• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
I hate to be the one to tell you but Shore has just pulled the pin on the nuclear option. This thread will now have a very limited half-life. I urge you to contact your own snouts there. Simply ask them: What changes will the DoSport be bringing in next year? Sorry.
Hopefully a better eight - HOTR has been way too close for comfort in recent years - need a time at least in the 5.40s to achieve world domination.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Only Days of Our Lives has gone on longer and had two more twists in the story line than this issue.

Nothing will change till the main players are killed of and new script writers appointed.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Only Days of Our Lives has gone on longer and had two more twists in the story line than this issue.

Nothing will change till the main players are killed of and new script writers appointed.

There is roughly a 8-9 year turnover period for GPS dads (assuming 2 sons) - hopefully some new blood will soon emerge that is more informed on player movements across various codes.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Hopefully a better eight - HOTR has been way too close for comfort in recent years - need a time at least in the 5.40s to achieve world domination.

They tried this in the 2006/07 and 2010/11 eights.
1. Didn't work then, not sure it will work again.
2. They have won every other HOTR in last 8 years without post year 7 arrivals.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
A Brumbies Junior Academy player moving to Scots very soon, going into Year 10.
Totally unsubstantiated conjecture at the moment, but I'll keep my ears to the ground for emerging facts.
The boy and his family have not accepted the scholarship offer. They all feel he will be better off completing his education at his current school, maintaining contact with respected teachers, family and friends.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Any takers for hypobaric chamber?
Well, my understanding is it is lower oxygen primarily, hence Hypoxic. If it truly simulates high altitude - lower pressure and oxygen content - then hypobaric. But yes, the two terms are, for our purposes, interchangeable. But it definitely is not hyperbaric!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
I know this is pedantic, but it is a HYPOXIC or altitude chamber at Scots. A hyperbaric chamber is quite the opposite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Cyclo.... You are such a pedant!!!! ;) ;);)
Can we tolerate this behaviour? Or is this just an irregularity or maybe an anomaly???
Think of the children, please!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
My guess is hyperbaric which is used for speeding up return from injuries.
Not sure hypobaric chamber has any great effect in schoolboy rugby. Maybe for rowing and mountain climbing?
Your guess is wrong, unless they bought another chamber, which I am close to 100% sure they did not.
It IS a chamber to simulate high-altitude training, i.e. lower oxygen content, and can benefit any sport with an aerobic component. Rowing and cycling spring foremost to mind. But others like rugby might gain small amounts.
Hyperbaric chambers can be used to speed up recovery from certain injuries, obviously also for diving-related medicine and other specific medical uses. They are hazardous and operated by medical teams, and not generally lobbed into school gymnasia.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Your guess is wrong, unless they bought another chamber, which I am close to 100% sure they did not.
It IS a chamber to simulate high-altitude training, i.e. lower oxygen content, and can benefit any sport with an aerobic component. Rowing and cycling spring foremost to mind. But others like rugby might gain small amounts.
Hyperbaric chambers can be used to speed up recovery from certain injuries, obviously also for diving-related medicine and other specific medical uses. They are hazardous and operated by medical teams, and not generally lobbed into school gymnasia.

.....It's a hypobaric chamber (albeit a a very basic version) ...pure and simple... the Scots facility is managed by qualified people...as i understand it boys just cant bowl up and workout in the fishbowl without supervision.

A hypobaric chamber, or altitude chamber, is a chamber used during aerospace or high terrestrial altitude research or training to simulate the effects of high altitude on the human body, especially hypoxia (low oxygen) and hypobaria (low ambient air pressure). Some chambers also control for temperature and relative humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.