• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
This little exchange has confirmed suspicions that TSC operatives lurk on this site. When I saw Vindictam's post, I had a look at the snow sports page on the TSC website - it still talked of their winning 12 out of 15 events at the 2014 championships and finishing on 169 points - about 50 points ahead of Redlands and Riveriew who were 2nd and 3rd. An hour and a half later and now a generic page is there giving an overview of the TSC snowsports programme.
Wow!
I wonder how the Parrot would deal with this with Lambo????
Can this get to Right wing AM Radio?

I really wonder what cost world domination is doing to the young men's minds that attend here?
Alacritry? Envy? Ambiguity? Hatred?
Shit, I am glad my sons didn't go there.

BeastieBoy

Herbert Moran (7)
i see in the local paper that the Cranbrook U12's won the 7's championship for the year. That school is doing great things and have the boys all out training before and after school and in the off season. I think under their relatively new headmaster their rugby program will go ahead leaps and bounds as will their academic results. they are predicting in the 40's for their HSC and improving. No, I don't have a kid there.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
i see in the local paper that the Cranbrook U12's won the 7's championship for the year. That school is doing great things and have the boys all out training before and after school and in the off season. I think under their relatively new headmaster their rugby program will go ahead leaps and bounds as will their academic results. they are predicting in the 40's for their HSC and improving. No, I don't have a kid there.

Is that the IPSHA 7s for primary schools or is that a separate competition that the school has gone in?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Back in the day the headmaster and teachers played in the 1st XV to make up the numbers and yes definantlty playing in the grade comp

Hmmm.
Thankfully not the year I ventured up there: a bloke called Hipwell was the coach. They went through us pretty covincingly as i recall even without him.

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
Hmmm.
Thankfully not the year I ventured up there: a bloke called Hipwell was the coach. They went through us pretty covincingly as i recall even without him.
Brings back some memories of playing in a GF IN 79 against City with this old bastard of a halfback we could never catch and a wiry bearded bushranger we could never tackle.
Hipwell & Cornelson.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Brings back some memories of playing in a GF IN 79 against City with this old bastard of a halfback we could never catch and a wiry bearded bushranger we could never tackle.
Hipwell & Cornelson.
So the year after cornelsen did the unthinkable!
I went up there in 78 and hippy was the coach. I think he was retired from international rugby when we played TAS but was back in the team by the time of the famous Auckland test of 78? 2 wallabies in one team in the country. Those were the days: we flew up and back not like now with the 8 hour bus trips!
Should get Jim Belshaw over to reminisce.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
So the year after cornelsen did the unthinkable!
I went up there in 78 and hippy was the coach. I think he was retired from international rugby when we played TAS but was back in the team by the time of the famous Auckland test of 78? 2 wallabies in one team in the country. Those were the days: we flew up and back not like now with the 8 hour bus trips!
Should get Jim Belshaw over to reminisce.

You blokes are a very bad influence, I fear!

In my third year at Uni I went back to TAS as a duty master. In a fit of egalitarianism, they divied up the non Firsts-Seconds senior boys into three thirds teams all playing in the local comp. George Crossle was senior coach, I had one of the teams. I learned more about playing rugby in that year as coach than in all my previous playing years.

Two memories stand out. We were playing the Teachers College. TC was short players. I decided that I wanted a game and got George approval to play for TC; I was well within the age limits. The boys kicked the ball straight to me. Surprised, I caught it and ran straight though to score.

With the teams broken up this way, there were some big cricket scores against us. However, we did get one rare victory. The Uni under 21 side included some ex NSW/QLD GPS players. However, there had been a ball the night before and UNI started short. We scored. Suddenly sensing victory, the boys played well above themselves, giving us an unexpected win.

My last year at TAS was a very strong Rugby year. The firsts included Rick How who played against Ireland in 67. I was never good enough for the firsts, but at 13 stone and able to run a 100 yards in 11 seconds in full kit, I wasn't a bad break-away. I loved tackling, especially against the Sydney schools. All TAS did. We might lose, but they would remember the visit! I think that's true today.

This is miles off topic, but nostalgia crept in.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The Scots v Newington result today is so rich in irony it hurts. 111-0 over last year's premiers, 14 of whom (NC 2013) were apparently bursary boys.
Who does it hurt?
It hurts everyone.
And what will be the reaction?
It could go a number of ways - all in free for all for sporting scholarships, further questioning of the role of recruiting in Bellevue Hill or the disintegration of the GPS as its been known to date.
The early favourite is option 3.
The good doctor should let someone in on the secret as to who is benefitting from rugby the way chooses to have it played.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A glimmer of hope perhaps. I have heard of a lad at Scots (fairly decent rugby player by all accounts) who has decided to focus on study for his HSC this year and has withdrawn from 1st XV rugby. His name features from time to time in the Beasties Colts team, and he turns out for TSC 3rds or 4ths or so.

Apparently he, and his family, decided that school was for study, and have forgone a 1st XV jumper because they felt that the training requirements would interfere with his HSC preparation.

Seemingly the TSC 1st XV training requirements are rather time intensive.

Something, something, something more orthopaedic surgeons than professional rugby players in Australia something something 4 1/2 years average professional athletic career something something.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The Scots v Newington result today is so rich in irony it hurts. 111-0 over last year's premiers, 14 of whom (NC 2013) were apparently bursary boys.
Who does it hurt?
It hurts everyone.
And what will be the reaction?
It could go a number of ways - all in free for all for sporting scholarships, further questioning of the role of recruiting in Bellevue Hill or the disintegration of the GPS as its been known to date.
The early favourite is option 3.
The good doctor should let someone in on the secret as to who is benefitting from rugby the way chooses to have it played.

Interestingly Dr Lambert's apparent solution to declining academic standards at TSC is to target additional academic scholarships at Year 11 entry level next year.

If no other school follows the Scots path - Scots may get sick of winning by 100 points every week and the other schools might not like the idea of playing against them. Basketball may well have been a warning salvo.

Status
Not open for further replies.