• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

should QLD & NSW have a proper State of Origin

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

just thinking about the QLD - NSW match, hardly a state of origin since its to whichever team the player is signed..

If QLD and NSW could pick players from across Australia for a proper Rugby Union State of Origin match, what would the teams look like.

QLD:

1. Holmes
2. Moore
3. ?
4. Horwill
5. McMenimen
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. Brown
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Hynes
12. Barnes
13. ?
14. Ioane
15. Mitchell

R

Rugby Rat

I am sure that a tri series with the ACT is the better option. Loved watching on ABC Qld belt NSW in the early 90's up in Mackay. Have one favourite on VHS. The Reds belted the Tahs, put points in them at ease and then belted them again.Made me feel sorry for the NSW players such was the beating.

Just total Brutal dominant rugby.

T

TOCC

if NSW and QLD do arrange the extra match against each other in July, maybe they should try and negotiate to have it on FTA, probably a bit to congested at the time with NRL and AFL though

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Back in the 90s they used to play a "State of the Union" after the Super 8s/10s/12s/whatever series, but really it was only Queensland v NSW, minus the Wallabies from both teams.

I remember watching one of them in the late 90s and Steve Kefu was at 12 for Queensland with Horan on Wallaby duty. S. Kefu would've been 19 or 20 then, and he ripped a new asshole into the NSW defence and showed a whole bag of tricks - flick pass, cut out, dummy, chip and regather, running back on an angle into a hole. One of the most creative 12 performances. I still maintain the Queensland coaches of the time removed that from Steve's game. The dross Steve turned out a few years later was in total contrast to the player he was a few years earlier.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Would just be a possibles (QLD) vs Probables (NSW) match like the Kiwis have. Great for future generations as it gives a whole bunch of kids the opportunity to say my dad/pa/pop/great grandfather was a Wallaby trialist.

F

formeropenside

Just play a normal match, but tell the players there will be no citings and what happens on the field stays on the field. And allow rucking.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
A NSW side , light on locks

1 Robinson
2 Nau
3 Baxter
4 Sitaleki Timani
5 Humphries
6 Mumm
7 Smith
8 Palu
9 Burgess
10 Beale
11 Turner
12 Tahu
13 Cross
14 Shepherd
15 SNK

F

formeropenside

fatprop said:
A NSW side , light on locks

1 Robinson
2 Nau
3 Baxter
4 Sitaleki Timani
5 Humphries
6 Mumm
7 Smith
8 Palu
9 Burgess
10 Beale
11 Turner
12 Tahu
13 Cross
14 Shepherd
15 SNK

SNK is a gold coast boy, learned his rugby at The Southport School. And why do you get Van, when he played his rugby in Qld?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
formeropenside said:
SNK is a Gold Coast boy, learned his rugby at The Southport School. And why do you get Van, when he played his rugby in Qld?

SNK: born in Canberra, started his schooling there and finished up at All Saints Anglican School on the GC, not TSS. Comes from the Harden Norton-Knights who've been on the land there for generations. I played against his father and uncle at both school and club level. Blue through and through.

Van: New South Wales-born (Moree) and played most of his successful rugby here.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
and there in lays the problem. What determines who plays where? So I have worked my way into Monday morning to making teams based on where the players are born. So the teams are QLD, NSW, Rest of Australia, Rest of World.

Unfortunately the Force don't have place of birth details, for obvious reasons, so I had to guess most of those.

QLD:

15 Drew Mitchell
14 Peter Hynes
13 Nick Cummins
12 Berrick Barnes [vc]
11 Rodney Davies
10 Ben Lucas
9 James Stannard
8 Ben Mowen
7 Richard Brown
6 Hugh McMeniman
5 Mark Chisolm
4 James Horwill [c]
3 Greg Holmes
2 Sean Hardman
1 Tai McIsaacs

16 James Hanson
18 Ezra Taylor
19 Scott Higginbotham
21 Gene Fairbanks
22 Blair Connor

- ahhh, not great. Props really struggling. Pulenty of locks/blindsides.

NSW:

15 Mark Gerrard
14 Lachlan Turner
13 Ryan Cross
12 Stirling Mortlcok [c]
11 Adam Ashley-Cooper
10 Matt Giteau
9 Luke Burgess
8 Wycliffe Palu
7 George Smith
6 Phil Waugh [vc]
5 Nathan Sharpe
4 Van Humphreys
3 Sekope Kepu
2 Tatafu Polata Nau
1 Benn Robinson

16 Adam Freier
17 Ben Alexander
18 Will Caldwell
19 Stephen Hoiles
20 Josh Valentine
21 Kurtley Beale
22 Rob Horne

- and many a good player misses out.

Rest of Oz:

15 Sam Norton-Knight
14 Peter Betham
13 Timana Tahu
12 Anthony Fainga'a
11 Mark McLinden
10 Matt To'omua
9 Brett Sheehan [c]
8 Julian Salvi
7 Beau Robinson
6 Peter Kimlin
5 Chris Thomson
3 Al Baxter [vc]
2 Saia Fainga'a
1 Jack Kennedy

17 Kieran Longbottom

- sorry, including Queenbeyan in ACT which is a stretch.

Rest of World:

15 Cameron Shepherd
14 Clyde Rathbone
13 Digby Ione
12 James O'Connor
11 Lote Tuqiri
10 Quade Cooper
9 Will Genia
8 Leroy Houston
7 David Pocock [c]
6 Tamaiti Horua
5 Dean Mumm
4 Sitaleki Timani
3 Guy Shepherdson
2 Stephen Moore [vc]
1 Matt Dunning

16 Huia Edmonds
17 Dayna Edwards
19 Poutasi Luafutu
20 Christian Lealiifano
21 Scott Daruda
22 Alfi Mafi

In the end Sydney would run over the Rest of the World in the final, although its a handy ROW pack!

R

Rugby Rat

formeropenside said:
Just play a normal match, but tell the players there will be no citings and what happens on the field stays on the field. And allow rucking.
I like your thinking. Best post ever.

F

formeropenside

Lindommer said:
formeropenside said:
SNK is a Gold Coast boy, learned his rugby at The Southport School. And why do you get Van, when he played his rugby in Qld?

SNK: born in Canberra, started his schooling there and finished up at All Saints Anglican School on the GC, not TSS. Comes from the Harden Norton-Knights who've been on the land there for generations. I played against his father and uncle at both school and club level. Blue through and through.

Van: New South Wales-born (Moree) and played most of his successful rugby here.

Sorry Lindommer, my bad. I think its his (less-successful) brother who was at TSS.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
according to the Brumbies...

Brumbies_Territory1.jpg

R

Rugby Rat

Baxter would "own" a few under the no citings/rucking rules.

Red Bull

Allen Oxlade (6)
Noddy said:
NSW:

5 Nathan Sharpe

great, they can have the lumbering seagull.

I think FOS's idea rocks. The players would need a few weeks to recover though, being the big toetouchers they are these days. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.