• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Please someone tell me where the secret bursaries are kept.

Rumpletweezer ran the dinky-tinky shop in the foot of the magic oak tree by the wobbly dum-dum bush in the shade of the magic glade down in Dingly Dell. Here he sold contraceptives and distributed the mythological secret bursaries.......

alfred

Bob McCowan (2)
This talk of school scholarships is quite disappointing. For my 36 years involved with the GPS I have never seen such ridiculous talk. Shore have been the main winners with all of there Rowing bursaries given out. I can't see any other school doing the same as this school. For far too long they have been complaining about the rugby because of the imports from riverview yet they don't realise that their school is doing it themselves. Thoughts?

Please enlighten us all on the rowing bursaries given out.

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
Reading the talk of the ARU doing little to curb player loss,
Isn't the addition of the ARU Junior Gold Cup a step in the right direction?
The addition of this tournament is a direct path through club rugby.
Running through Qld team list I see a mix of GPS and state schools, catching a broader range of kids, give more an opportunity to those who otherwise can't afford to attend a GPS a school.
Thoughts?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Reading the talk of the ARU doing little to curb player loss,
Isn't the addition of the ARU Junior Gold Cup a step in the right direction?
The addition of this tournament is a direct path through club rugby.
Running through Qld team list I see a mix of GPS and state schools, catching a broader range of kids, give more an opportunity to those who otherwise can't afford to attend a GPS a school.
Thoughts?

In Sydney the kids at GPS schools looking at 1sts do not seem to participate.

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
Oh ok, interesting.
Trying to get a feel for how people see this new comp.
You think by choice or school directive?
I saw a list posted on this site somewhere listing the Qld players who are in Gold Cup and their GPS School.
They seem to have a fair few participate.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
IS..TKS does not have a blanket ban on seniors playing JGS.but I'm aware that many of the others don't support the program.

The 7's program also has a sprinkling of GPS first XV's and GPS seniors playing in the current squad.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The 7's program also has a sprinkling of GPS first XV's and GPS seniors playing in the current squad.

Only recognised 1 2 from 1st XVs last year
Oh ok, interesting.
Trying to get a feel for how people see this new comp.
You think by choice or school directive?
I saw a list posted on this site somewhere listing the Qld players who are in Gold Cup and their GPS School.
They seem to have a fair few participate.

I think its both

When you add summer sport to the mix - which is generally compulsory there is very little time

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Only recognised 1 2 from 1st XVs last year

I think its both

When you add summer sport to the mix - which is generally compulsory there is very little time

Slightly off topic for this thread, but I think this is the reason. I was speaking to some boys during the holidays who did JGC last year and they aren't doing it again because it basically means they play and/or train for rugby 12 months a year.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Slightly off topic for this thread, but I think this is the reason. I was speaking to some boys during the holidays who did JGC last year and they aren't doing it again because it basically means they play and/or train for rugby 12 months a year.

The other thing is that once they get to a certain age it basically prevents them doing a weights program in the off season because there is no off season.
15s should not be doing weights so it works Ok for them

R

RuckMyGrass420

I blame the adults

I blame the system. This "need to win" at any cost attitude has been the bane of the GPS for the last decade. My three boys have all gone through Newington and not a single one has made the 1st XV. Two played 13,14 and 15 A's yet were thwarted when Imported players stole their hard earned spots. My boys should have been out there in the white and black (ready to attack). I pay full school fees yet I am the one left standing on the sideline of some muddy oval, far from the main ground.

My boys earnt their spots. That is the bottom line...

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
I blame the system. This "need to win" at any cost attitude has been the bane of the GPS for the last decade. My three boys have all gone through Newington and not a single one has made the 1st XV. Two played 13,14 and 15 A's yet were thwarted when Imported players stole their hard earned spots. My boys should have been out there in the white and black (ready to attack). I pay full school fees yet I am the one left standing on the sideline of some muddy oval, far from the main ground.

My boys earnt their spots. That is the bottom line.
Forgetting games for a minute, were you happy with the education that the little ruckers got at NC though?
That is the major reason for schooling. I do empathise with your dilemma though

R

RuckMyGrass420

Forgetting games for a minute, were you happy with the education that the little ruckers got at NC though?
That is the major reason for schooling. I do empathise with your dilemma though

Apart from the bloody planes flying overhead every five minutes yes I was relatively happy with Newington as a School. As a queensland boy (Churchie) growing up I didn't know much about the NSW GPS but found Newington to be a great place for friends, fun and banter. Oh and don't forget RUCKS;)

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Apparently Darcy Searl, Ex-St Pius, Adamstown and NSW League/Union U16 rep, has popped up in Cranbrook's boarding house.

Status
Not open for further replies.