• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
78?
Hawker repeated into 77 to no avail
His little brother was 5/8 in 78 I'm pretty sure

Hawker repeated to help them be Joint Premiers. His brother played in the 3's or 4's. One the of the 77 to 78 repeaters did so because he didn't get into desired course at Uni - but second round offers came after school started and he could of gone - a wasted year.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
1980:
Monahan
Cowlishaw
Jeffcott
Blunt
Caspersonn?
Martz
Erickson?
Freeman
Forsyth
Taylor
?
Allen?
Flash Gordon?
Lyons

Flash went to SGS...but not a family of Gordon players I dont think

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
1980:
Monahan
Cowlishaw
Jeffcott
Blunt
Caspersonn?
Martz
Erickson?
Freeman
Forsyth
Taylor
?
Allen?
Flash Gordon?
Lyons

Flash went to SGS...but not a family of Gordon players I dont think

Given it is the 1st Thurs of the month he is probably at the Roseville RSL as we type. Also think of the circle of life when you think family.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Anyway I have gone way off thread. Back to scholarships - any word on how New's swimming team is shaping up for next year. Word on the pool deck in 1st term was that all was not well with one of the superstars.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Anyway I have gone way off thread. Back to scholarships - any word on how New's swimming team is shaping up for next year. Word on the pool deck in 1st term was that all was not well with one of the superstars.

Swimming was more interesting when the CAS tried to talk it up to rival the Head of the River

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
your importing comment makes me laugh, but theres another thread for that. And id doubt it if he had been considering other schools

I might be wrong here Random. Can you give me some specific examples in the other thread?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
One the of the 77 to 78 repeaters did so because he didn't get into desired course at Uni - but second round offers came after school started and he could of gone - a wasted year.

I call bullshit.
In what world would you not accept the course in Uni & walk out of school, if that was the only motivation for returning?

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
I call bullshit.
In what world would you not accept the course in Uni & walk out of school, if that was the only motivation for returning?

First term fees paid up front. Also made Prefect - difficult to extract once you are there. Probably thought their team with so many repeaters would win - didn't bank on Scots and Kings having extremely strong 16s coming into the opens.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I might be wrong here Random. Can you give me some specific examples in the other thread?

there are atleast 2, maybe 3 boys i know off who can be called imports. Riverview may not be as bad as other schools, but much like Kings they are very good at hiding it. They don't go out giving scholarships to many 6'6 islanders or magic indigenous boys or even NTS members, but they import never the less. I do agree though with many people when they say that scholarships should be allowed in GPS rugby. If you allow schools to have somewhat of a 'scholarship cap' where by only 4 or 5 boys in 1st XV can be on scholarships and that they must have come by year 10 itll give schools like Shore, Grammar and High a chance.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Grammar would walk away if it were out in the open - thats no reason not to have it but its a simple fact that the school has backed the historical meaning of a grammar school:
A grammar school is one of several different types of school in the history of education in the United Kingdom and some other English-speaking countries, originally a school teaching classical languages but more recently an academically-oriented secondary school.
The original purpose of mediaeval grammar schools was the teaching of Latin.

There is no will in the place to change the path they're on - sport is an adjunct to an education, probably as it should be - though not disrespected to the extent it has been.
Old boys have no say - "friends of grammar rugby" was basically told to stop operations, the school didn't want the money for scrum machines or whatever: they want what to control is spent in the sport and what it is spent on. Old Boys have less inclination to be involved because the academic selection process to get in excludes any reference to a family connection to the school so there is no certainty an old boy's son will get in.
I suspect High is in the same position.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Grammar would walk away if it were out in the open - thats no reason not to have it but its a simple fact that the school has backed the historical meaning of a grammar school:
A grammar school is one of several different types of school in the history of education in the United Kingdom and some other English-speaking countries, originally a school teaching classical languages but more recently an academically-oriented secondary school.
The original purpose of mediaeval grammar schools was the teaching of Latin.

There is no will in the place to change the path they're on - sport is an adjunct to an education, probably as it should be - though not disrespected to the extent it has been.
Old boys have no say - "friends of grammar rugby" was basically told to stop operations, the school didn't want the money for scrum machines or whatever: they want what to control is spent in the sport and what it is spent on. Old Boys have less inclination to be involved because the academic selection process to get in excludes any reference to a family connection to the school so there is no certainty an old boy's son will get in.
I suspect High is in the same position.

IS, seemingly Trinity and possibly BGS and Churchie are using different definitions to yours! :)
Also I thought some 5-10 years ago SGS established a quota for sons of Old Boys.
A number of schools have similar policies on how donated funds are to be distributed - I have been involved in a capital intensive sport at two schools that worked this way. Basically it is to stop any one sport becoming too elitist/dominant within a school (although this is very much the case with one of the schools and the sport in question)

Status
Not open for further replies.