from other schools as well.
    Lucifer, Joker and formerflanker like this.
  6. Black & White Bob Loudon (25)

Thank you, Sidelineview, for bring your compassion, a sense of social justice and basic common sense to this site. There should be more comments such as this.
  7. The Honey Badger Peter Fenwicke (45)

Sully, you know we are all locked in here.

We can check out but we can never leave.
    Joker likes this.
  8. Joker Arch Winning (36)

9. southsider Arch Winning (36)

it is an interesting concept though, why are academic or music scholarships allowed but not sport? Music especially has many similar benefits to the college and the student that sport does
  10. lincoln Syd Malcolm (24)

Okay, can you plums take this offline. Just shutup unless you have something new to add to the thread. Trolling is really the lowest form of internet dialogue. Grow up.
  11. Joker Arch Winning (36)

In my humble opinion, the fact is the music, drama and academic scholarships has only the student compete against one's self, where a student on a sport scholarship is there purely to compete for the school against another school in an organized competition.This is why you never see sports scholarships for individual activities just TEAM sports.

There are no GPS premierships for a school to point to for best violin, 1st place in Latin or 3 Unit Drama. The public relations benefits to the school for a student on a music scholarship are far less than four imported players who help win a GPS rugby premiership.
  12. southsider Arch Winning (36)

I’m not 1000% sure because I was never involved in music but I’m pretty sure the bands compete against each other in musical comps, and the students Defs at times compete against each other as individuals at competitions representing their schools. Granted the prestige isn’t the same but I guess at a base level it’s still the same concept

I’m not sure the PR implications should be considered as a negative against sport though, it’s not sports fault that it is more popular than music
    Black & White likes this.
  13. Black & White Bob Loudon (25)

14. Spieber Bob Loudon (25)

LOL
  15. Joker Arch Winning (36)

...sorry just to add, CAS schools do not have a ban on the practice of sporting scholarships. They have been doing this years. In recent times they have become more aggressive in their approach, in particular Trinity with rugby. In the 1970's Waverley was known for poaching swimmers from other schools, including Joeys of all places.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.