• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)
ON85 as we have just discussed, none of the Bursary kids are in the 1st XV and so far we havent discovered a one in past years either. If they were using them to buy rugby players you would think they would chose kids good enough to make the team?
Mitch Whitley?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
'We don't offer scholarships, but here's a list of 35 bursaries'? Absolutely clean, no need for a 're-view' ? Ah the naivety of youff
But that is the whole point for me. If the School advertises their bursaries or scholarships on their website, then it is ok and transparent.
But when 9 or 10 kids all born in 1995 all join in years 9 & 10,who are not local, have no ties with the School and happen to be good Rugby players, is a completely different story.Especially when these kids will be in year 12 in an anniversary year for this school.
You are comparing apples with oranges.

O

ON85

ON, it would seem you are in favour of open slather, in which case you should probably visit the grandstand at Northbridge and compare it to yours, because this will give you an idea as to what is possible with Shore Old Boy money. The sleeping giant will be awakened and New will never win another premiership in any sport. :)

That is a very impressive structure, I really like the Trophy/Function Room, a really interesting stroll through history, found a team photo of the 1958 GPS Tennis Premiers, starring J Newcombe and G Pollard ! Amazing. OB's are to be congratulated, trust Waterhouse and Keeling were not involved ? lol

Not in favour of open slather, but keen to see New developing a better Rugby pedigree. Success breeds success and that will be evident in enrolments over the next few years.

O

ON85

But that is the whole point for me. If the School advertises their bursaries or scholarships on their website, then it is ok and transparent.
But when 9 or 10 kids all born in 1995 all join in years 9 & 10,who are not local, have no ties with the School and happen to be good Rugby players, is a completely different story.Especially when these kids will be in year 12 in an anniversary year for this school.
You are comparing apples with oranges.

Its acceptable because Riverview camoflage their Scholarship Programme as Jesuits reaching out to the needy?

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Its acceptable because Riverview camoflage their Scholarship Programme as Jesuits reaching out to the needy?

Mate, you keep banging on about this without any facts. If you are going to keep touting this shadow scholarship program name some representative players who have come to the school in year 10 or older who are have been given bursaries. Without any proof we are just going round in circles...

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
JMac, best to ignore these kind of people after a while, and they will slink off...they're of the kind that no matter how much you try to reason with them, they're still stubbornly sticking to what they said in the first place just for pride's stake...Been there and done that here and outside myself...

O

ON85

Mate, you keep banging on about this without any facts. If you are going to keep touting this shadow scholarship program name some representative players who have come to the school in year 10 or older who are have been given bursaries. Without any proof we are just going round in circles...

Thats a soft call. To scream for 'proof' or 'facts' is the inevitable position of the uncomfortable. The 'facts' are in the public domain, there's no need for me to prove anything. Theyre printed in blue and white on the website.

The real issue here is the attitude of people such as yourself, who quite happily criticise and demean schools like Newington, while your own institution markets 'opportunities' like 10c Kit Kats.

B

baldingwingforward

Thats a soft call. To scream for 'proof' or 'facts' is the inevitable position of the uncomfortable. The 'facts' are in the public domain, there's no need for me to prove anything. Theyre printed in blue and white on the website. .

In other words, you have no proof! So are you saying that there is a list of Rugby scholarships printed in blue and white on the website? I don't think so. Are you familiar with the Yallari program? Maybe investigate what that is before you start throwing mud.

I can easily list all of the imports at Newington for you if you like, including the 5 new boys who have just started in Yr 10 this term... I guess they got them in in term 4, just in case the GPS decide to get strict about the rule they tried to introduce whereby boys joining the school after the start of an academic year arent allowed to represent the school in GPS competitions. Be a shame if they came to the school and then couldn't play!

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Thats a soft call. To scream for 'proof' or 'facts' is the inevitable position of the uncomfortable. The 'facts' are in the public domain, there's no need for me to prove anything. Theyre printed in blue and white on the website.

The real issue here is the attitude of people such as yourself, who quite happily criticise and demean schools like Newington, while your own institution markets 'opportunities' like 10c Kit Kats.

There is an expectation when you make a claim that you have some sort of grounding or proof to back up your statements. Without proof all you have is an opinion or an assumption.

Im more than happy to continue the discussion on sporting scholarships but if you all you are going to do is keep slagging off Riverview because you don't like them then maybe you should go to Sportal or one of the other adolescent slagging matches.

For the record, I haven't slagged Newington, I actually like the school and two of my best mates are from there. I have made comments about their coach as I am unsure he is the best guy for their team after watching them play View this year.

But I have voiced my opposition to blatent importing from certain schools and have talked about New being the new culprit. When I was playing footy for View it was Kings who were the importing machine. When I got to the final years of school all of a sudden Dean Mumm, Benn Robinson, Daniel Halangahu, Daniel Conn (Gold Coast Titans) and 6 other players suddenly appeared. The original players in the A's through the grades were relegated to the 2nds and their dream of playing 1st's for their school disappeared. Most of those players were so annoyed at the school they all played soccer in protest.

That's why I don't like importing, it ruins the fun of schoolboy footy. If View had started down that path since I left, I would be very interested to know about it, but until you can provide us with any evidence you just making yourself out to be ignorant.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Reading the story in the Courier Mail today on Gregory Terrace taking students on sporting merit.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/terrace-doors-open-to-athletes/story-e6freoof-1226205484034

I don't think that there will be any impact or change to GPS QLD results for a long long time to come as it does not look like they will benefit from this until at least 2017 or even 2018, when the first year level subject to the "new tune" will actually reach year 12.

Also, I think it is a funny way of importing when the student still pays full fees for their education.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Definitely an interesting concept Dark Shark. I imagine most of the schools take in students on sporting merit provided they are still paying for their ticket though

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Terrace have really done themselves no favours with the public nature of this decision. If you read the fine print, it seems that they are just bumping kids up the very long entry que rather full blown importing. Which is something they have probably done in the past anyway. I'm sure the bit about providing financial assistance will only be where necessary, which again, is something the school already does.

Nonetheless, the very public way in which they have lowered their 'moral' standards by importing will be seen as a massive failure unless they win the bloody comp.

DownsSupporter

Frank Nicholson (4)
I dont believe that Terrace have lowered their moral standard in any way by their acceptance of all round sporting ability as a legitimate consideration for entry to the school at at the standard entry points of Year 5 and 8. It is vastly different to offering entry to boys in term 4 Year 10 who may have performed well for Qld U 16.

I am no apologist for Terrace but rather an ex parent of a GPS school who I wish had followed the course that has been maintained by the Terrace organisation

gtjack

Herbert Moran (7)
From what's been seen around Gregory Terrace in the past few weeks, Peter Chapman's claims to be basically just bumping up talented kids in the queue is bogus. Numerous young Polynesian lads have been seen being given tours of the campus by the director of sport/rugby, and apparently plans include bringing in 5 for year 10 next year and 3 for year 11 next year. It could just be speculation, but I'd put very little trust in the Courier Mail's report when it comes to admission/fees. I'd imagine it will be kids who don't need to board, just need a little financial help and don't necessarily have the family ties to get into the school.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
the 5 new boys who have just started in Yr 10 this term...

If true very sad for the born and bred New boys whom they will displace. Ironically, when Scots did this is in the early/mid 90's one long time Scots family where so disgruntled at the displacement of their son that they placed their youngest boy at another school who went on to captain NSW schools :) :)

O

ON85

In other words, you have no proof! So are you saying that there is a list of Rugby scholarships printed in blue and white on the website? I don't think so. Are you familiar with the Yallari program? Maybe investigate what that is before you start throwing mud.

I can easily list all of the imports at Newington for you if you like, including the 5 new boys who have just started in Yr 10 this term... I guess they got them in in term 4, just in case the GPS decide to get strict about the rule they tried to introduce whereby boys joining the school after the start of an academic year arent allowed to represent the school in GPS competitions. Be a shame if they came to the school and then couldn't play!

I'm sure you can, in fact I know you can. I can't, yet my consolation is that I don't have an interest and a knowledge of schoolboy Rugby that borders on being unnatural, even for a staff member

As I' ve said a couple of times, the significant improvement in Newington's Rugby fortunes does not sit well with some traditionalists and that's the core of this discussion. It's beyond belief that some would invoke the hallowed GPS charter, the same charter that their own institutions have happily ignored for generations.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I'm sure you can, in fact I know you can. I can't, yet my consolation is that I don't have an interest and a knowledge of schoolboy Rugby that borders on being unnatural, even for a staff member

As I' ve said a couple of times, the significant improvement in Newington's Rugby fortunes does not sit well with some traditionalists and that's the core of this discussion. It's beyond belief that some would invoke the hallowed GPS charter, the same charter that their own institutions have happily ignored for generations.

So now that we have established that View don't use the Bursary program to give sporting scholarships can I ask; do you think that New's improvement in Rugby is to do with scholarships or things like coaching, facilities etc have also played a big role?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The core of the discussion is about scholarships. New are being blatant about flouting the "hallowed GPS charter", 5 or 6 kids in year 9 in 2010 then another 5 or 6 kids in year 10 in 2011.
It is shameless and indefensible. If other Schools were as blatant as this in years gone by then shame on them too. But that doesn't excuse New's current activities.

Status
Not open for further replies.