• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
How did they slip through the various nets? TKS seem to have a pipeline to the Illawarra

I only suggested that the other states may take the opportunity to swoop. The proof will be unlikely to be seen this year or next but a very real possibility over time IMHO.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
BTW Azzuri if you want to see how happy the bananabenders are about rugby scholarships just have a look at the 2014 QLD GPS thread.
They have the same arguments its just the points are the opposite.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Y
BTW Azzuri if you want to see how happy the bananabenders are about rugby scholarships just have a look at the 2014 QLD GPS thread.
They have the same arguments its just the points are the opposite.

.... Yes have read the QLD thread ...but im still not seeing them move towards anything like the commitment that NSW has entered into......

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Y

.. Yes have read the QLD thread .but im still not seeing them move towards anything like the commitment that NSW has entered into..

No, I think once the genie is out of the bottle its out.
It all comes back to the rules and the situation in NSW is that CAS don't seem to have a rule against scholarships but the GPS do.
Schools in the GPS either abide by the rule, leave it or get it changed.
There appears to be no appetite to change it because they endorsed it and strengthened it at the end of 2013. So they either leave or or abide by it and they have all chosen the latter.
I saw a friend for the first time in a couple of years who has a boy @ TSC who has given up rugby for volleyball he said "i think I am the only parent at the school paying fees".
Obviously not literally true but he is by no means the first person to have uttered a similar sentiment. That perception cannot be good, can it?

Delphy

Ward Prentice (10)
IS I'm aware of one from Illawarra and one from Northern Nsw who have been lured to QLD over the last two years with more to follow.and I can't imagine they they only ones..

WA has also lost a few to Bris in recent years.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Was using the referrence to a parent as evidence for an argument but I may have misunderstood your post

The point was the perception of a parent. What that parent said about their perception is evidence of their perception.
I specifically addressed your concern before you raised it:
Obviously not literally true but he is by no means the first person to have uttered a similar sentiment. That perception cannot be good, can it?

jack07

Chris McKivat (8)
WA has also lost a few to Bris in recent years.
All GPS Schools in Brisbane offer Scholarships to boys from WA and NSW and country Qld.
These boys participate in the rugby programs but are also expected to be involved in the entire school communities.
These offer boys an education that they would not normally have all the schools in Qld do it with a cpl only starting to do it lately.
This is why Nudgee have won so many as they have been doing it for 30 years!
But the boys who have gone thru Nudgee would have never gotten these opportunities without them or School boy rugby ..............

Delphy

Ward Prentice (10)
@jack07, don't get me wrong, I have no particular issue with schools offering scholarships to boys from WA, country NSW, the Pacific Islands or elsewhere, provided:

1. They provide balanced educational and social opportunities as well as the sporting focus;
  2. The scholarships are transparent and comply with the rules set down by the association in which the school participates; and
  3. They use recruitment as an adjunct to, not in place of, development of their own "in house" talent.
I am in no position to question any of those issues insofar as they relate to Brisbane schools.

I commented on @Azzuri's post because I find it fascinating just how wide schools are casting the recruiting net these days.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
jack07 & Delphy 2 points, which I don't think are contradictory of your general sentiments:
  • the kids must get the full benefit - if they don't toe the line academically and in other activities then they should not be permitted to compete at the highest level in their "chosen" sport: this ensures that it is a two way street and they are made to take everything they can from the school. I don't think that has been part of the deal down here;
  • no one ever begrudges the kids that get those opportunities, t but it is about making sure they don't miss the full breadth and depth of them because they are viewed as one trick ponies.

The Incredible Plan

Herbert Moran (7)
Any substance behind the rumour in yesterday's AFR rear window column about a fall out between unnamed old boys who want sporting scholarships to be offered to bolster rugby at sgs and dr valance / david Kirk who don't? Sorry can't access digital version of the article to include here.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Any substance behind the rumour in yesterday's AFR rear window column about a fall out between unnamed old boys who want sporting scholarships to be offered to bolster rugby at sgs and dr valance / david Kirk who don't? Sorry can't access digital version of the article to include here.
Sounds like it was well and truly in the rear window.

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
No, I think once the genie is out of the bottle its out.
It all comes back to the rules and the situation in NSW is that CAS don't seem to have a rule against scholarships but the GPS do.
Schools in the GPS either abide by the rule, leave it or get it changed.
There appears to be no appetite to change it because they endorsed it and strengthened it at the end of 2013. So they either leave or or abide by it and they have all chosen the latter.
I saw a friend for the first time in a couple of years who has a boy @ TSC who has given up rugby for volleyball he said "i think I am the only parent at the school paying fees".

And in 2014, Cranbrook, in the CAS, won their premiership without scholarship players, while TSC, their neighbours up the hill, had to import a reasonable number of scholarship players to do the same.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
And in 2014, Cranbrook, in the CAS, won their premiership without scholarship players, while TSC, their neighbours up the hill, had to import a reasonable number of scholarship players to do the same.

The 2014 cranbrook side DOES very definetly include lads on scholarships.

Status
Not open for further replies.