• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Parra season awards: first grade best and fairest tied between Adam Coleman and Damien Fakafanua. Laurie Goddard shield for first grade player of the year, Lani Tiatia. More details to come when my hangover subsides.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
In a perfect world Amauter would be Amauter and Professional would be Professional - but Australian Rugby Union out of all the top nations have struggled more than anyone with moving into the professional game.

The only answer to this whole issue is to have -

- Wallabies level
- Super Rugby
- 3rd tier/professional/semi professional
- Club Rugby

I think you could have 2 franchises out of QLD/3 out of NSW/1 from ACT/ 1 from Melb

1 of the teams being Sydney Uni or a branch off of Syndey Uni

Maybe 1 in Perth and drop one from sydney maybe but the travel would be shit and the costs fairly high - thats why I think Melb over perth - lets be honest rugby is going to be at its strongest in qld/nsw/act/vic

Have it on Channel ONE - have a Wednesday night game and Saturday games - play a repeat of wed game later at night or whenever - have a live 3pm game on Saturday - call it the Australian Rugby Championships, make it a short and sweet comp - 6-8 weeks max - BOOM DONE - GET YA BLACK AMEX OUT ARU

Rufus

Bob McCowan (2)
There is always an inordinate amount of discussion in this forum about Sydney University being a class above the other clubs, apparently for a variety of reasons - money, scholarships, s & c coaches, etc.
It may well be the case on the whole, but let's look at 1st grade in the first instance.
Eastwood were Minor Premiers above Sydney University. It was not until the Super Rugby players came back to club rugby did Sydney Uni really dominate. It is obvious that super rugby players will have a distinct advantage over club rugby players.
I suggested, what I believed to be a simple solution, a month or so ago - to qualify to play in the finals series, a player should have played in say, 6 club games throughout the season. I was told that such a rule already existed, namely, a player has had to have played 4 of the last 7 games to qualify. That clearly is not the case though because Sekope Kepu played for Randwick in one of the semis and he hadn't played for Randwick since 2010!
In the Grand Final, as we all know, Sydney Uni had more contracted Super Rugby players starting than you could poke a stick at, and they were coming off the bench as well.
I kept thinking about the players who played first grade throughout the season and got them to the position of being able to play finals football, only to be pushed down a grade or two, and likewise those players in second grade being pushed down, and so on.
To my way of thinking, they were hollow victories.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
There is always an inordinate amount of discussion in this forum about Sydney University being a class above the other clubs, apparently for a variety of reasons - money, scholarships, s & c coaches, etc.
It may well be the case on the whole, but let's look at 1st grade in the first instance.
Eastwood were Minor Premiers above Sydney University. It was not until the Super Rugby players came back to club rugby did Sydney Uni really dominate. It is obvious that super rugby players will have a distinct advantage over club rugby players.
I suggested, what I believed to be a simple solution, a month or so ago - to qualify to play in the finals series, a player should have played in say, 6 club games throughout the season. I was told that such a rule already existed, namely, a player has had to have played 4 of the last 7 games to qualify. That clearly is not the case though because Sekope Kepu played for Randwick in one of the semis and he hadn't played for Randwick since 2010!
In the Grand Final, as we all know, Sydney Uni had more contracted Super Rugby players starting than you could poke a stick at, and they were coming off the bench as well.
I kept thinking about the players who played first grade throughout the season and got them to the position of being able to play finals football, only to be pushed down a grade or two, and likewise those players in second grade being pushed down, and so on.
Uni won 51-6, which for all intents & purposes was a hiding.
Their team were all bona fide members of the Uni Rugby club.
In all probability their 2nd grade side would have gone close to beating Eastwoods firsts.
If all the Uni players had been available for the whole season clearly Eastwood would not have been minor premiers.
You might not like it ,but the bottom line is that Sydney Uni is far and away the best club in Australia.
The fact that they had a number of super 15 players returning at the end of the season is the only reason that another club managed to finish
minor premiers & delayed the inevitable.The guys in the lower grades are aware that they are likely to be pushed down a grade come finals time ,but they continue to play for
the University club nevertheless.
No one is suggesting that such continued dominance is good for the competition,but I don't agree that their victory is "hollow",they are simply just too good.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Uni won 51-6, which for all intents & purposes was a hiding.
Their team were all bona fide members of the Uni Rugby club.
In all probability their 2nd grade side would have gone close to beating Eastwoods firsts.
If all the Uni players had been available for the whole season clearly Eastwood would not have been minor premiers.
You might not like it ,but the bottom line is that Sydney Uni is far and away the best club in Australia.
The fact that they had a number of super 15 players returning at the end of the season is the only reason that another club managed to finish
minor premiers & delayed the inevitable.The guys in the lower grades are aware that they are likely to be pushed down a grade come finals time ,but they continue to play for
the University club nevertheless.
No one is suggesting that such continued dominance is good for the competition,but I don't agree that their victory is "hollow",they are simply just too good.

http://www.sydneyunirugby.com.au/_blog/Club_News/post/teams-announced/

The amount of 1st Grade that has been played in the 2nd Grade side is incredible. Its definately hard to beat a club with that much depth across the board.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
I think the only 1st grade teams the Uni 2nd grade wouldn't beat are Souths, Manly and Eastwood. Maybe Easts.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)

I thought that S15 players were exempt from this rule as long as they are registered with the club ie it is assumed that they would have played the required number of games had they not been required by their S15 teams. Is that not the case?

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Warringah played well , but the composition of the Uni team that day in no way resembled the teams they put on the
field later in the year, such that a number of people tipped Warringah to win.
In fact there were only 4 members of their grand final team playing that day.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Warringah played well , but the composition of the Uni team that day in no way resembled the teams they put on the
field later in the year, such that a number of people tipped Warringah to win.
In fact there were only 4 members of their grand final team playing that day.
Agree on the number of 1st graders that day plus 3 from that day played in Uni's 3rd grade GF team, but the original point being made was that Sydney Uni 2nd grade would beat all but maybe 4 of the other Shute Shield club's 1st grade teams.....you have to read back a bit.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Agree on the number of 1st graders that day plus 3 from that day played in Uni's 3rd grade GF team, but the original point being made was that Sydney Uni 2nd grade would beat all but maybe 4 of the other Shute Shield club's 1st grade teams...you have to read back a bit.
Yes,I was replying to #3168

Status
Not open for further replies.