• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
You claim you were part of these ''practices'' but you can't even spell the school's name? Its Scots (The Scots College) not Scotts ... so really how familiar are you?
I wish I could get as good a bite when I am jagging for mullet... This is a fishing term by the way. The minions might know what I am talking about

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Controversial. Clearly he has asked the boys what they think and they think that they should play. Perhaps they even feel that they should never have pulled out. This is a real wet mullet slap across the face of the heads of SHORE and View.

How is it controversial? It's virtually the same wording that the Headmasters of Joeys and Riverview used.

How is it a slap across the face for Shore, when Shore were one of 2 schools who broke ranks and played?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
How is it controversial? It's virtually the same wording that the Headmasters of Joeys and Riverview used.

How is it a slap across the face for Shore, when Shore were one of 2 schools who broke ranks and played?
As ever Cupertino is cryptic so I fear taking him literally but "the boys" couldn't care less whether they play them, for any number of reasons, not least being the admission of betrayal of the ideal of amateur, organic teams on which GPS sport was supposed to be built.
They will be playing their 3rd level teams: not even TSC import to that level or seek world domination by that tier.
The kids at every school know the rorting in which their scandalous adult mentors continue to engage: you cannot stop kids telling the truth, in my experience.

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
Controversial. Clearly he has asked the boys what they think and they think that they should play. Perhaps they even feel that they should never have pulled out. This is a real wet mullet slap across the face of the heads of SHORE and View.

TSC are performing Monty Python's Spamalot in a week or so. I hope the heads aren't going to that. The opening number is the infamous fish schlapping song.

S

spirit of cupertino

Well I don't know why letters from one head to another would be read out in assembly unless it was to add some winks and eye rolls. But perhaps I am mistaken. It reminds me of my time at school many years ago when Science class was spent weeding the headmaster's garden and Commerce was spent assisting the bursar.

No problems re 3rds. TSC 3rd very slick team. 3rds halfback stole the show at TSC sevens nearly causing an upset win for PNG.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Well I don't know why letters from one head to another would be read out in assembly unless it was to add some winks and eye rolls. But perhaps I am mistaken. It reminds me of my time at school many years ago when Science class was spent weeding the headmaster's garden and Commerce was spent assisting the bursar.

No problems re 3rds. TSC 3rd very slick team. 3rds halfback stole the show at TSC sevens nearly causing an upset win for PNG.

My understanding is that the letters were sent from the various Headmasters to parents, not to each other. (The salutation "Dear parents" is a bit of a giveaway)

In the past 6 months or so letters from the Headmasters of Scots, Joeys, Riverview and Grammar have all been posted on this thread.

Any letter or e-mail sent to upwards of 1,000 people is essentially a public document.

Paddogreen

Herbert Moran (7)
VD I have also been involved in NSWPSSA and approached by Joeys and New. I know what you're thinking, shock horror.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

S

spirit of cupertino

My understanding is that the letters were sent from the various Headmasters to parents, not to each other. (The salutation "Dear parents" is a bit of a giveaway)

In the past 6 months or so letters from the Headmasters of Scots, Joeys, Riverview and Grammar have all been posted on this thread.

Any letter or e-mail sent to upwards of 1,000 people is essentially a public document.

if you read the letter in question, you will see you are wrong.

S

spirit of cupertino

In all my years of working as a teacher I have never seen a performance based scholarship. Even the "irregularities" at $cots were not placed under such a caveat. There was a boy who came in to $cots 1999 as a star rugby recruit in year 12 but was injured and sat out that GPS season. He was not asked to leave as the "contract" was binding to one year of tuition with no stipulations. It seems that Newington have tried an American style approach. I am hoping to gather more information tomorrow at the AAGPS athletics carnival.

shocking indeed. perhaps the 10 rounds thing is to blame, espes. if that year is very weak. Sometimes there is less shocking news: did you know that none of the scots koori scholarship boys in this year's intake are playing a's rugby? So nothing targeted there which is way cool.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
My reading of the AAGPS Code of Conduct suggests that there is no issue with a school inducing enrollment on the grounds of race or socio-economic disadvantage.

S

spirit of cupertino

My reading of the AAGPS Code of Conduct suggests that there is no issue with a school inducing enrollment on the grounds of race or socio-economic disadvantage.

But what if koori scholarships are based on sporting ability? Clearly not the case with scots, not so clear at other schools perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.