• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Joeys v scots ... Funny how rivalries run deep.

And everyone gets their back up .. Accusations of scholarships, inducements from both sides

I personally think joeys needs scots ... And vice versa

Ok yes scots trumpets on about their rugby programme being great, and yes winning only 2 games (is not a great result, but think about it ...

On one hand you have a huge boarding school, where rugby is a year round obsession and of course they are going to dominate outside a teams

And on the other side, scots is closer in nature to cranbrook ... With interest fluctuating between the obligatory year end trip to a far flung ski resort and the next trendy eatery

If you look across all the A games, from this weekend , all pretty close and isn't that exactly what is needed?!

So who gives a rats on who has the best programme it's all about the contest ... And i don't get this obsession with vilifying scots ... And only disappointed I wasn't out at hunters hill to witness what was no doubt a great showcase of quality rugby

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I personally think joeys needs scots . And vice versa

I'm not sure that any 2 schools out of the 9 specifically need each other in the way that you mean.

All the schools in the AAGPS need each other otherwise there would be no games played at all, but it only works if they're all following the same set of agreed to rules of conduct.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Correct. Stupid idea for TSC.

No, not Joey's problem, but you can't then go and say that these games were somehow a reflection of the quality of the TSC rugby program.

Might give it a go. Not sure they are going to discipline the one I'm talking about though.Looks like a bit of a "boys club" among staff at Joeys.

Not good enough for either school. This is school sport with impressionable kids.
IMHO If you take it up with with yours or the opposing school as far as issues with teachers go. It will be addressed. These are professional people James.

And could you please forward your final line to Robbie Hart, GTPIH , the fat marn paul whose is banned et al????

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Joeys v scots . Funny how rivalries run deep.

And everyone gets their back up .. Accusations of scholarships, inducements from both sides

I personally think joeys needs scots . And vice versa

Ok yes scots trumpets on about their rugby programme being great, and yes winning only 2 games (is not a great result, but think about it .

On one hand you have a huge boarding school, where rugby is a year round obsession and of course they are going to dominate outside a teams

And on the other side, scots is closer in nature to cranbrook . With interest fluctuating between the obligatory year end trip to a far flung ski resort and the next trendy eatery

If you look across all the A games, from this weekend , all pretty close and isn't that exactly what is needed?!

So who gives a rats on who has the best programme it's all about the contest . And i don't get this obsession with vilifying scots . And only disappointed I wasn't out at hunters hill to witness what was no doubt a great showcase of quality rugby
Nothing like the bourgeois bellevue hill crowd. And when you say that you are more like cranbrook, can you please elaborate??? ;) ;) ;) What is that famous line?

And as far as thinking that SJC just only turn out knuckle dragging Rugby players.... Again Sonny Dill (somehow that name is more than apt), again look to both old boy sites and you will see leaders of science and community.

This is where your world domination comes unstuck. The adage of you can't see the forest is more than true here, except you can't succeed in world domination when you are doing your own visual rectal exam sonny dill.
Just book another quick run to Val d'isere for Christmas.

Wilkinson's Right Boot

Stan Wickham (3)
And as far as thinking that SJC just only turn out knuckle dragging Rugby players.. Again Sonny Dill (somehow that name is more than apt), again look to both old boy sites and you will see leaders of science and community.

Where did that come from? He said the Joeys has a large contingent of boarders who are obsessed with rugby. Is that not true? He didn't say anything about them being knuckle draggers, that was completely inferred by you

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Where did that come from? He said the Joeys has a large contingent of boarders who are obsessed with rugby. Is that not true? He didn't say anything about them being knuckle draggers, that was completely inferred by you
Great generalising again. I really feel that the cultural elitism stated about worrying what new cafe or which ski resort smacks loud and long WRB. To say the the whole school is obsessed with one sport reeks. It is saying that the SJC lads would rather kick a footy round than attend other areas of sport. If this is the case then aren't scots pursuing the same path of rugby excellence/dominance?
You show me where his thoughts differ from this, and I will show you how to pick up turd up by the clean end.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This is such an arid debate and Im no apologist for SJC........but:
They finished 2nd in 1st XI cricket and won the 2nd XI 2013/14; they won the cricket 1st XI in 2011/12 and finished 3rd in 2nds.
IN Rowing 2014 they won: 3rd VIII, 4th IV, year 10 4th VIII. They were 2nd in Yr 10 3rd VIII, 2nd VIII, 1st VIII. 2013 was arguably stronger across the board.
In my experience SJC are well coached and understand very well their roles in every sport I have seen them compete in.

Paddogreen

Herbert Moran (7)
So getting the old boys to fund a super boat and repeating your best rowers for the 2010 HOTR is complying with: However, care should be taken to exclude from our schools practices which place the pursuit of victory above those aspects of sport concerned with enjoyment, balanced development and good sportsmanship.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So getting the old boys to fund a super boat and repeating your best rowers for the 2010 HOTR is complying with
We've been down this path and you and others were shown to be completely wrong.
The boat was almost certainly the cheapest boat on the river - less than $10k despite its pedigree was what I was told at the time. As you know I am an old boy who happened to be around the shed in 1978, when they last won, with kids at the school in 2010: a fairly good target for fund raising one might have thought - no one asked me for any money.
I had only heard the allegation of 1 rower repeating (I see you've slipped to the plural): somewhere way back in the thread it was shown to have been the result of a misunderstanding as to when and how he appeared in a swimming context.
Here's his rowing profile: he would have been 17 1/2 in April 2010.
https://www.rowingaustralia.com.au/hp_athletes_profiles_ditmarsch-j.shtm
Just about spot on the right age for his year.
Next.

Paddogreen

Herbert Moran (7)
just except it, the boys all knew. Even your feeble denial '$10k cheaper, is so ridiculous. You (or your sources) know the price of all the other boats in the race.
Oh the miracle of '78, I assume the crew that were convicted for drugs in later life were clean at race time...:)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
just except accept it, the boys all knew. Even your feeble denial '$10k cheaper (I said less than $10k, actually: an empacher bought form rowing Australia I heard) , is so ridiculous. You (or your sources) know the price of all the other boats in the race.
Oh the miracle of '78, I assume the crew that were convicted for drugs (all recreational) in later life were clean at race time.:)

o_O

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
So getting the old boys to fund a super boat and repeating your best rowers for the 2010 HOTR is complying with: However, care should be taken to exclude from our schools practices which place the pursuit of victory above those aspects of sport concerned with enjoyment, balanced development and good sportsmanship.

Ok - I was the one that stuffed this up, accusing JD of entering in Year 9 then repeating year 10 (because he was in Yr10 VIII two years). I was, however, able to discover my error from a closer inspection of the AAGPS swimming results and the NSW Rowing site.
And the year was 2011.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
We missed the Grammar HOTR victory last time around the Mulberry bush.
Allegedly buying an expensive boat - from a supporter of a school which has an altitude chamber. This thread just reached a new level in the absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.