• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2010

Who will you be supporting in the 2010 Shute Shield?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
gee08 said:
Chairman Alan Hyam said at the start of last year there was supposed to be ``a gentleman's agreement'' that other clubs wouldn't target their players.

Oh come now chaps - don't y'know that in rugby a "gentleman's agreement" is to say "please sir, can I have some more?" to the head boy as he's busy buggering you with gusto. ;)

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Lindommer,

Just had a look through the Wests teams, looking at that club if you keep them around for a while longer could go places some good quality in that 3rd grade side...

Sio, Afu(IIRC he was the huge lad who could bulldoze a few first grade sides last season), Volavola, Spitz

Then you have Hannam, Ferris, Mafi in 1's/2's 6 or 7 grade players who could be playing colts....

There is a bit more money I am assuming round West Harbour these days? It's good to see them doing well though...

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
AD, we've never considered money the raison d'etre for playing rugby at the Pirates. Yes, there's a bit of moolah about, enough to pay our bills in a timely fashion. The local on-arm banditry (Burwood RSL) is our main sponsor after buying the club's premises in George Street, Burwood some 10 years ago. But West Harbour have an outstanding committee who emphasise commitment to club and team before self. The club can offer some career development to young lads but these are retained for players who are already at the club. In (extremely) rare cases a package is put together for a player who indicates he wants to join the Pirates.

The Pirates won't be pushovers in any grade against any team this year.

gone

Ted Fahey (11)
Lindommer – do you see the Norths – West Harbour game at all? That result really surprised me…

Very very sad to see that Parramatta result – we can only hope they get a few more players down there and limit the damage each week.

As for Gordon – Souths. Souths played very well and deserved their win. Their backline was very dangerous particularly from turnovers. Up front they dominated until late in the game when Dan Palmer was red carded.

Gordon on the other hand were very disappointing, the tight 5 really didn’t show up. Disappointed for Jared Barry as he got injured about 3 minutes in when he finally had a shot at securing a spot in first grade. Hercus was poor in both attack and defense – I am unsure whether you can carry both him and Harvey in the same team given both players do good impressions of turnstiles.

Was good to see Dud Roodt patrolling the sideline, round 4 will be the earliest we see him back. Look out for Ben Perriera, former Otago B prop who had a blinder in 2nd grade – he dominated at scrum time and showed some good toe in a 50m run with a draw and pass of the fullback to set up a try. Should be in first grade next week

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
thatguy said:
Lindommer – do you see the Norths–West Harbour game at all? That result really surprised me…

Bloody surprised me, too. I didn't see the game, my young bloke's in WH Colts so I'm always at the other ground. The three WH Colts have won 6 out of 6 to date, all with a bonus point.

We've always seen ourselves in that band of clubs just below Uni/Randwick/Easts. They have so much money and attract a disproportinate amount of talent compared to Manly/Rats/Gordon/Norths/Eastwood/Pirates. The last few years we've beefed up our organisation (our first grade coach is a full-time employee) with an outstanding committee and this year the club pinched the West Tigers' strength & conditioning coach in a serious attempt to improve overall fitness. There've been a large group of talented youngsters join us from country NSW and King's (due to Steve James's involvement there) and, I'm ashamed to say, Parramatta. The Parra boys came to us, not one approach was made to them by anyone at West Harbour. But, most importantly, WH have retained a large proportion of Wests Juniors moving up into colts, including all the good ones.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
thatguy said:
Disappointed for Jared Barry as he got injured about 3 minutes in when he finally had a shot at securing a spot in first grade. Hercus was poor in both attack and defense – I am unsure whether you can carry both him and Harvey in the same team given both players do good impressions of turnstiles.

What's happened to Jared? Serious injury?

Do you think Hercus' performance was an aberration, first games nerves, getting used to the team, players, pace etc? Or has it just lost it and not up to it any more?

gone

Ted Fahey (11)
TheRiddler said:
What's happened to Jared? Serious injury?

Do you think Hercus' performance was an aberration, first games nerves, getting used to the team, players, pace etc? Or has it just lost it and not up to it any more?

Looked like a fairly serious shoulder injury - could be an extended break.

To be fair to Hercus he was getting some scrappy ball and Souths did push up very hard on him for most of the game. There wasn’t much he could do but shovel it on. I would be tempted to put a better ball runner than Josh Kiel in at 12 to help out if this happens in the future.

Missed quite a few tackles on defence including one which led directly to a try.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Not a good weekend for Gordon. Not only did the 1sts get done by Souths but yesterday the Wrinkled Rats from Warringah might just have scored a couple more tries than the Stags - not that anyone was keeping the score of course with it being Golden Oldies.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Had dinner with a bloke that played for Norths and they were thrilled with the win. They had been forced to bring up a few colts players and he said it was those colts players that won the game for Norths. I think they were slightly surprised because they thought Wests were the form team of the pre season and didnt think they would have the experience to pull a win off.

He also mentioned that St Pats in the subbies comp had tried to poach one of their players by offering him 12K. That is an amazing amount of money for a subbies team to offer and makes me hate them even more (I broke two bones in the two games I played against them)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
gambler - no it isn't a lot of money. One of our props got offered $3K to go play for Merrylands in 3rd Division. He's a former Parramatta Reserve and a mountain of a chap, very handy at scrum time. There is a heap of money floating around in Subbies as players move from Penrith and Parramatta due to their disillusionment with those clubs. Due to the jungle drums we've picked up about half a dozen lower grade Penrith players.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
the gambler said:
He also mentioned that St Pats in the subbies comp had tried to poach one of their players by offering him 12K. That is an amazing amount of money for a subbies team to offer and makes me hate them even more (I broke two bones in the two games I played against them)

Is this the bloke playing on the wing and getting $600 a game?

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
12,000 dollars is a lot of money for subbies Nick. Given the vast majority of clubs, even in 1st division, don't pay anyone a cent, for a club to offer one player 12k is a bloody big investment.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Be interesting to hear St Pat's side of this story. Bit hard to believe a subbies club would pay a player $12k. No one at the Pirates gets that sort of money, apart from Rory Sidey, and his moolah comes from the Tahs.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I agree the Dirtys do pay players, Nick, but I'd be surprised if it was in the realm of $12k. They pinched one of our blokes for this year but only for about $6k.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think I told this anecdote on the board last year, but what the hell.

Went to a Souths NRL game in a corporate box (gf's work, and geez that stadium is awful with 5k people in it), and one of the guys serving food was a student at Sydney Uni who had two paying jobs whilst he studied: corporate hospitality at ANZ stadium, and rugby player.

Rugby player? For Sydney Uni? No, the guy (who said he was a former schoolboy rep) was playing colts for Sydney Uni when he first started studying at uni but then got poached by the Dirty Reds for what he implied was decent money.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
the more important question is where does it go? I mean, what does it by them? Is a premiership of any value to a subbies team? It's not as if they are getting massive media attention for it, and thus sponsorship value.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
That's like asking does a grade cricket premiership have any value? Probably not as much value money wise as a Rugby one but still people do it for the love of the club not everything is to make a return!

Status
Not open for further replies.