• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Scott Morrison- Liberal Immigration Spokesman

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chief

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...-muslim-strategy/story-fn59niix-1226007615837

I see his comments as offensive and innapropriate. If those discussions did take place in the Coalition's party room, I see his position as untenable, and he must resign. This is after the comments he directed at the funerals of the Christmas Island boat people disaster.

He is completely disgusting, and I think the Liberals can do a lot better than this.

Under Keating, I believe it was made illegal to discriminate against one's religion or ethnicity, correct?

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
I'm glad someone else cares about this issue. Australia was a signatorie of the Declaration of Human Rights in 1948. One of these fundamental rights is the right to seek asylum. I hope anyone who thinks that the poor bastards and their relo's should have to pay more than the financial and human cost they have already suffered can rot in hell. Maybe rotting in hell is a bit harsh, but seriously you are what makes this country one that is viewed by many as xenophobic.
Tax payers dollars give me a break. It possibly cost you a few cents each. The $300, 000 figure being mentioned is due to the nasty policy of previous governments which have come up with solutions such as sticking these people in detention in Nauru.
Australia the world is watching.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
It doesn't sound like even the government believe he really said it?

Labor's Ed Husic, the nation's first Muslim MP (Moana Pasifika), questioned whether Mr Morrison had made the remarks attributed to him in the leaked report of the shadow cabinet discussion.

“At first we have to bear in mind that this is a position that is being related not by Scott Morrison but by people who claim this is his position and what he is advocating,” he told The Australian Online.

Mr Husic said migrants were obliged to integrate into Australian society, but did so successfully and were attracted by Australian values, including tolerance and fairness.

Husic notes at the end the migrants are 'obliged to integrate'. This comment seems to have some concern that elements don't integrate and those elements detract from our society.

I don't care where anyone comes from, what colour they are or what they believe, as long as the work within our values and our society, otherwise ultimately our society will fail. This is occurring in some areas of Britain already.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
It seems you both have also missed the biggest issue over the last week. Why did the government send an orphaned 9 year old boy back into detention, despite him having family in Sydney. He could, and should have remained in Sydney with them while he was 'processed'. I expect that they may have even broken human rights laws by doing this.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
And in spite of what Morrison said, what was the media doing filming the funerals with such gusto. The media is going after Morrison for his comments, but what about their turning the whole funeral and grieving of the families into some media event. Morrison may be a right wing toad, but some of the media is fairly much contemptuous scum as well. But they probably would justify themselves saying it is the public's interest to shove a camera in the face of some shattered nine year old kid. And if they could use the images and film to push their various agendas so much the better.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The bloke said it, he retracted it and now we are all supposed to bebelieve he didn't mean it. Which one was it Morrison, either you were caught out using these people for cheap political milage or you are just a hateful piece of scum? Either way you are a low life grub and if Abbott doesn't turf your arse, he is sinking to your level quickly.

If any good is to come from this, maybe the greater compassionate elements of Australian society can rise and say enough is enough, no longer shall this issue be treated as a political football by both major parties and Government can start forming policy without constantly looking of its shoulder at public opinion. This is not an issue to be determaned down political lines. Malcom Fraser has proven this in the past.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
No doubt Bowen screwed up; releasing the boy back was a big mistake. In fact, Bowen barely looked into the issue and just used some bland excuse of "I was following advice that we should keep all the survivors together". I wonder if the advice also stated to get them off Christmas Island, where they crashed. You probably won't see the opposition attack him over it though, they don't have a leg to stand on (outside of Hockey) with the matter after attacking the government for getting them to their own family's funerals in the first place. Morrison continuing his attacks after just apologising for the timing is completely misread the matter.

No doubt Morrison is an idiot; I'll be amazed if he keeps his position. Note that the Libs have been very careful with what they say: they haven't denied that Morrison wanted to use Muslim immigrants as a wedge tactic at all, but they've used loads of weasel words around it. Morrison and Abbott are two of the coalition that I think need to go for them to improve their chances at the next election. The other move the Coalition needs is to get Robb into the shadow treasury, as he craps all over Hockey on economic matters.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Turnbull and Robb have much greater economic credibility than the remainder of the Coalition and all of Labor.

Swan has to go for this country to get back on track.

Status
Not open for further replies.