• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It used to be the situation at SBHS that the headmaster could fill spots that emerged after year 7 from boys that left to go to other schools.

I thought that changed though.

Wilkinson's Right Boot

Stan Wickham (3)
Great generalising again. I really feel that the cultural elitism stated about worrying what new cafe or which ski resort smacks loud and long WRB. To say the the whole school is obsessed with one sport reeks. It is saying that the SJC lads would rather kick a footy round than attend other areas of sport. If this is the case then aren't scots pursuing the same path of rugby excellence/dominance?
You show me where his thoughts differ from this, and I will show you how to pick up turd up by the clean end.

Re-reading his quote I see he wrote year-round obsession, so it does suggest he thinks they don't do anything else.

However when I said it was an obsession I meant in the context that it seems the majority of boys head into Rugby and do more training than the other schools. I think they have something like 12 opens teams, whereas Scots has 7-8.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Re-reading his quote I see he wrote year-round obsession, so it does suggest he thinks they don't do anything else.

However when I said it was an obsession I meant in the context that it seems the majority of boys head into Rugby and do more training than the other schools. I think they have something like 12 opens teams, whereas Scots has 7-8.
Understand your context. I truly believe that not one young man is forced into playing Rugby Union at SJC by authorities.
However, peers and mateship play a tremendous part in this. There are any amount of young men that will play touch footy with their mates during the week and then play soccer on the weekend. These guys may have come from a particular background before going to SJC (ie non rugby, if there is any such thing) and some embrace the XV man game. Some will hate it. Good mates from other schools say the same. a NC mate hated his time at school due to Rugby and a tyrannical teacher, and another mate played 3 years 1st XI and XV at TKS and loved every minute. Each young man chooses his own, but his mates will do a lot of persuading of him too.
As far as scots having 7/8 open teams, is that not up to the boys voting with their feet? How does dr lambert change this now with the clarity of his vision to the scots board?
This is not meant as a snipe for once at scots, but a genuine concern on how you get the fine young men you already have, back on board with the great game of Rugby Union?

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
As far as scots having 7/8 open teams, is that not up to the boys voting with their feet? How does dr lambert change this now with the clarity of his vision to the scots board?
This is not meant as a snipe for once at scots, but a genuine concern on how you get the fine young men you already have, back on board with the great game of Rugby Union?

To be fair to the good doctor I recollect Scots only had 6 open teams prior to his arrival. The revamp of their rowing programme occurred under his watch and they are now one of the top 3/4 schools (without a hint of bursaries etc). And this is a sport requiring a big time commitment by the boys, who choose to be there!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I had a high student openly admit "irregularities" as I think they are now referred.

I'm not sayng that you are wrong, I'd just like an explanation as to how a school which doesn't charge fees and is bound to accept students in order according to the selective schools entrance test, has much if any scope to offer bursaries, scholarships or inducements.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
To be fair to the good doctor I recollect Scots only had 6 open teams prior to his arrival. The revamp of their rowing programme occurred under his watch and they are now one of the top 3/4 schools (without a hint of bursaries etc). And this is a sport requiring a big time commitment by the boys, who choose to be there!

I'm fairly certain that you are correct here. There are more rugby and less soccer teams now than since the arrival of Dr Lambert.

Wilkinson's Right Boot

Stan Wickham (3)
I'm not sayng that you are wrong, I'd just like an explanation as to how a school which doesn't charge fees and is bound to accept students in order according to the selective schools entrance test, has much if any scope to offer bursaries, scholarships or inducements.

I'm not entirely sure, didn't pursue it further. I would suspect lowering the required mark for entry exams? Just being at such an academic school would be a good incentive, if the entry marks were lower.

In reply to your 2nd comment, I think it's 8 each for socccer and rugby.. Might be wrong

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)

My understanding is the Principal has the right to select students entering after year 7. I thought they may have had some sort of arrangement with the Kings academy (or suchlike) for basketballers.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
My understanding is the Principal has the right to select students entering after year 7. I thought they may have had some sort of arrangement with the Kings academy (or suchlike) for basketballers.

It would appear that there is some latitude in Years 8-12, but limited vacancies. It would also appear that a proposal to allow some latitude in Year 7 was refused by Minister Piccoli.

http://www.sydneyboyshigh.com/enrolment/years8-12

http://www.smh.com.au/national/year-7-rethink-for-sydney-boys-20130523-2k42j.html

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
Probably you are right. I think pre-Lambert there were more soccer teams than rugby and the previous Head also let the 1st and 2nd soccer play their games on the main field before the 4ths or 16As.

I heard that the main oval was recently offered to soccer, when rugby were playing away games, but this was turned down as it was thought by various soccer coaches and parents that the playing surface would be too cut up for soccer.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I heard that the main oval was recently offered to soccer, when rugby were playing away games, but this was turned down as it was thought by various soccer coaches and parents that the playing surface would be too cut up for soccer.

How things change......many years ago the rugby boffins would not let soccer on TSC main oval because soccer would cut up the playing surface!

Wilkinson's Right Boot

Stan Wickham (3)
It doesn't seem logical to have multiple upper level games on the same field in the same day though. All things taken into account, you have muddled field markings, different goal posts, and I don't think soccer would like the state the field was left in by the other, and apparently neither would rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.