• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
"Not really its a girls School.
Good breeding stock though.
Maybe he can bus them in from Strathfield for school dances..."
I went to type the name of the Quoted but got scared

using a thoroughbred farm as a stock horse stud?

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
Not really its a girls School.
Good breeding stock though.
Maybe he can bus them in from Strathfield for school dances...

see Brisbane Boys College ( alma mater of Horwill and Genia)represented Australia in the boys tennis ( lost to winners on countback)and are also going to Japan for the Sanix the Worlds Schools rugby. bit different though - you had to win the Australian title in tennis to get to Qatar - whereas in Rugby you only had to be invited.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
http://www.smh.com.au/national/scot...y-university-without-hsc-20150405-1medae.html

Interesting article in todays herald. Why would Sydney University want to create a pathway for students that cant achieve the Atar?

Why indeed? Another one of Dr L's innovations?

Not sure how long-lived the pathway will be judging on the reactions of politicians from both sides and the fact that the uni was going full speed astern on the news tonight. It was characterised as the privileged few buying their way into university when they're not smart enough to get there on their own merits. Not good if you're the government and the universities trying to sell deregulation of the system.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Why indeed? Another one of Dr L's innovations?

Not sure how long-lived the pathway will be judging on the reactions of politicians from both sides and the fact that the uni was going full speed astern on the news tonight. It was characterised as the privileged few buying their way into university when they're not smart enough to get there on their own merits. Not good if you're the government and the universities trying to sell deregulation of the system.

I was wondering if any of the boys involved had a high level of sporting talent.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I was wondering if any of the boys involved had a high level of sporting talent.

It seems for whatever reason that they boys concerned didn't sit the HSC.

Spending a lot of time engaged in sport training could be one explanation for this, it also improves your ranking in the HSC league tables published in the SMH if the weaker students don't sit the exam as the positions are calculated by comparing the students in the top bands against the total number of students who sat the exam. There could be other explanations as well.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Other universities such as UTS and Macquarie offer "alternative entry pathways" too, although their programs are open to all and are post-school. The aim is to give low-ATAR students a second method of entering uni, usually at second year undergraduate level after passing a diploma course at the university's commercial arm.
Historically, Scots have done a similar thing before in a now defunct relationship with UTS.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
50000+ students enrolled at Sydney University.

Unless I've read the article incorrectly, there were 8 students from Scots on the Diploma of Tertiary Preparation Course.
6 of the 8 Scots students were offered places at Sydney University.
4 of the 6 Scots students that were offered places at a University with >50000 students accept a place at Sydney University.

0.008% of the Sydney Uni Students have come in through a back door scheme. Stop the press. Major Scandal. Recall Parliament and change the law ... .. ... NOW!!!!!
If you are under 65 years of age and you get influenza, then you have 0.008% chance of dying from that illness.

This appears to be little more than pole vaulting over a pile of butterfly poo from a reporter keen to get a headline, playing on a tried and true social injustice theme.

Are there more than 4 students at Sydney University, UNSW, UTS, UWS or Macquarie Uni who failed to meet the "normal" HSC/ATAR criteria that have gained their place on economically disadvantaged scholarships? Where is that headline?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I don't think many people would object to an indigenous kid living on a mission in Tingha getting into a course where their raw ATAR would be insufficient.

That is the polar opposite to the most advantaged kids,who with all the benefits and advantages they have at their disposal.are still predicted to be well short of the required ATAR,finding a back door entry that is not widely available to the less privileged.
It's not about whether 4 or 8 or 58 snuck in by this method.
It's about if you have enough money or clout,the rules don't apply to you.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
,finding a back door entry that is not widely available to the less privileged.
It's not about whether 4 or 8 or 58 snuck in by this method.
It's about if you have enough money or clout,the rules don't apply to you.
Quoted for truth.
A man whose views have often informed my own throughout my life once said (paraphrased) "the difference between the classes is the degree to which you feel you control your life".

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
50000+ students enrolled at Sydney University.

Unless I've read the article incorrectly, there were 8 students from Scots on the Diploma of Tertiary Preparation Course.
6 of the 8 Scots students were offered places at Sydney University.
4 of the 6 Scots students that were offered places at a University with >50000 students accept a place at Sydney University.

0.008% of the Sydney Uni Students have come in through a back door scheme. Stop the press. Major Scandal. Recall Parliament and change the law . .. . NOW!!!!!
If you are under 65 years of age and you get influenza, then you have 0.008% chance of dying from that illness.

This appears to be little more than pole vaulting over a pile of butterfly poo from a reporter keen to get a headline, playing on a tried and true social injustice theme.

Are there more than 4 students at Sydney University, UNSW, UTS, UWS or Macquarie Uni who failed to meet the "normal" HSC/ATAR criteria that have gained their place on economically disadvantaged scholarships? Where is that headline?

I think there's a bit more to it than that:

The school agreed to run a 1 year program and ran it over 17 weeks.

The school has more resources than most - but it apparently still can't get kids into university on their own merits? Wow, what an admission.

This smacks of a cosy deal for the privileged few to get something that others can't get, while the university trousers a wad of cash.

The Sydney Uni company that was part of the deal doesn't seem to have kept the acacdemic board of the university aware of what was going on either.

There's a world of difference between the privileged few being given an unfair advantage and the genuinely disadvantaged being given an opportunity.

"Access to university should be fair and equitable," Mr Piccoli told Fairfax Media. "Any scheme that gives some students an unfair advantage is unacceptable and I will be discussing this with the federal government, which is responsible for universities."

Mr Foley, when asked if he would be less worried if the diploma had been offered to all school students, or if the pilot was conducted at a poorer school, said: "It would still worry me … because what we're seeing is people having to pay for a diploma. But secondly, and most importantly, the prestige of our internationally recognised HSC is in danger here."
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/scots-hsc...-minister-adrian-piccoli-20150406-1mfcsf.html

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
So of all the possible schools to run this pilot with, someone decides that it is best done with an elite all boys school in Sydney that happens to be the leading schoolboy rugby school in the county hellbent on world domination. And Sydney University happens to be the leading Club Rugby club that also likes to dominate the Sydney comp. Coincidence maybe.

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
So of all the possible schools to run this pilot with, someone decides that it is best done with an elite all boys school in Sydney that happens to be the leading schoolboy rugby school in the county hellbent on world domination. And Sydney University happens to be the leading Club Rugby club that also likes to dominate the Sydney comp. Coincidence maybe.
Maybe. Is there any evidence that this has anything to do with Scots students playing with the Corp?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ I like the Tin Foil Hat theory @Not in straight but... ... ... Looking at The Corporation Colts Team lists on the Shute Shield Web Site for their Round 2 game vs the Beasts, I can only see 3 former Scots boys from the Class of 2014, and two of those lads were in Colts 2 and one in Colts 3 Bench. None of the three were at National Schoolboy Under 18 Championships last year.

Scots may have produced a reasonably competent 1st XV for the last two years or so, and it may be hell bent on world domination, but I wonder what metric you use to make the determination it is the leading schoolboy rugby school in the country. I think that history may show that other AAGPS schools have won more 1st XV titles over the last 20 years, produced more Australian Schoolboys, Professional Rugby Players or Wallabies. By those same measures I think that there are a couple of Schools in Queensland that may want to think that they may have a claim to being the leading schoolboy rugby school in the country.

As much as I like to see hypocrisy and rorts exposed, the facts don't seem to support the theory this time. However, it may well be that one or more of the 4 former Scots pupils that has obtained entry to Sydney University using this Diploma, may be a rugby player. If so, it is entirely plausible that they may be one of the many students enrolled at Sydney University that play for a club other than The Corporation, or even at a Subbies club. If they are one of the three Scots boys in Colts 2 or 3 with The Corporation, then they have pulled a decent sort of swifty over the usually canny recruiters at BuildCorp.

Last year 4 Scots boys made it to National U18 Schoolboy Championships. This year one of those four is now playing U20 Loig. One is playing rugby with Norths. One hasn't turned up on any Team list yet so no further comment on his club allegiance. The last one is most likely playing with Randwick. Even though his name hasn't appeared on any team lists this year, he played several Colts 1 games for them last year while moonlighting from School footy, and he played all his junior rep rugby with the Wicks.

It would be a rather long bow, but a better Tin Foil Hat Conspiracy theory, to suggest that these State Schoolboy Rugby players may be the very 4 lads that have ended up using the Diploma loophole to get preferential enrolment into Sydney University. At best the Sniper on the Hill can take out one of the two favourite rugby targets but not both. Sydney Uni Footy don't appear to be guilty this time. Scots World Rugby Domination Inc may be guilty but not likely. Sydney University Inc found a nice way to make about $100k last year by running a rather questionable back door enrolment scheme. Dr Mattrass Lambert seems to have taken legitimate advantage of the scheme. Only bad guy appears to have been the business arm of Sydney University which sought to make an easy $100k.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
^^^ I like the Tin Foil Hat theory @Not in straight but. . . Looking at The Corporation Colts Team lists on the Shute Shield Web Site for their Round 2 game vs the Beasts, I can only see 3 former Scots boys from the Class of 2014, and two of those lads were in Colts 2 and one in Colts 3 Bench. None of the three were at National Schoolboy Under 18 Championships last year.

Scots may have produced a reasonably competent 1st XV for the last two years or so, and it may be hell bent on world domination, but I wonder what metric you use to make the determination it is the leading schoolboy rugby school in the country. I think that history may show that other AAGPS schools have won more 1st XV titles over the last 20 years, produced more Australian Schoolboys, Professional Rugby Players or Wallabies. By those same measures I think that there are a couple of Schools in Queensland that may want to think that they may have a claim to being the leading schoolboy rugby school in the country.

As much as I like to see hypocrisy and rorts exposed, the facts don't seem to support the theory this time. However, it may well be that one or more of the 4 former Scots pupils that has obtained entry to Sydney University using this Diploma, may be a rugby player. If so, it is entirely plausible that they may be one of the many students enrolled at Sydney University that play for a club other than The Corporation, or even at a Subbies club. If they are one of the three Scots boys in Colts 2 or 3 with The Corporation, then they have pulled a decent sort of swifty over the usually canny recruiters at BuildCorp.

Last year 4 Scots boys made it to National U18 Schoolboy Championships. This year one of those four is now playing U20 Loig. One is playing rugby with Norths. One hasn't turned up on any Team list yet so no further comment on his club allegiance. The last one is most likely playing with Randwick. Even though his name hasn't appeared on any team lists this year, he played several Colts 1 games for them last year while moonlighting from School footy, and he played all his junior rep rugby with the Wicks.

It would be a rather long bow, but a better Tin Foil Hat Conspiracy theory, to suggest that these State Schoolboy Rugby players may be the very 4 lads that have ended up using the Diploma loophole to get preferential enrolment into Sydney University. At best the Sniper on the Hill can take out one of the two favourite rugby targets but not both. Sydney Uni Footy don't appear to be guilty this time. Scots World Rugby Domination Inc may be guilty but not likely. Sydney University Inc found a nice way to make about $100k last year by running a rather questionable back door enrolment scheme. Dr Mattrass Lambert seems to have taken legitimate advantage of the scheme. Only bad guy appears to have been the business arm of Sydney University which sought to make an easy $100k.

Dear Mr Jarse, thank you for sending me a copy of War and Peace, I have been meaning to read it for a while.

It could well be there is nothing in this story remotely related to this thread.

I happen to be someone who for my own reasons chooses to spend a ridiculous amount of money on my sons education at one of these schools. But there is no way known I would pay an additional $12 K for a possible university shortcut after paying $25K + for the school to educate the child. And I cant see too many other parents so inclined as well.

So here are the unknown unknowns I would like to know.

1) How well publicised was this pilot program within the Scots 2014 year 12? Was it offered to all students?

2) Did the parents actually pay the additional $12K?? Or did the the school pay it??

3) were any of the students on Bursary's or scholarships?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
The Scots relationship with Sydney Uni goes further than rugby. Over the last few years the Uni has provided
  • a Masters degree for Scots staff,
  • a VET program for non ATAR students,
  • speakers for the Scots Summer School
  • mentors for the annual business simulation game,
  • one of the Colleges is a destination for many Scots graduates.
Perhaps the Diploma has nothing to do with rugby - it's just another way an elite school can utilise its contacts to deliver what parents want.

Status
Not open for further replies.