• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Senate enquiry into Australian Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
It's being discussed in the Super Rugby thread I think
It is and could be discussed in the ARU thread also.

As it will go on for a couple months and will theoretically cover not only the Force axing but larger aru governance issues I thought maybe it's own thread.

Not too fussed though. I'm in the wrong time zone to get all over it like white on rice anyway.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
The Hansard notes are about to be released. Forty six pages of obfuscation by Pulver - who can't release confidential agreements to the Senate but can share the Alliance Agreement with Tim North and the VRU. Forty six pages of $13 m poured down the Melbourne Rebels money pit but the Force were the team to be axed. Forty six pages of Alan Winney's offer to buy the Rebels in 2014 and cauterise the money flow to the rebels. Forty six pages of a $1 sale of the rebels to Cox and from Cox back to the VRU. Forty six pages of Pulver questioning the Senator as to the purpose of her questions. And it just got started.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Excellent to see taxpayer dollars being used so fruitfully. Did anyone expect a Senate enquiry to be actually useful? It is run by, you know, senators. This was always going to be a fluffybunny convention from most, if not all, parties.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Hansard notes are about to be released. Forty six pages of obfuscation by Pulver - who can't release confidential agreements to the Senate but can share the Alliance Agreement with Tim North and the VRU. Forty six pages of $13 m poured down the Melbourne Rebels money pit but the Force were the team to be axed. Forty six pages of Alan Winney's offer to buy the Rebels in 2014 and cauterise the money flow to the rebels. Forty six pages of a $1 sale of the rebels to Cox and from Cox back to the VRU. Forty six pages of Pulver questioning the Senator as to the purpose of her questions. And it just got started.

I thought it was clearly understood, they were axed because they could be, the Rebs couldn't, so they weren't

Next

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
I thought it was clearly understood, they were axed because they could be, the Rebs couldn't, so they weren't

Next
I think the senate inquiry covers more than that - and seems to have uncovered a murky pot of lies and there seems to be questions about why so much money was poured down the Rebels money pit

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think the senate inquiry covers more than that - and seems to have uncovered a murky pot of lies and there seems to be questions about why so much money was poured down the Rebels money pit

Sorry, but who cares, a private sporting organisation has the right to spend it's money how it pleases.

The only thing a government can question IMHO is the accounting of any grants they provided and anyone who has ever dealt with these orgs knows that the reporting on that is stringent and onerous already

As far as I care this is the standard overreach of government into stuff that is none of their business and a waste of time and money

The only people the ARU has to report to is their board, and they approved the budget and the decisions that led to the Force being cut

Next

B

BLR

Sorry, but who cares, a private sporting organisation has the right to spend it's money how it pleases.

The only thing a government can question IMHO is the accounting of any grants they provided and anyone who has ever dealt with these orgs knows that the reporting on that is stringent and onerous already

As far as I care this is the standard overreach of government into stuff that is none of their business and a waste of time and money

The only people the ARU has to report to is their board, and they approved the budget and the decisions that led to the Force being cut

Next

A private sporting organisation that gets national GOVERNMENT funding......soooo, what now?

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Yeah, but what's that funding for?
$1.6m with about $1m for high performance and the balance for participation last year. Would expect it is to fund the sevens teams and growth. Would be surprised if much went to men's XVs at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

BLR

Yeah, I don't buy your argument....

I'm sorry, in what way? You have a whole state told to 'get to fuck' and a complete loss of a rugby pathway. I grew up here without that pathway, 6,000 odd km's away from the centre of the 'ARU' there aren't scouts coming over here without a professional team here. That's a 100% fact that I think those over east don't quite get. WA Rugby was bent over a bench and violated, even the non passionate rugby supporters know this has occurred and understand the ARU/Wallabies have chosen not to represent us any longer. You may not get it, but this is the feeling amongst many people over here.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
After the damage they have done in Western Australia. Yes. They aren't.
They weren't a national sport with WA having a super rugby side, yet we got funding, you point?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
well they aren't competent and there doesnt seem to be any other avenue open to change (board appear pretty gutless).

but the gist of the above is lets keep the status quo and let the aru go down the tubes in a couple years? Awesome

i mean a senate enquiry is nothing but a finger waggin from what i understand but you cant say they dont need a good finger wagging!

lou75

Ron Walden (29)

Next
private sporting organisations must be true to their constitution - they can not spend their money how they please. The ARU has failed its key obligations according to its constitution.
The Board is accountable to its stakeholders even nobodies like me but especially a whole state.
The Senate can make recommendations about the incompetence of the ARU management and the failure of the Board to uphold their duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.