• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sevens Rugby at Prairiewood high

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Sevens heaven: schoolgirls try to tackle rugby stereotypes

Dominic Bossi

March 13, 2012

THE first thing the girls at Prairiewood High School in Wetherill Park do at 7am on a Monday morning is flock to the school's rugby union program in the hope of forming one of the first schoolgirls sevens teams in NSW.
While the team does not have any opponents to play, the 70 girls from years 7 to 11 will stick with the sport which is giving them greater self-confidence - and carries the prospect of competing at the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics.
Since the program began last month, the participation rate has more than doubled as the girls are flourishing in a sport traditionally dominated by men.
Advertisement: Story continues below
''Personally I love the tackling, it's so fun. You can take out your anger, but that's not the point of it,'' year 11 student Stefanie Italiano said. ''I like expressing myself through sports and I'm not exactly the most confident person, so this is a great way to boost your self esteem and a different way of expressing yourself.''
With the introduction of womens' sevens rugby in the 2016 Olympics, the growth of the game is being strongly endorsed by the Australian Rugby Union, which visited the school yesterday.
But the girls maintain their immediate priorities are to have fun and prove they can be just as good as their male counterparts.
''Mainly it's because we want to break that stereotypical barrier, so we've done that to show that we are able to do it,'' year 9 student Alice Tieu said.
The girls are being encouraged by their school, which is trying to alleviate parents' concerns about the dangers associated with the game. As sevens rugby does not pose the same ruck and maul dangers as the 15-a-side game, Prairiewood staff believe it is no more dangerous than other more typical female sports.
''Netball causes more knee and ankle injuries than any other sport, so if you play netball, you're already playing a more dangerous sport,'' coach Jarred Hodges said.
New principal Alan Maclean will continue to support the initiative and promote the safety of the sport.
''I think a lot of families and parents would feel that getting their girls involved in rugby is not what they would normally want because they see it as a men's sport,'' he said. ''I think programs like this, showing the fitness and fun side of it, is a way to alleviate some concerns.''
The only competitive game time these girls could experience this year will be in a one-off gala day, although a handful of the school's best will be eligible for a combined NSW team that will take part in the annual interstate competition on the Gold Coast.

Interesting development, there are two things I take from this

1. The olympic program is working (even under the conservative auspices of the ARU
2. This is the greatest opportunity for the spread of rugby in australia, getting based in western sydney in female sports, rather than males, theres no competition from the other football codes, and the Wallaroos are good as female role models etc.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
''Netball causes more knee and ankle injuries than any other sport, so if you play netball, you're already playing a more dangerous sport,'' coach Jarred Hodges said.

Can fully a test to this point. Have also been knock out twice on a netball court. It is not as 'safe' as people would like to think.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Perhaps its a myth, but often its mothers who don't allow their sons to play rugby. However if more girls play rugby, in time, they more be willing for their kids to play or may be more postitive about the game to their friends who have kids.

Let's come back to this post in about 15-20 years time.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Interesting development, there are two things I take from this

1. The olympic program is working (even under the conservative auspices of the ARU
2. This is the greatest opportunity for the spread of rugby in australia, getting based in western sydney in female sports, rather than males, theres no competition from the other football codes, and the Wallaroos are good as female role models etc.

Mixed emotions. Happy to see more girls involved & at this age group I believe 7's is a good format (prefer 10's though, give the bigger girls a chance please) but as I've said in the "womens rugby thread" elsewhere that 15's needs to be encouraged to these girls as they get older. 15's will give them a better range of skills IMO & of course the simple fact that 15's is the superior version of the game.

I started playing full 15's Rugby in year 11 for club & school, my weight was in the early 50's kg mark, I had to tackle players twice my size. Only through 15's was I able to get this skill. You just don't develop this playing 7's IMO. I liked the comment from the 7's girl that she loved tacking - hopefully she'll end up in club 15's where she'll get plenty more.

I'm surprised about the attitudes of parents, I've seen leg bones become external whilst playing soccer & everyone seems to think its a really 'safe' sport.

It's no myth about the mothers. That's why women playing rugby is good not just for the female gender. We had a woman play for us who has two infant sons - I know what they'll be playing.

Not trying to be picky but the Wallaroos are the 15's side not the sevens.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
nonetheless, the wallaroos are a good set of role models, I try not to differentiate the versions seeing one as a lead up to the other rather (like junior soccer players playing in the olympics), look at the aloysian stallion that is Bernard Foley.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.