• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
I said GPS and AIC. A lot of the kids that the GPS schools pick up on scholarship come from the AIC and private schools in outer Brisbane. As I already mentioned here and elsewhere, these schools have had Aussie Rules teams for over a decade. It hasn't had a material effect on rugby player numbers. Riverview has had Aussie Rules teams for decades, again, you'd hardly call it an Aussie Rules nursery, would you? Also, Aussie Rules is still very much a sideshow in Sydney. The local league in Sydney is significantly weaker than those of Brisbane or Canberra, both of whom have a fraction of Sydney's population.

The growth of soccer in private schools in Sydney and Brisbane is largely due to changing demographics - especially Sydney Grammar and High, who select candidates on an academic basis and do not consider their applicants' sporting prowess. And let's be honest, the upper echelons of Rugby had a chance to capture new audiences amongst these demographics after the 1999-2003 successes, but instead we turned inwards. It's more of an Eastern Suburbs/North Shore game than ever before.
Your remark about us needing a broader player base and not a handful of altititude trained elites has nought to do with Shore opening up an aerial ping pong team, and everything to do with the concentration of rugby development to a handful of Australia's wealthiest schools, with the gradual demise of some of our previous traditional rugby nurseries (especially schools like Saint Laurence's and, to a lesser extent, Marist Ashgrove in Brisbane). Again, largely due to rugby administration in Australia turning inwards rather than outwards.
TL;DR: your points highlight the problems with schoolboy rugby, but none of them address my direct quote, and have nothing to do with AFL. AFL is not the problem here.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
TOD, or should it be TDO, I'm probably being pedantic but........
Rugby numbers at Grammar are growing. I am reliably informed it is the only school in the GPS where that is the case and that is a if worry if you think about it. The school is also paying some more regard to extracurricular qualities in its applicants for entrance but in these days of freedom of choice that won't translate into rugby players necessarily. It has also made it compulsory for all boys to do sport until end year 11.
High are similarly selecting more (or less on one view of it) selectively and their sport results are showing it.
Small but important steps but not the real issue anyway because rugby in the big rugby schools is in decline generally.
If you think rugby is thriving in Sydney's east you're mistaken: easts juniors have no teams as a rule beyond 13s. Randwick has made a huge push to get functional juniors into the upper ages with considerable success,but in general terms they are caught between increasing private school attendance (making club rugby problematic -as to which see the various state champs and death of club rugby threads for the detail of the problems created) and league, in particular the Tohs which will only get worse given their premiership.
There was a surge in interest after 99 and 03 but those relative triumphs were a long time ago, the kids attracted are now near enough to adults and in the meantime they've been neglected and levied into indifference while money has poured into afl and nrl, the former having its own fox channel!
How far away from having its own channel is rugby?
So denuding any other school system of its talented footballers and brining them into the GPS where only 6 schools are competitive or more accurately participating at the highest level seems very much like preaching to the choir when we should be missionaries to the uninitiated. And the applies on both sides of the Tweed.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Small but important steps but not the real issue anyway because rugby in the big rugby schools is in decline generally.
So denuding any other school system of its talented footballers and brining them into the GPS where only 6 schools are competitive or more accurately participating at the highest level seems very much like preaching to the choir when we should be missionaries to the uninitiated. And the applies on both sides of the Tweed.
Quite a serious problem for the rugby community. For example: if Scots can be joint premiers one year and outright champions the next, yet still not attract greater numbers to their rugby program, rugby suffers overall.
However, the schools exist to provide opportunities in many sports and rugby is not meant to be their raison d'être.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
I'm not sure the ARU has given development over to schools I think it just happened as they have no money. The schools want to be winners at whatever they do and rugby gets the focus from a winter sport prespective so good luck to them. But that isn't helping rugby overall but that is hardly the schools fault, it all sits with the ARU. We need more funds to grow the game but we also need funds to keep our best players or they will all fly off to Europe or Japan to play. What do you do? World rugby with a weak australia is not good for world rugby maybe the IRB need to have a good look at the global program. Maybe they should align the test programs so player can play all over the world and then come back to their home country for a 3 month test period. I really don't know but unless rugby in this country gets some monay and gets it fast rugby will become the home of player who don't make the grade in the NRL or AFL as everyone else will be playing overseas.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
IAFL is not the problem here.

AFL has nothing particularly to do with where we are now, but any significant incursion by the AFL into Sydney private schools will affect rugby. There's only a finite enrolment in each year group, therefore more playing soccer and/or AFL means less playing rugby. Less playing rugby is bad for rugby.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If you think rugby is thriving in Sydney's east you're mistaken: easts juniors have no teams as a rule beyond 13s. Randwick has made a huge push to get functional juniors into the upper ages with considerable success,but in general terms they are caught between increasing private school attendance (making club rugby problematic -as to which see the various state champs and death of club rugby threads for the detail of the problems created) and league, in particular the Tohs which will only get worse given their premiership.
There was a surge in interest after 99 and 03 but those relative triumphs were a long time ago, the kids attracted are now near enough to adults and in the meantime they've been neglected and levied into indifference while money has poured into afl and nrl, the former having its own fox channel!
How far away from having its own channel is rugby?

To pick up on this point; the Manly JRU was formed in 1922 and for 2015 3 of the 4 clubs will have to form joint ventures to exist beyond 13s. The 4th club prefers to fold in a particular age group rather than combine with any of the others.

We've got ourselves into the position where we rely on private school rugby for our survival - if that goes, what's left?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It is now clear why Scots College invested in the Altitude Chamber.

They'll be leading Australia's push for Rugby Extreme to be included as an Official Winter Olympics Sport.

Clever.

Paddogreen

Herbert Moran (7)
Lovely sitting in the comfort of Shore's multimillion stand on Saturday. Stumbled across this photo which has pride and place in the room upstairs. Gold #borntorule #winatallcosts
DSC_0001.JPG

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
RFU laments drug problem

The UK have seen their 1oth professional player suspended for doping offences this year, with RFU boass Ian Ritchie saying, ‘Whichever way you look at it I think there is recognition that there is a problem.” There is a particularly troubling issue at junior levels, with Ritchie emphasising that professional rugby’s endless pursuit of bigger and faster athletes placing pressure on young players to look to performance-enhancers.

A recent study of South African schoolboy players returned 12 positive tests for anabolic steroids out of just 52 undertaken. An anonymous former international coach has characterised the problem as widespread “institutionalised drug-taking”. Former France and Harlequins prop Laurent Benezech has also claimed that drug use in French rugby was comparable to that undertaken in the Tour de France peloton

This is on GAGR front page Monday News... And here we all are worried about some kids fees getting paid and the decline of schools Rugby.

What next?

Do all our boys pump themselves at school to keep up FFS???????

Jaarpies on the juice... No wonder our lads aren't coming close to the soap dodgers in the 20's because they are all wacking a bit of horse shit in their veins.

No wonder I took up paddle boarding, this is f"/ked.

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
RFU laments drug problem

The UK have seen their 1oth professional player suspended for doping offences this year, with RFU boass Ian Ritchie saying, ‘Whichever way you look at it I think there is recognition that there is a problem.” There is a particularly troubling issue at junior levels, with Ritchie emphasising that professional rugby’s endless pursuit of bigger and faster athletes placing pressure on young players to look to performance-enhancers.

A recent study of South African schoolboy players returned 12 positive tests for anabolic steroids out of just 52 undertaken. An anonymous former international coach has characterised the problem as widespread “institutionalised drug-taking”. Former France and Harlequins prop Laurent Benezech has also claimed that drug use in French rugby was comparable to that undertaken in the Tour de France peloton

This is on GAGR front page Monday News. And here we all are worried about some kids fees getting paid and the decline of schools Rugby.

What next?

Do all our boys pump themselves at school to keep up FFS???????

Jaarpies on the juice. No wonder our lads aren't coming close to the soap dodgers in the 20's because they are all wacking a bit of horse shit in their veins.

No wonder I took up paddle boarding, this is f"/ked.

I believe we are not free of this problem either. Pretty sure its been brought up on GAGR before, with some questioning the size of the lads at those schools known to pay fees!
Wherever there are kids (and their parents) desparate to make the highest echelons, there are going to be some who take to performance enhacing drugs.
The question is "do we even do any testing at a schoolboy level?"

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
The question is "do we even do any testing at a schoolboy level?"

AAGPS has in recent times rejected ASADA drug testers. It would seem that it is up to the AAGPS as to whether or not they would institute or allow testing. In principle I would support given that testing would be there as a deterrent and hopefully stop school boys from taking that route to mythical success. Should be random also, not just 100% of the Shore 1st VIII :rolleyes: (and I believe parental authorisation would also be required).

ShaneWatsonGossip

Frank Row (1)
95% of the problems in junior/school sport are caused by the actions of adults (including the title of this thread), this is unfortunately just another manifestation of it.:(

Long time listener, first time poster - I completely agree with this. I worked at a small school south of Yarra, and while there were no issues with importing, the coach treated our rugby team like a professional squad. It took the fun out for the boys. If I had to guess, I'd say the premiership was not worth the blood, sweat and straight up abuse from the coach. Safe to say, the boys no longer enjoy their footy. I guess the old adage 'winners are grinners' doesn't necessarily always hold true.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Captain Cabby

Stan Wickham (3)
This talk of school scholarships is quite disappointing. For my 36 years involved with the GPS I have never seen such ridiculous talk. Shore have been the main winners with all of there Rowing bursaries given out. I can't see any other school doing the same as this school. For far too long they have been complaining about the rugby because of the imports from riverview yet they don't realise that their school is doing it themselves. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.