• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liam Robertson

Peter Burge (5)
Hi, I'm new to this but just thought I would start to give my thoughts. I agree with what Lindommer says. I think its safe to say that Shore can squeeze all of the sons of OBs in. I mean it is these boys who get first priority when enrolling, apart from those who have come from the prep campus.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
LOL the logic in this thread.

My dad was a good customer of coles.

Thus whenever there is a milk shortage I should get first dibs on the milk.

Soon this thread will break into an argument about how the whole world has gone to shit because products from the land haven't inflated as well as others, or you have to buy/pay/upkeep a tractor instead of just flogging a commoner to do it.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
LOL the logic in this thread.

My dad was a good customer of coles.

Thus whenever there is a milk shortage I should get first dibs on the milk.

Soon this thread will break into an argument about how the whole world has gone to shit because products from the land haven't inflated as well as others, or you have to buy/pay/upkeep a tractor instead of just flogging a commoner to do it.
WTF. Random comment.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
I doubt very much if Shore can't squeeze all the sons of OBs who'd like to go there into the place. Many OBs don't have sons, quite a few move away, another lot can't afford the fees and there'd be some who don't want to send there sons to Shore for various reasons. Melbourne Grammar have a theoretical ceiling of 50% of their intake are sons of OBs; they seem to squeeze in all those who'd like to go there.

Shore have a policy of giving sons of old boys preference to places. But you still need to apply early ( pretty much as soon as they are born to guarantee a place). But I know there are plenty of boys who's father did not go there.

I think the $3000 non refundable confirmation fee (or the "are you serious about educating your son at Shore fee?") payable 2 years before entry sorts alot out. I suppose the thinking is, if you can't pay that fee you have no chance of paying the real fees.

I know it's easier to get a second boy in once there is a sibling at school. And they always seem to have a boarding spot

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
I know it's easier to get a second boy in once there is a sibling at school. And they always seem to have a boarding spot

This is not true - there are 17 boys with siblings already in the school that cannot get a place in year 7 next year.

Some are 3rd & 4th generation and have been booked in since 2004 - still no spots for them.

Boarding spots also full i am told.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
My experience was sligtly better than that. But you have to be persistent.

I think it is an appalling situation if the school does not keep enough places for sons of old boys. The heart and sole of the school comes from that sense of association and history of family connections.

Liam Robertson

Peter Burge (5)

I think it is an appalling situation if the school does not keep enough places for sons of old boys. The heart and sole of the school comes from that sense of association and history of family connections.

Well said Not in straight

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

I think the problem is that there are too many sons of old boys for the positions available. The last statistic that I heard was that there were almost 10 times the number of boys on the wait list than there were spots available.

Maybe some of the old boys who are complaining weren't that good at maths?;)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I doubt very much if Shore can't squeeze all the sons of OBs who'd like to go there into the place. Many OBs don't have sons, quite a few move away, another lot can't afford the fees and there'd be some who don't want to send their sons to Shore for various reasons. Melbourne Grammar have a theoretical ceiling of 50% of their intake are sons of OBs; they seem to squeeze in all those who'd like to go there.

The Shore enrolment policy is that sons and grandsons of old boys have priority, provided that they are enrolled before their first birthday. Even if they do this, they still miss out because there are only around 200 places in Year 7, about 100 of which are taken by the boys moving from the Prep school (most of whom are also sons of old boys). Their enrolment year starts/ends on the 10th of May each year, at which point parents receive a letter requiring $1000 to confirm a place - at this point the child is about 12-18 months old. Two years before starting another $2000 is payable as final confirmation.

Old boy or not, if the child isn't booked in by about 3 months of age he's probably not going to get a spot. Boarding is a bit easier, but twice the price.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
This is not true - there are 17 boys with siblings already in the school that cannot get a place in year 7 next year.

Some are 3rd & 4th generation and have been booked in since 2004 - still no spots for them.

Boarding spots also full i am told.

Sounds like they applied after the child's first birthday as boys starting Year 7 next year would be born in 2003. Therein lies the problem, they put their form in too late.

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
The registrar . At shore . I gather a female . Mans the phones apparently her name is mud.

Number of ex shore boys (multiple generations) with sons now at scots , cranbrook Etc . Have told me they were left with very nasty taste in their mouth

Shore headmaster should look at it . Disgraceful treatment of old boys

Shore is under strong enrolment pressure and parents seeking day student positions are advised to apply as soon as possible after the birth of their child. ahahah no chance getting into this school ..old boy or not!! As soon as the birth of their child, got nothing to do with talent on a rugby field or academics unless they have a crystal ball....

http://www.shore.nsw.edu.au/enrolment/enrolment-general-info

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Shore is under strong enrolment pressure and parents seeking day student positions are advised to apply as soon as possible after the birth of their child. ahahah no chance getting into this school ..old boy or not!! As soon as the birth of their child, got nothing to do with talent on a rugby field or academics unless they have a crystal ball..
http://www.shore.nsw.edu.au/enrolment/enrolment-general-info
Isn't the point that everyone has a chance provided that they are sufficiently organised to have enrolment forms and sharpened quill at the birth? Sounds more like the type of meritocracy that many Australians would like to believe we live in than the UK style lineage system that operates at certain schools. And is it really healthy to have a closed gene pool? Darwinism would suggest otherwise.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Some people who have a sense of entitlement just don't getting no for an answer. So when they get the answer they don't like, and then they find that they can't bring any pressure to bear to change the decision, they blame someone else.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Some people who have a sense of entitlement just don't getting no for an answer. So when they get the answer they don't like, and then they find that they can't bring any pressure to bear to change the decision, they blame someone else.
I am sure you are right ... However I would say sceggs Darlinghurst has same issue and by all accounts they seem to handle it better ... My understanding is registrar is very understanding and explains that ...as everyone can't be born on 2 January they divide the year up into 2 halves, such that if your kid is born back half of year they have half a chance

Not sure what their old girl policy is

Anyway back to scholarship ... I was told that Riverview has currently over a 100 bursaries ... That sounds a staggering large amount ... But maybe once you put across loads of years, maybe that is the aagps norm?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The things that seem to grind the gears of many about scholarships, fee assistance, bursaries, discounted education, or what ever it is called are:
1. When the bursaries/scholarships are not openly advertised or open to all to apply for.
2. When the recipients lob up at the school in Year 11 or Year 12.
3. When the recipients only do rugby, not even pretending to care about their academic progression and contribute little else to the school culture and community.
4. When the majority of a 1st XV (or future 1st XV) is in category 1, 2 and/or 3.

1. Most of the 100+ bursaries at Riverview are openly advertised and mostly have selection criteria that is other than sporting ability (or "Citizenship" which is sometimes euphemistically used in lieu by some).

2. Not too many folk are all that upset when a good athlete has been at the School since day 1 of year 7. This at least indicates that the School is investing in the child for the long term, not just to win the pennant.

3. A scholarship recipient who is not just a outright jock, and who is active in a range of extra curricular and community service activities as well as doing a guts effort with the books is a less cynical non-compliance with the AAGPS code of conduct that the Heads of Schools have all signed up to.

From the seat of my high horse, which is some distance from Lane Cove, none of the Riverview bursaries appear to be in breach of the AAGPS Code of Conduct. There are probably as many rugby gumbies on bursaries as there are talented sportsmen, and many of those talented rugby players on bursaries are equally or more talented in other areas, which may be the reason why they earned their bursary in the first instance.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
I have no problems with scholarships. As long as the young man uses it to further himself in general terms, not just Rugby, I think it is good. I find this particularly gratifying especially when the family do not have the means to provide this "experience" for their son. Most of the young men I have met whom have scholarships (and their families) are very respectful and see the opportunity value proposition.

It is a two edged sword for the schools. They may win the sport, however if they abuse (what we the community see as unfair) the system they may be labelled as unsportsman like (and possibly un-Australian) and also have the current parents asking a number of questions such as "are the fees I pay subsidising other? and Why?"

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
Some parents dont have the funds to pay the fees for the entire high school years and only can pay for the final two years of high school that really matter being year 11 and 12. To say those kids who come in yr 11 and 12 don't contribute to school culture is unfair .

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Why does Shore have such strong demand? What makes it a better option for C of E North Shore parents than Knox or Barker?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Why does Shore have such strong demand? What makes it a better option for C of E North Shore parents than Knox or Barker?

• A focus on maximising the potential of each boy - academic ability, character, and sporting skills:
  • a traditional approach to AAGPS values and practices:
  • strong pastoral support.

I could go on but I've got a PR CV to polish.

Status
Not open for further replies.