• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Serious answer is I'm not going to specify what type of scholarship .. I was responding to forwardsforever's comment that Cranbrooks first XV side played without lads on scholarship which is not true.

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Serious answer is I'm not going to specify what type of scholarship .. I was responding to forwardsforever's comment that Cranbrooks first XV side played without lads on scholarship which is not true.

But are they "sports scholarships"? My understanding was that they were academic or all rounders.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
^ ^ ^ ^
Oh Stop it ILTW !!!! Slap me on the backside and call me Shirley!!! Really???
Next thing is you are going to say is Australia will take 3 tight heads against the Argies!

Oh Cmon!!!!!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I've missed a few days. Are we back on the circuit?

So Dr Lambert's admission that there were anomalies and irregularities and his statement that Scots staff would no longer approach students from other schools cuts no ice with the true believers?

I think next we compare music scholarships with the recruiting of talented sportsmen on bursaries, then someone says that everyone at High is on a scholarship and then someone tries to find any obscure example of a boy from Grammar, High or Shore that is good at sport and music/academic and attempts to equate these with what has gone on at Scots and New over the past few years.

That may be the Readers' Digest version of what it to follow. ;)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The awarding of a Scholarship will be dependent upon academic results from the ACER Scholarship Selection Test, your supporting material and an interview. All Scholarships will be awarded at the discretion of the Headmaster. Scholarships are awarded for entry into Year 7 and are only awarded to Australian citizens.
http://www.cranbrook.nsw.edu.au/enrolment/scholarships.aspx

Bursaries are means-tested. They are available to boys entering Years 7 to 11 and provide remission of Tuition and/or Boarding Fees. They differ from Academic Scholarships and are awarded upon consideration of broader criteria.
These bursaries are based on a combination of financial need, leadership qualities, academic performance, interview and co-curricular abilities. In particular, country boys who are able to make a positive contribution to the life of the College are encouraged to apply.
http://www.tsc.nsw.edu.au/view/admissions/scholarships-and-bursaries

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
The awarding of a Scholarship will be dependent upon academic results from the ACER Scholarship Selection Test, your supporting material and an interview. All Scholarships will be awarded at the discretion of the Headmaster. Scholarships are awarded for entry into Year 7 and are only awarded to Australian citizens.
http://www.cranbrook.nsw.edu.au/enrolment/scholarships.aspx

Bursaries are means-tested. They are available to boys entering Years 7 to 11 and provide remission of Tuition and/or Boarding Fees. They differ from Academic Scholarships and are awarded upon consideration of broader criteria.
These bursaries are based on a combination of financial need, leadership qualities, academic performance, interview and co-curricular abilities. In particular, country boys who are able to make a positive contribution to the life of the College are encouraged to apply.
http://www.tsc.nsw.edu.au/view/admissions/scholarships-and-bursaries
There could be one lad on the Matt Street scholarship, who by definition may be a fair rugby player.

L Yates

Herbert Moran (7)
In QLD GPS the undefeated ACGS 1st xv replete with 3 Australian schoolboys 2 with Broncos and 2 with Cowboys beat BGS 93 nil yesterday. Stay tuned for the fallout.
The Fullback for ACGS ( who is on a NRL under 20 contract - not a scholarship -with Cowboys )scored 6 tries. Son of former Raiders star Quenton Pongia .

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
In QLD GPS the undefeated ACGS 1st xv replete with 3 Australian schoolboys 2 with Broncos and 2 with Cowboys beat BGS 93 nil yesterday. Stay tuned for the fallout.
The Fullback for ACGS ( who is on a NRL under 20 contract - not a scholarship -with Cowboys )scored 6 tries. Son of former Raiders star Quenton Pongia .

Sounds like an excellent comp.
I thought BGS were pretty heavily into the old scholarships - at least in cricket.
Are you saying the Cowboys pay this kid's school fees - if so why would they bother?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Sounds like the system is working up there;).

Whoever has the best recruiting team wins, instead of the year group with a random selection of the best players. Just like Dodge City in the old west, assemble the best hired guns and you win:(.

Sad that some people describe this as school sport.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Sounds like an excellent comp.
I thought BGS were pretty heavily into the old scholarships - at least in cricket.
Are you saying the Cowboys pay this kid's school fees - if so why would they bother?

If so their recruiting team had an off year.;) Which seems to be the way it works up there - whoever has the most success at finding the best talent at various schoolboy/junior carnivals wins.

The sad thing is that there are adults in positions of authority who are complicit in this stuff.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
The only scholarships would be academic and potentially one for a son of an old boy. The school definitely did not seek out talented rugby players and offer specific sport scholarships.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
The only scholarships would be academic and potentially one for a son of an old boy. The school definitely did not seek out talented rugby players and offer specific sport scholarships.

You are incorrect.....Cranbrook offer several other types of scholarships

Status
Not open for further replies.