• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
No mention of changes in the eastern suburbs - director of sport moves down the road and x Riverview head at scots?

Very interesting. Both Marcus Blackburn and the former Director of Sport were instrumental in identifying and recruiting young players in recent years. With both of them going/gone, I wonder if a new phase has started at Scots: the publicity of recent premierships in Rugby, Basketball, Cricket, and I think X-country running will bring full-fee paying parents of elite sportsmen to the school.
No more need for sporting scholarships?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
you really think people with pay through the nose and get their kids to travel for up to 3 hours a day,because of a perception that the sporting program is marginally better than what they can buy locally?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Very interesting. Both Marcus Blackburn and the former Director of Sport were instrumental in identifying and recruiting young players in recent years. With both of them going/gone, I wonder if a new phase has started at Scots: the publicity of recent premierships in Rugby, Basketball, Cricket, and I think X-country running will bring full-fee paying parents of elite sportsmen to the school.
No more need for sporting scholarships?

If the parents of elite sportsmen, on average and generally speaking, could (a) afford the fees; and
(b) thought the schools concerned were a good way to spend their $30k per child per annum
there would never have been a need for scholarships in the first place.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
If the parents of elite sportsmen, on average and generally speaking, could (a) afford the fees; and
(b) thought the schools concerned were a good way to spend their $30k per child per annum
there would never have been a need for scholarships in the first place.

Agreed.
As the school sees it (I assume), the successes generated in part by the scholarship athletes gave the school a lot of publicity about the other aspects of sporting programs at the school. Top class training facilities, professional coaches, coaching during school hours, sporting pathways through all age groups, and academic programs to suit elite athletes are criteria for a good way to spend their $30k. Hence, they see scholarships as a way to bring more customers in the door in the long term.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
It's got to be a double edge sword. Yes you create positive publicity around your success and this attracts interest in the school. But you piss off all the full fee paying parents at the school, especially when young Jonny loses his position in the A's to an import.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)

Nothing will change. Torrance I heard was shuffled to cranbrook as he was front and centre of the scholarship fiasco that has ruined scots image. Not liked by the parents as he played favorites with the scholarship kids.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Nothing will change. Torrance I heard was shuffled to cranbrook as he was front and centre of the scholarship fiasco that has ruined scots image. Not liked by the parents as he played favorites with the scholarship kids.

Wasn't Lambert front and centre? Isn't front and centre his default position in all matter sporting?

BeastieBoy

Herbert Moran (7)
Marcus was a good guy and is going to a non elite rugby school with just a few teams but an emphasis on academics. The cost in senior school starts in low 40ks and climbs rapidly. Scholarship boys get preference in teams and academics. Fee paying Parents are crazy to support this model with so many scholarship boys. Unfortunately more schools are embracing it. The parents need to realize that it more and more competitive in the local market for jobs just like its been overseas. They take the young ones with the best academic qualification plus other qualities. You are a long time on the sidelines.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
I was at a dinner recently where Nick Farr Jones was guest speaker. He was asked about his comments he made last year concerning the Scots New debacle. He rambled a bit but said his primary concern was the big mismatches where there may be safety issues if the size, speed and strength of the scholarship team is superior to the non scholarship team. He went on to say that his school Newington had offered scholarships and bought a premiership. He said he fronted the Head of school and the explanation given was the only schools that complained were the schools with waiting lists. Something New had never had. So in order for it to gain a waiting list it had to become a school of excellence. Hense the need for sporting scholarships. Wouldn't you think if you wanted to be more like the schools with waiting lists you would copy their formula?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)

I don't see it that way at all. Dr Lambert surely was pivotal in the explosion of sporting scholarships at Scots. As Principal, he would be intimately aware of policy changes, cost implications, and long term organisational strategy. Given that the College Council has wet-lettuce-leafed Lambert over the stacking of rugby and basketball teams with scholarship holders over several recent years, the only conclusion to draw is that Lambert designed, promulgated, defended and encouraged the scholarship strategy.
Torrance was Lambert's go-to guy for implementation.

Status
Not open for further replies.