• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
Inside S,

Telling SW to back off is tad harsh.

I thought his third paragraph was pretty much on the money. There have been a number of very public odd 'things' happen around Riverview, its ex staff, students and old boys in recent years. Random or something more endemic / sinister? I don't know. Perhaps they have just been through a tricky period where the incidents that have occurred have made the headlines. I guess all schools go through these periods but Riverview have certainly taken the spotlight for headlines in recent years!

....also for the record Riverview publish an abridged 'code of conduct' to certain other GPS schools on their weekend sporting fixture leaflets. Strange they leave out all the juicy bits that are on the full 'piece' on the AAGPS website. Perhaps all the schools should publish the same one?!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Inside S,

Telling SW to back off is tad harsh.

I thought his third paragraph was pretty much on the money. There have been a number of very public odd 'things' happen around Riverview, its ex staff, students and old boys in recent years. Random or something more endemic / sinister? I don't know. Perhaps they have just been through a tricky period where the incidents that have occurred have made the headlines. I guess all schools go through these periods but Riverview have certainly taken the spotlight for headlines in recent years!

..also for the record Riverview publish an abridged 'code of conduct' to certain other GPS schools on their weekend sporting fixture leaflets. Strange they leave out all the juicy bits that are on the full 'piece' on the AAGPS website. Perhaps all the schools should publish the same one?!
It was sarcastic: no one who knows me on here and saw the words rugby, damaging and credibility in one sentence would take it seriously, trust me !

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
And now for the 2014 rugby season!
Even if "a more detailed review" at TSC found "some irregularities", I wonder if the 2014 1st XV contains students who benefited from such past irregularities?
I must have missed the second, more detailed review. The first one sure commenced in a blaze of publicity though.

No doubt there will be some residual scholarship/bursary holders in the system. Many questioned Scots 16As rugby last season and I recall reading that they were heckled by boys from their own school after losing against Joeys. They were a very good side, so one would expect at least some of them to be in 1st XV this year and the rest in 2nds.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Providence, the current Head at Riverview only started in Term 3 of last year so I'm not sure that he can be held responsible for things which did or didn't happen over the past few years. (I have no connection to Riverview, this is just an observation)

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
QH, sorry, I was referring to the institution not the new head. In fact all the reports I have heard about the new head at Riverview have been very positive so far.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
You know for all the mud slinging directed at scots . All I can say is tend to agree with john singletons view on roger corbett. Never seen an indigenous scholarship come out of shore?

And this bloke pulver . Gee talk about disconnected from reality . Would love to see him seated in the souths 'burrow' .. But somehow I think he is bit more comfortable in various exclusive sydney clubs

And word I hear on this riverview headmaster is interesting too . Think we have not heard last of dramas with the aagps

Oh well shame . as tell you what I see some real rugby talent in the less fortunate parts of society . Think kurtley beale, only better and maybe it won't happen now. Good on you Corbett/pulver .. Will be rugby leagues gain
So due to not being given a scholarship it is A Catholic School/Head of the ARU/Exclusive clubs fault????
Maybe, just maybe that if the person you feel is good enough to do this he will rise to the top of his school first, ASK about when trials are on as he would have to for RL at his school he is attending now. And then maybe, just maybe again he will show the application to do this as EVERY OTHER KID has to that doesn't attend a GPS School. If you look at last years Championships there were to quote "a shitload" of kids from outside that particular domain.
If the young boy you feel will spit the dummy due to not getting a scholarship is indigenous, has he enquired about a scholarship via Lloydies?
Nothing comes to those who just sit there and wait for it Sonny. Nobody turned around to Albert Hemopo from Souths or Jake McIntyre from Alstonville and said "Here come to my school!!!!" they did it through hard work. Support from their particular school/club or maybe even just a teacher that liked Rugby Union.
ANY scholarship comes as a privilege. It is not a right that, if you think that the veiled threat"If you don't give it to me I will go and play RL" will secure the education for the child. .... Fiorgive me for being so obtuse, but you are so very sadly mistaken. Take your charge to RL and see the way that petulance is treated there too.

footytime

Stan Wickham (3)
View attachment 4587If only I could remember the names of the people who said TSC had done nothing wrong - "some compliance irregularities", "more defined approaches in developing blah blah".
Sounds a bit like Him Tawkes confession.
Sir Humphrey Appleby: TSC's most famous old boy?

Even though this letter came out a while ago I feel the need to make a quick comment. Even though not being a current student in Highschool I have actually attended several events in which Dr. Hine has been a speaker. From watching and listening to him on several occasions I have come to have a great deal of respect for him, on the way he approaches issues and is strong on his morals. With his key focus on the value of the individual person, with equal opportunities, social justice, honesty, fairness are several themes he returns too. As it is obvious with his clear stance of action in this matter, when he could have even quite easily not gotten involved only being his 1st or 2nd year in the AAGPS system, let alone at riverview. Then to send out a mass letter to the riverview community just explifys his transparecny,

I applaud this man, and we need more Dr. Hines in this country.

S

spirit of cupertino

As I have said in the past, I was a part of these practices. A number of people here called me on these and claimed I was lying. I look forward to a a progressive and clean future at Scotts.

There were a lot of staff changes when the new head arrived. Certainly some great staff left. Hard to understand there aren't better ways to change management. No doubt the same will now happen at View.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Jacob Patmore ?

Dunno.
On a different note - old news in some respects although I detect a subtle barb
Screen Shot 2014-05-07 at 9.11.19 am.png

Paddogreen

Herbert Moran (7)
Subtle barbs. I see 3 and counting. I'm sure others will tell me that the postscript is grammatically correct, but could it be worded better?

Rob hart

Billy Sheehan (19)
As I have said in the past, I was a part of these practices. A number of people here called me on these and claimed I was lying. I look forward to a a progressive and clean future at Scotts.
You claim you were part of these ''practices'' but you can't even spell the school's name? Its Scots (The Scots College) not Scotts ......... so really how familiar are you?

S

spirit of cupertino

Controversial. Clearly he has asked the boys what they think and they think that they should play. Perhaps they even feel that they should never have pulled out. This is a real wet mullet slap across the face of the heads of SHORE and View.

Status
Not open for further replies.