• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Re: 2009 Shute Shield

clearly uni are allowed to just dive of there feet and get away with lying on the ball. they really should have been a binned/pen try against them.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)

louie said:
clearly uni are allowed to just dive of there feet and get away with lying on the ball. they really should have been a binned/pen try against them.

Yep, they do take the piss. And how often has Phil Waugh been coming in on the side ?

Uni 13-5 HT
Uni 37-13 FT

If Eastwood had Halangahu instead of the leaden Foote, it would have been a lot closer. Uni's defence very good and the Woodies were stumped in attack (I can do this all day).

Randwick and Gordon play tomorrow for the honour of losing to Uni in the final next week.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)

Just because a team is physical at contact doesn't mean their not cheating at the breakdown.

is it just me or sydney uni not as good this year?

NSW have a winner with Damien Fitzpatrick. Is Hugh Perrett contracted to any S14? Should be i like the look of him.

R

rugbywhisperer

perhaps as my mate at 15manrugby eschews, the Qld people need to look afield. There are many in the Sydney comp that would and could make an impact in the reds lineup. yesterdays and today's game showcased plenty of them. Something is very wrong when the Reds and Wallabies are so bereft of talent yet our club heartland has players screaming out for a go yet get overlooked for some schoolboy who had a great marketing program but who's play is without substance.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)

louie said:
any news on who won?

Unfortunately Randwick beat Gordon in the 1st grade (although the result was reversed in 2nd grade). Gordon just couldnt match the intensity that they gave last week and made a number of silly errors. having said that, Randwick werent that much better. Ratu was pretty ordinary and got subbed off early in the second half. And who do you think replaced him? Only Drew Mitchell. How the fuck did he have enough gas in the tank after representing his country a few hours earlier and then flying for 3 plus hours. Probably says a great deal about why we lost last night. You would have hoped that all the Wallabies were so tired/knackered/aching/hurting that it was all they could do to get on the plane, not rock up and play for their club. And what hurts even more was that Drew played very well.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)

Forgot to mention that Dingo was also at the game. Maybe seeking out a new coaching position :) Must have pissed him to see Mitchell play well!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Randwick score half century to book Grand Final rematch

» Back to News Listing

Sunday, 20 September 2009
NSWRU Media Unit
The 2009 Tooheys New Shute Shield Grand Final will be a rematch of last year's decider with Randwick defeating Gordon 53-32 at Woollahra Oval in today's Preliminary Final.

Having enjoyed a week off after finishing second on the ladder after the regular season, Randwick led for all but four minutes of the match in the six tries to four victory which saw more than a point per minute, including 61 in the second half.

Gordon had their opportunities, however whenever they got within striking distance Randwick stepped it up another gear with international replacements Drew Mitchell and Adam Freier causing havoc in the second half.

The Highlanders opened the scoring in the second minute through a Dave Harvey penalty, however they didn't follow Francis Fainifo come in from his wing shortly after with the Brumbies wing hitting a hole and racing 40m to score without a hand laid on him.

Two drop goals to Tim Walsh and a second penalty to Harvey saw Randwick out to a 13-6 lead, however when a cross-field kick bounced well for Matt McDougall the Gordon wing ran 35m to score in the right corner to close the margin to two.

Marshall Milroy piloted a penalty to open up a five-point buffer, and then seven minutes from half-time Fainifo was in for his second to help Randwick to a 21-11 lead at the break.

Randwick quickly opened up a 20-point lead following a try, conversion and penalty to Milroy in the opening ten minutes of the second half, however Gordon closed the gap yet again when Mark Preston crashed over next to the posts.

With the match in the balance, Brumbies flanker Henry Vanderglas carried defenders over the line for a converted try in the 65th minute, before a Dane Haylett-Petty intercept try in the 70th brought the margin back within two converted tries.

Two minutes later Walsh kicked his third drop goal of the day to establish a 41-25 lead, but Gordon again hit back immediately with replacement flanker Chris Alcock touching down under the posts with seven minutes remaining.

Gordon were willing to try their hand, however Randwick ran in two late tries to Brumbies Shaun Foley and Stephen Hoiles to bring up a half century in the 53-32 result.

The victory sees Randwick progress to next Sunday's Tooheys New Shute Shield Grand Final against Sydney University at the Sydney Football Stadium.

Second Preliminary Final
Randwick 53 (Francis Fainifo 2, Marshall Milroy, Henry Vanderglas, Shaun Foley, Stephen Hoiles tries; Marshall Milroy 3 cons, 2 pens, Tim Walsh 3 drop, con) d Gordon 32 (Matt McDougall, Mark Preston, Dane Haylett-Petty, Chris Alcock tries; Dave Harvey 3 cons, 2 pens) at Woollahra Oval. Referee: Stuart Dickinson. HT: Randwick 21-11.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)

Geez, I feel for Gordon, they deserve better than to be belted in the semi's. Hard to believe they'd give up 50 points given the quality of their defence throughout the season.

Er, is Tim Walsh the next Frans Steyn ?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

I doubt it naz. Geez he was one of the worst players ever to play Super rugby, but at club level he does OK.

That was another dominant display by Uni. They have a terrific team across the board and were it not for their short arsed 2nd row they could probably give a bit of cheek to the lower Super14 teams provided they were all full time and had been for a while. From 4 to 8 they have 5 virtual backrowers; so they weren't far off the ball and they are hard men too.

It was good to see winger Pete Betham play a bit of rugby. He was a fine schools player who I thought would make it in the Super 14 but he was just one of those young guys who got injury too early to prove himself. Another youngster in the same 2006 Oz Schools team as Pete, Ben McCalman, is continuing his good form. I see they're listing him as 107kgs. He is young enough to get to 110kgs in a couple of years of gym work at the Force, though he will lose a bit initially. That's a good weight for a no. 8, which will be his best position in pro rugby.

Also in that Schools team was Uni THP Pat Ryan, though he played on the other side at school. He could be a possibility for the Melbourne squad or at least their pro Academy. Then hooker Nathan Charles from the 2006 team came off the bench. He's having trouble dislodging Roberts from the Uni 1st Grade side, which surprises me but maybe he is not as good as I think he is.

On the Eastwood team I saw 18 y.o. Cameron Mitchell, the Oz Schools captain last year, for the first time in 1st grade. I spoke to him at the Rats v Gordon game last week, as he was watching his mates in the 2nd Grade elimination game. He hadn't played much in 2009 because of injury but was playing the following day at Forshaw in his first 1st Grade game. I was hoping that they would win so I could see him play against Uni on TV and so it proved. He looked OK on the wing though his real position is outside centre. He's in the Junior Waratahs already; so watch this space.

People watching the game would be able to see why I described the 2007 Oz Schools captain Damien Fitzpatrick as a Keith Wood type hooker. It doesn't mean a lot in a club game but I am confident that he will be able to take his type of play to the professional level. With all his expansive play Wood was as hard as nails when it mattered and Fitzy looks the same so far.

Not many people will be giving Randwick much of a chance next week but when they play well they are tough. They don't have the names that the Uni team has but if they are in the face of the Uni players, both in tight and out wide, they are a chance. They tend to throw a few crook passes; so they will have to get accurate to have a chance against the students. Big Rat will have to run over a few folks also - provided, of course, that he catches the ball first and doesn't chip kick it.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)

Lee Grant said:
I doubt it naz. Geez he was one of the worst players ever to play Super rugby, but at club level he does OK.

really? who'd he play for?

Really agree with you about Damien Fitzpatrick. i really impressed with him yesterday. he'll be lethal of the bench for the tahs.

question Lee,
clearly Damien Hill is insane at building unstoppable teams. why wasn't he given the tahs job?

M

Mole

Good report Lee,

Great updates on those oz schools players you have seen the last few yrs that have graduated to club land.

I beleive Pat Ryan has signed a pro academy deal at the tahs, McCallman had an average day at the office yesterday but has a future in this country, could he be a bolter for the spring tour? Young Mitch Inman goes from strength to strength too. Didnt feature in any schools rugby at a national level that i can remember but is forming a potent combination with halangahu and carter inside of him. Off to the force for 2010. Fitzpatrick is a real goer. Agree with you Lee. Scored a try that prob only he could have scored yesterday. Has a real future. as for Bennetts and Mitchell, Both i have not seen enough of but are both willing. Need another 12-18 months development.

Got down to watch Wicks v Gordon this afternoon. Full credit to Gordon, thought they played out of their skins, They were up for the challenge. great contest at the breakdown and were a bit unlucky thay did not posses a couple of more strike weapons in their backline. The wicks had way too much fire power out wide. Couple of blokes that stood out for me this afternoon were no 7 from Randwick, Not sure of his name, Lee i am sure you could help me out, have a feeling he played some oz 20s this yr and may be in the brumbies academy. Was the wicks go to man in the pack with ball in hand, and great over the ball. Centre Foley has definately improved since coming back to the 15man game over the season, His ball carries and defence were first class. Def worthy of a super 14 squad spot. Frankie Fainifo has some wheels dosent he!!! Hopefully he stays fit next yr, could be a real bolter in oz rugby circles. Big fast, loves contact and seems a bit of a character. He scored two and looked a real danger. Mitchell showed his class when he came on, Slick and quick.

For gordon. Big Ofa did some great work in tight, ran out of juice a bit, but if the bloke gets fit and strong a real asset i believe. McDougall on the right wing has some wheels and natural game sense. A bloke that caught my eye in the second grade fixture was Dan Robinson at no9. Beau Robinson ex-waratahs little brother. Was a real live wire as a schoolboy and has had a rotten run with injuries. Was the catalyst for some great things in the twos game.

Next weeks grandfinals at the sfs should be a great day all round. Uni v Randwick will be a hell of a game. Uni seem the well oiled machine but Randwick with Foley, Mitchell, Fainifo, Cummins, Ratu and Milroy posess a frightening backline that could pile on the points.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)

louie said:
Lee Grant said:

really? who'd he play for?

Really agree with you about Damien Fitzpatrick. i really impressed with him yesterday. he'll be lethal of the bench for the tahs.

question Lee,
clearly Damien Hill is insane at building unstoppable teams. why wasn't he given the tahs job?

I was referring to Walsh's 3 drop goals.

Uni's had a number of coaches over the past few years, I'd suggest Ross Reynolds led the turnaround. If anything, Uni's success is due to their strength and conditioning program.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

louie

Walsh played for the Reds about 5 years ago when they had flyhalf of the week. Flatley and Huxley were both injured and so were Todd Feather and Tim Walsh who were brought in - I forget in what order. I remember Feather as being half-way decent. He was a Kiwi resident in WA IIRR. Dunno what happened after the 4th one got hurt - maybe one of the first guys got fit again.

Walsh is literally a journeyman as he has played in NZ and in couple of Brit clubs.

Damien Hill - the Uni guys look well coached but most of the well known Sydney coaches would probably have them winning too. It's hard to say how good a coach he is. There is most likely a lot of reasons for their success but one of them would have to be in the quality of players that they attract. Getting a Uni place when exam scores don't warrant it is said to be a big incentive, as is having Uni fees paid for, but playing for a successful team would also have its attractions.

Hugh Perrett? He's a top club player but he's in his later 20's now and his time for Super rugby may have passed. He's one of the players I thought may have been picked up by the Force when they came on board as he was playing in England in the backrow and at 12. As one of the commentators mentioned: he may give the impression that he doesn't play like a brute and that he may be cursed by versatility.

Mole

Didn't know that Ryan was in the Tahs stable. He'd be useful as he can on both sides of the scrum. Mitch Inman looks like a clone of elder brother Luke and like him should be playing 12, not 13. Yeah it was hard for him to get into the Oz Schools Ones from the NSW Twos in 2007, though he made the Oz A team. Robbie Horne was the gun NSW inside centre that year and I still reckon that it's his best spot.

That Randwick no 7 is Seilala Lam who was an St.Eddies boy and by coincidence was also in that 2006 Oz Schools team with Ryan, McCalman, Betham and Charles. Captain Beale and Cooper were in it too and Robbie Horne, who still had a year of school to go, was on the bench. Oz Schools used two fetchers that year (the other one was Rodney Ma'a) and I remember them being on the ball all day; but unless you saw their jersey numbers, you couldn't tell them apart.

Lam is one of the good young 7s running around in Sydney club rugby, and Latunipulu is another. Both are Tomiki types and the kind of youngsters that a Melbourne team should be looking at as backups.

Yeah Randwick have some good backs and guys like Orbell and Milroy are hardly household names but are fine footie players. Milroy returned to Brisbane recently but Randwick think enough of him to fly him back down every Thursday. In the forwards they also have unfashionable players like 2nd rowers Tim Maxwell and Steve Brennan who don't take a backward step and will steal a bit of Uni lineout ball methinks. They aren't as mobile as the Uni guys Dennis and McCalman, but LHP Kepu helps out in that department.

Yeah Cameron Mitchell is pretty slick and I hope he is healthy next year. He and his Eastwood team mate Tim Bennetts comprised the midfield in that almost famous Eastwood district junior team a few years ago IIRR.

It's funny how the rugby world turns: in 2007 when he was in Yr. 11 Bennetts had to play wing for the NSW Ones because Horne and Mitchell were picked as the centres. He was injured most of 2008 and didn't play in the national tournament, but they picked him in the Oz A team anyway. This year it is Mitchell who has been crocked and Bennetts the regular 1st Grade no. 13. Now that Mitchell is healthy it is he that is shoved onto the wing by Eastwood. Well, I thought it was funny.

naz

Yeah I knew were talking about the drop goals but I digressed.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

Sydney grand finals on Sunday at the SFS. The mighty Pirates fourths take on Randwick at 10:00am. Anyone else going?

Oh, we can stay to see Uni play Randwick in first grade at 3:00pm if you like.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)

Lindommer said:
Sydney grand finals on Sunday at the SFS. The mighty Pirates fourths take on Randwick at 10:00am. Anyone else going?

Oh, we can stay to see Uni play Randwick in first grade at 3:00pm if you like.

Whilst I am sure the $th and 1st grade games will be mildly entertaining, the true action will of course be in 3rd and 2nd grades as the mighty Gordon serve it up!

I'll be there with Mrs Riddler and a couple of other masochist Tah's season ticket holders. For those that cant make it and are banished from the TV on a Sunday arvo, dont forget the Ruggamatrix/ClubRugby boys will be broadcasting all four games live on their podcast service with heaps of special guests.

Status
Not open for further replies.