• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Seti Tafua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think this deserves its own thread.
Forum members would know the story from posts in the Shute Shield thread: http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/shute-shield-2012.9568/page-42#post-379642

When I hear this sort of news I think how lucky I am and most of us are to have played the game we love, to have sore knees/ shoulders etc but not to have suffered a devastating injury at a young age.
Luckily its rare enough that when it happens we can help.
I have seen the "rehabilitation" places in which young guys like this spend months - they are awful and not just because of what they mean about someone's future.

Norths have set up an account into which donations may be made. I urge all to help.
http://www.northsrugby.com.au/news/donations-for-seti-tafua-611480.html

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
didnt occur to me to search articles before starting a thread - still, a thread might keep it in people's minds: there but for the grace of god/imaginary friend we all go....

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Perhaps the Moderators/administrators could merge the two threads into one.

Bloody awful thing to happen. The Jarse boys have had a variety of injuries throughout their career. Any one of them could so easily have ended up like this.

Will the the ARU insurance policy kick in anything worthwhile?

Last time I read it, and was involved with the rehabilitation of one of our clubs injured players, the policy was more about protecting ARU rather than providing substantive benefits and compensation to the injured party. There are very high excess levels, and a ton of paperwork to be filled in which dissuades many players from claiming for legitimate minor injuries.

I just hope the benefits for Seti go a long way towards his ongoing treatment/rehabilitation.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Jarse,
The last time I looked at the ARU disability policy the maximum was, maybe, $50k. all registered players are covered under this group policy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The proceeds from the Hurricanes v Chiefs match tomorrow night will be donated to the Seti fund.

Huge bravo to the 'Canes administrators for this decision.

The challenge is out there for others to match.

Edit:
I'm also told Parramatta 2 Blues have done similar or took the bucket around or something very similar. Bravo to you as well.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Extract from SMH article today
The Sydney Uni-Norths game, which will be live on ABC, will raise money for Norths first-grader Seti Tafua, who was seriously injured against Warringah last month. The Waratahs, Kingsley's restaurant chain and Medina Hotels have donated more than $5500 worth of prizes for a fund-raising raffle at North Sydney Oval on Saturday.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/tahs-give-tweet-nothings-the-axe-20120718-22amv.html#ixzz211XUjwzY

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Just finished tallying up all the off season surgical and rehab bills for the Junior Jarses and was feeling a little miserable but then I remembered how lucky we really are.

Things seem to have gone a little quiet about Seti. Not too much on google, http://setitafua.com.au/ doesn't seem to have any recent news.

Does anyone know how he is going with his ongoing treatment and recovery?

http://setitafua.com.au/ have posted a tally of about $240k + raised so far. Even with another $50k from ARU insurance, it will be very tough for the poor bugger.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's good to see that Seti's rehab is going well in Auckland and now Wellington.

The dinner last year was a terrific event and raised a lot of the funds that went towards the charitable fund for Seti.

In my drunkenness I managed to purchase a signed/framed 2011 Waratahs jersey and a weekend away in Melbourne from the silent auction items. I'm not sure my credit card wanted me to 'win' both!

I understand that Norths will be doing more this year to try and raise further funds.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This from last year's North Shore Times.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...afua-walks-again/story-fngr8ih3-1226795695180

Seti Tafua has not only done the impossible, he has inspired others along the way.
Tafua was told he may never walk again, after the New Zealand rugby union player was severely injured in June 2012 playing his second-to-last game for Northern Suburbs
He fractured two cervical vertebrae but has beaten the odds, and has left a mark on those that played with and worked with him at Northern Suburbs.
Tafua returned to New Zealand last year, but it wasn't a case of out of sight out-of-mind for his north shore friends.
Northern Suburbs physiotherapist Campbell Hanson was inspired by Tafua to push himself beyond the limits, and while Tafua was pushing to walk again, Hanson was pushing to complete the world's toughest race the Hawaiian Ironman.
Neither was alone in their endeavours, and Hanson used the occasion to raise funds for the Help Seti Walk charity.
"Originally told he would never walk again after dislocating and fracturing his C5/6 vertebrae at North Sydney Oval in June 2102, Seti has made huge progress and is now walking short distances with the aid of a walking frame," Hanson wrote on his fundraising wall.
"The effort that I've put in preparing for Hawaii and what I'll go through on the day pales into insignificance compared to the task that Seti faces on a daily basis.
"Seti needs as much assistance as he can to help fund his rehab if he is to continue to make the progress he has so far. "
Hanson competed the Hawaiian Ironman Challenge with 1800 other qualifiers late last year.
"The months of training and the battles I'll face as the Hawaiian lava fields throw intense heat, humidity and ferocious winds at the athletes is nothing compared to what Seti faces for the rest of his life in his battle to walk again."
Two months ago Tafua reached his goal, when he began walking with the aid of a frame or crutches, and has regained a lot of feeling in his legs, and Hanson went on to raise over $5000 for his cause and conquered the Hawaii event.
The pair remain in contact, and Tafua expressed his gratitude to Hanson for his fundraising support.
"Thank you all so much for keeping a brother going," Seti Tafua posted on Campbell Hanson's fundraising wall.
"Campbell too much love brother, thank you so much. I'm blessed to have you in my life bro as well as you all. All the best and for the Hawaiian Iron man no doubt you will kill it up there. Nothing but love."

Status
Not open for further replies.