• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SH Nations Preparations for June Tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
SA laying down 3 separate planning camps up until early May for June Tests, 31 players in camp 1:

Heyneke names planning camp squad
12 April 2012, 14:06 SuperSport.com

Springbok coach Heyneke Meyer has named a group of players that will be attending the first planning camp in Pretoria next week.

This will be the first of three camps planned during the next two months of Vodacom Super Rugby, in preparation for the Castle Incoming Tour against England in June.

Players from the MTN Lions and Toyota Cheetahs will attend this planning camp, from 16 to 19 April. Both teams have a bye next weekend.

“I’ve been mindful of the fact that we won’t have a lot of time to prepare for England, but these sessions will greatly assist in getting the players ready for when we get together a week before the first test,” said Meyer.

“The five Vodacom Super Rugby franchises have been very accommodating in assisting us with the release of players for the various planning sessions and walk-through camps.

“We’ve planned these camps in accordance with their bye weekends during Vodacom Super Rugby and I’ve given the franchises the assurance that there won’t be any intense field training during our sessions – it will be mostly theoretical planning sessions as well as walk-through sessions of our planned plays.”

The second planning camp, from 23 to 26 April in Pretoria, will feature players from the Vodacom Bulls and The Sharks, while the third camp will take place in Cape Town with DHL Stormers players from 1 to 3 May.

“I’m planning to look quite wide at most of the eligible players from our five Vodacom Super Rugby squads when I invite players to attend our sessions – including currently injured players. The more players that are aware of how we’d like to play this year, the better for the Springboks’ preparations for a very tough season,” said Meyer.

Players invited to the first Springbok Planning Camp:

Forwards: Coenie Oosthuizen, Caylib Oosthuizen, Pat Cilliers, CJ van der Linde, WP Nel, Adriaan Strauss, Bandise Maku, Callie Visagie, Izak van der Westhuizen, Davon Raubenheimer, Franco van der Merwe, Heinrich Brüssow, Derick Minnie, Pieter Labuschagne, Ashley Johnson, Juan Smith, Josh Strauss, Philip van der Walt.

Backs: Piet van Zyl, Michael Bondesio, Johan Goosen, Elton Jantjies, Butch James, Willie le Roux, Andries Strauss, Doppies La Grange, Robert Ebersohn, Alwyn Hollenbach, Lionel Mapoe, Jaco Taute, Hennie Daniller.

Springbok Planning Camps:
16-19 April (Pretoria) – Players from MTN Lions and Toyota Cheetahs
23-26 April (Pretoria) – Players from Vodacom Bulls and The Sharks
1-3 May (Cape Town) – Players from DHL Stormers

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
From That Paper With The Rugby Stories:

The Wallabies will gather on June 4 for an informal feeling sharing session and sausage sizzle to capitalise on the extended lead time ahead of the Scotland test, before attending a photo shoot in preparation for RWC 2015. Both core and fringe players will be invited to attend the event, with fringe players willingly manning the barbeque as part of the new ARU contractual structure. They will also supply the onions, rolls and sauce.

Due to a funding shortfall, there will be no sausages.

John O'Neill spoke of his delight at the intensive preparations, praising Tony McGahan for his ability to "unite the team as one." O'Neill went on to say that "honestly, Matt Preston needs to watch his back or 'Totality' will remove the knife from Robbie Deans' back and take his job. What a man, what a man, what a man, what a mighty good man. That reminds me, 'Totality' sings like an angel. Honestly. I think he could be the next judge on the Voice."

When asked whether a sausage sizzle was the ideal preparation for two tests in four days, including one against Six Nations champions Wales, O'Neill opined that it was "ideal preparation," and that there could be "absolutely no excuses. Everything is in place for the Wallabies to be number one in the world by July. I'd stake my reputation on it. That reminds me. Did I mention that Tony cooks a mean steak? It's too bad we couldn't shoot that mad cow, Grumbles, plenty of marbling there. Maybe next year, once we're number one."

C

Cave Dweller

^lmao No sausages. Just unions rolls and sauce? Sounds like take aways from a prison kitchen lol

Why do the Stormers have their own camp?

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
^lmao No sausages. Just unions rolls and sauce? Sounds like take aways from a prison kitchen lol

Why do the Stormers have their own camp?

Purely logistical. Look at the timing of the camps, each of the teams will have their 'planning' session in their bye week.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'm sure many of you know that Warren Gatland managed to break both his ankles while at home in New Zealand. This has cast doubt on whether he will be able to take charge of Wales on their tour of Australia. Rob Howley is waiting in the wings to take over if needed. Full story in the link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17697678

C

Cave Dweller

I found this. Maybe PB knows more about this

SARU closes in on coaching team

21188.2.jpg

Could Victor Matfield make a sensational comeback to the Springboks?

The South African Rugby Union has confirmed that they have been given permission to approach four of the Bulls' coaches with a view to them joining Heyneke Meyer's backroom staff in the national side.

It is expected that the SARU will announce the structure of Meyer's coaching set-up imminently with a press conference due to be held on Sunday with an update on the situation. Supersport reports that the four coaches in Meyer's sights are forwards coach Johan van Graan, fitness coach Basil Carzis, defence coach John McFarland and backs coach Ricardo Loubscher. News24.com claims that the Bulls will receive in the region of R1.5m (£120k) in compensation.

South Africa are set to play a three-Test series against England in June and time is running out for the SARU to assemble their coaching team ahead of Stuart Lancaster's team's visit. If the SARU manage to secure the quartet of coaches then it will leave the Bulls with a hugely depleted team in the middle of the 2012 Super Rugby season.

And other reports coming from South Africa suggest that Meyer wants now retired lock Victor Matfield to pull on his boots again and captain the side against England this summer. Matfield is currently working for South African television but Rapport claims that Meyer is keen on convincing the veteran lock into a sensational comeback.
http://www.espnscrum.com/southafrica/rugby/story/162796.html

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The rumor, as is often the case, has been started by Keo. ESPNscum is hardly a reliable rugby source.

All Meyer said is that he is going to look to pick experience against England and won't discount bringing people out of retirement. I think there is a way better chance of him bringing back Fourie du Preez who is only 29. In fact I would put money on it.

Matfield would make no sense. His body was fucked by the end of last year and he all but said that he could not continue even if he wanted to.

Keo starts silly rumors to get people to his blog.

I will eat a big hat if I am wrong but I would not expect to see Matfield again other than coaching restarts and lineouts.

We have some great second rowers coming through. Time to move on.

Etsebeth and Bekker starts, Juandre Kruger off the bench. We still have Flip vd Merwe, and George Earl is playing great rugby. Matfield would just be silly.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Reckon Matfield would make an awsome addition to Meyer's coaching team. The amount of knowledge that man has in his head regarding lineouts is scary, and the knowledge that he has of oposition lineouts and how to decode them is down right wrong. Wonder if Dingo has thought of an approach?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Reckon Matfield would make an awsome addition to Meyer's coaching team. The amount of knowledge that man has in his head regarding lineouts is scary, and the knowledge that he has of oposition lineouts and how to decode them is down right wrong. Wonder if Dingo has thought of an approach?
Matfield will be part of the coaching team as a lineout and restart consultant which is great but this idea that he will come out of retirement is silly.

Meyer is very close to Matfield and Fourie du Preez. Both will definitely be involved in some way but I hope it's only du Preez that will play.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Matfield will be part of the coaching team as a lineout and restart consultant which is great but this idea that he will come out of retirement is silly.

Meyer is very close to Matfield and Fourie du Preez. Both will definitely be involved in some way but I hope it's only du Preez that will play.

What are your thoughts on the selection of du Preez Blue? Do you not think that he might be a little bit under-cooked coming into the June Tests having played his last game in Japan on 18th March? What about form wise? It is no secret that he hasn't really come anywhere close to his best form since he returned from his shoulder operation. The few reports that came out of Japan suggested his form was good, but is this competition an accurate gauge?

There hasn't really been a 9 in super rugby this year who has been banging the door down in terms of Bok selection. Hougaard is definitely the best we have, but I'm not convinced that he is suited to the 'du Preez game plan' of box/tactical kicking. I do feel that he should be given a decent opportunity though. I guess it depends what game plan Meyer will be looking to play.

Of the 9's on display this year, I think the pecking order would be Hougaard, Duvenage, McLeod. Thoughts?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Well on current visible form the best SA scrummie to suit what will no doubt be a traditional game plan is Ruan Pienaar. He is playing better rugby for Ulster than I have ever seen him play and the NH style of game is the best testing ground for that kind of rugby. The Heineken Cup and Pro12 this year have been very physical and Pienaar has excelled.

But Meyer is a du Preez man. We can assume Fourie would be rusty but he struggled last year because he was rushed back from two consecutive shoulder ops. Sounds like physically he is 100%. Would I back giving him a go to see if he can recover vintage form? Definitely and precisely for the reasons you suggest. If ever there was a player where "class is permanent" rings true, it's this bloke. And he is not too old yet. Imagine a fit, sharp du Preez behind the big physical, athletic forwards we have to choose from? It's damn well worth a go. Let Fourie play Vodacom Cup if Heyneke wants to bring him back. We will fidn out sooner rather than later anyway.

Hougaard is great but to me not a test scrummie in a bok jersey. I would pen his name on one wing without hesitation though and you have the luxury of not being force to pick a scrummie on the bench.

Du Preez and Pienaar for me, in that order.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
As we are discussing test prep, Brisbok what would your 22 look like if you had to pick them today?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Apropos this thread, as a Wallaby supporter it is rather concerning to me that we have seen zero announcements wrt Aus/Wallaby preparations for the June Tests expect that RD expects to pick his v Scotland squad from the Reds and Force given their preceding week S15 bye. And leaks to Growden that he's interested in Cooper Vuna as Wallaby entrant.

SA has a new coach, so some issues with getting him in place and his assistants selected are to be expected. NZ's coaching team is clear.

Here in Aus we have little but media leaks and personal pronouncements from the potential (unconfirmed) new Wallaby assistant coaches. As of today, Deans has zero ARU-confirmed assistant coaches in any department so as yet we don't know what coaching set up will be present and when wrt creating and training any form of Wallaby squad for the June Tests.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
As we are discussing test prep, Brisbok what would your 22 look like if you had to pick them today?

That's an interesting one Blue and depends largely on what Meyer's policy of selecting players currently playing overseas (and the extent of this). Assuming Meyer has no problem selecting a number of players from o/s, my team would look something like:

1 - Greyling
2 - Bismarck
3 - Jannie du Plessis
4 - Etzebeth
5 - Bekker
6 - Brussouw
7 - Schalk (c)
8 - Spies
9 - du Preez
10 - M. Steyn
11 - Habana
12 - de Villiers
13 - Fourie
14 - Hougaard
15 - Lambie
16 - Adriaan Strauss
17 - Kitshoff
18 - Werner Kruger
19 - Juandre Kruger
20 - Alberts
21 - Pienaar
22 - F. Steyn*

* I think F. Steyn will challenge de Villiers for 12, but I'd like to see him play there consistently (perhaps for the Sharks?) and de Villiers has been playing well for the Stormers (I must confess that I do not have the opportunity to watch any Top 14 or Heineken Cup rugby, so I have no idea what kind of form Frans is in). I'd like to see Lambie at 10, but I'm not sure he is ready to be a test 10 just yet, but still feel he has to be in the team. Similarly with Goosen, I don't think he is ready for test rugby yet, but I would definitely have him in and around the squad.

The combination in the backs is quite difficult actually. What condition is Jaque Fourie going to be in? de Jongh is an adequate replacement if Meyer wants to limit is o/s selections. Tough on JP Pietersen to miss out on the 22. Is his switch to 13 at the Sharks helping him or hindering him when it comes to test selection? Other than CJ van der Linde, do we have another prop who can play THP and LHP so that we can free up a bench spot by selecting one prop only? I don't think we do.

Players unfortunate to miss out but should be in the greater squad:

Chilliboy, Flip vd Merwe, Vermuelen, Goosen, Joe Pietersen

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Good team. Won't cry if he chose that. He has to go with experience. One week to prepare for England is a joke.

Prop's a worry.

LHP:
Coenie - too loose. Needs another season to work on scrummaging. Got his arse hand to him by the Chiefs this weekend. Big time. Fuck the goose step son. Scrum.
Greyling - also a lot of q's over his scrummaging.
Kitshoff - Barely hung on against Franks this weekend. What is encouraging is that he got better as the match wore on. I though he was going to get killed in the second half. He is the future but not for the Poms.

Much of a muchness scrumming wise but I fear Dan Cole will dominate all three no problem which is a BIG worry. Cole is a monster.

CJ fuck no. But I fear he will make it as reserve. Someone needs to really step up and scrum both sides.

THP - Jannie only because nobody has stood up. Kruger is the best of an average bunch. Malherbe looks the goods but I think it's a year to early for him. Very exciting prospect though. My find of the year so far. A prop. How good is that!!!!????

Back row. Before the Season started I was hoping to never see Spies again but he has been excellent. I am still a big Vermeulen fan but it's not goign to happen.

I saw Frans in two games this year only. One shortly after his return from injury and one about three weeks ago where he looked good. Scored a lenght of field try, was running freely and dintl look as out of shape as at the end of last season. I think he looked fine. He just steps up when he playes in Green. I'd play him at 15 but he is our long term 12. Like you say, JdV is playing so well he has to start.

M Steyn will start at 10. W#hat to do with Lambie and Goosen? Only place for one and Lambie is more expriences and more versatile so it's him.

Jacques Fourie? Not so sure. Juan de Jongh will do me and even JP at a push playing 13. Sadie has been held back through injury.

The rest is pretty straight forward. It will take a mammoth effort from anyone else to play themselves into the reckoning for England and time is running out.

Pienaar def on bench.

Oh. Heyneke is a Chilliboy fan but I would feel pissed for Strauss. What a player and a leader.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Why would you pick guys like du Preez and Fourie if they're playing in Japan? This would get others thinking they could go to Japan and continue to play international rugby where as the opposite would certainly be a deterrent in going overseas..

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Why would you pick guys like du Preez and Fourie if they're playing in Japan? This would get others thinking they could go to Japan and continue to play international rugby where as the opposite would certainly be a deterrent in going overseas..

I agree with you Qwerty, there has to be some incentive to keep the players in South Africa where their salaries will be significantly lower than what they could earn overseas. However, you may have noticed in the last couple of years the the Boks have been selecting some players playing overseas eg. Frans Steyn, Ruan Pienaar, BJ Botha etc.

I believe there is enough talent in SA to not have to select any players playing overseas. I am hoping that Meyer is mainly considering selecting these 'experienced' players for the June tests because he literally has no time to prepare his team and perhaps it will be easier to select players with experience rather than throwing new players in at the deep end without adequate preparation time.

Status
Not open for further replies.