• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
True - woodies won because they took their chances. We could also complain because Hill was in front of the kicker but seriously I think a 25 - 22 scoreline reflected a fair score and the same team would be going through. I'm not whingeing.
Yeah it was a tough game.

Manly just seemed a little off to me - which is really tough because they ave been anything but all season.
If you listen to the TV you will hear the ref call 13 as onside: it would be very tough (and may be not permitted) to reverse that play because he could have been put onside and they may/would still have scored.
How many of Woodies will be crocked for this week though?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
The relevant part of law 14 is in the definition:

I believe you're taking this out of context.

If that was applied literally in every situation then a player attempting to catch a pass or a kick who fell over before completing the catch would be penalised also. I've seen this happen many times and the referee has correctly played on.

Section 14(d) specifies what a player on the ground is not allowed to do and it doesn't say he cannot play the ball.

(d)
A player on the ground must not tackle or attempt to tackle an opponent.​
Sanction: Penalty kick

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I believe your taking this out of context.

If that was applied literally in every situation then a player attempting to catch a pass or a kick who fell over before completing the catch would be penalised also. I've seen this happen many times and the referee has correctly played on.

Section 14(d) specifies what a player on the ground is not allowed to do and it doesn't say he cannot play the ball.

(d)
A player on the ground must not tackle or attempt to tackle an opponent.

Well we'll have to disagree on that Coach: when I did my first refs qualification in the mid 70's the laws - written in olde english - started IIRC with something like
Rugby is a game played by 15 players on their feet
It is an absolutely central tenet of the game.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Manly just seemed a little off to me - which is really tough because they ave been anything but all season.
If you listen to the TV you will hear the ref call 13 as onside: it would be very tough (and may be not permitted) to reverse that play because he could have been put onside and they may/would still have scored.
How many of Woodies will be crocked for this week though?

Not complaining, a few more clubs in the GFs this year which will no doubt please turn over.
Woods V South
Manly V Uni
Rats V Uni
Woods V Uni
Wicks V Uni
Manly v Uni
Manly v Uni

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Firstly as a disclaimer, I haven't seen the incident.

I think it depends why you're on the ground. If you're on the ground because you've been part of a ruck or you've made a tackle or been tackled etc. you are out of the game and you need to get back to your feet and put yourself onside before you can participate in the game again.

If you just fall over or you dive you're still part of the game and are allowed to play the ball on the ground (e.g. diving/sliding onto a ball to score a try etc.).

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Coach,

I cannot recall the incident you are talking about but you may need to work out hw the bloke came to be on the ground because of law 15
Simultaneous post with Braveheart - I think we substantially agree

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Coach,

I cannot recall the incident you are talking about but you may need to work out hw the bloke came to be on the ground because of law 15
Simultaneous post with Braveheart - I think we substantially agree

Yes, I agree completely. I'm not clear how he came to be on the ground but I don't believe he was part of the ruck / maul and he wasn't tackled with the ball so IMO (and the ref's I assume) he was OK to play the ball.

I was just trying to make the point that the old adage that you're out of the game if you're off your feet doesn't apply in all situations.

Anyway, I agree the better team on the day won so let's move on :)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Firstly as a disclaimer, I haven't seen the incident.

I think it depends why you're on the ground. If you're on the ground because you've been part of a ruck or you've made a tackle or been tackled etc. you are out of the game and you need to get back to your feet and put yourself onside before you can participate in the game again.

If you just fall over or you dive you're still part of the game and are allowed to play the ball on the ground (e.g. diving/sliding onto a ball to score a try etc.).

He had previously been part of the tackle/ensuing ruck and when it drove past him, he was left on the ground.

In any case, Law 16.4 (d) applies:

Law 16.4 (d)
Players on the ground in or near the ruck must try to move away from the ball. These players must not interfere with the ball in the ruck or as it comes out of the ruck.
http://www.irblaws.com/index.php?law=16.4

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If that was the case he definitely has to get back on his feet and be in an onside position (either by moving himself or having someone else put him onside (depending on the situation)) before he can play the ball.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Not complaining, a few more clubs in the GFs this year which will no doubt please turn over.
Woods V South
Manly V Uni
Rats V Uni
Woods V Uni
Wicks V Uni
Manly v Uni
Manly v Uni

It's still pretty sad when half the clubs cannot get a single GF berth, while one organisation gets into all but one.

If the Shute Shield were a serious competition, changes would be made. Obviously it is not to be seen as a serious competition, which speaks volumes for the broader health of our game in Greater Sydney.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What would your suggestion be to fix it Wamberal?

How do you make Sydney Uni less appealing to play for?

There are a lot of private schoolboys, particularly the rugby types who proceed to the colleges at Sydney Uni for their first couple of years and play rugby as well. They probably drag their other rugby mates to the club.

Many GPS/CAS/ISA boys probably lost their village club affiliation fairly early on because they played most of their high school rugby at school.

T

turnovertwopasses

I feel for Manly and Uni- prelim final losses are hard to swallow. Great to see the Rebels march into the decider. Cannot wait for Saturday.

Bomber Harris

Chris McKivat (8)
It's still pretty sad when half the clubs cannot get a single GF berth, while one organisation gets into all but one.

If the Shute Shield were a serious competition, changes would be made. Obviously it is not to be seen as a serious competition, which speaks volumes for the broader health of our game in Greater Sydney.[/quote

Now there's a thing . IMO ( which is my right :) ) the complete ignore of SS in the SMH despite the likelihood that in this town SS finals crowds will beat the NCC or whatever name is proposed bespeaks the agenda . The bean counters and player managers win .

LThe continued disrespect and disregard of grass roots rugby ie; community exemplified by the corporation is palpable . It will be a great day if the Rebels take the trophy . As for the prospect of the corporation stacking their 2's it will be a very sad reflection on them.....

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The GF Tickets.
The whole season clubs charge $15, and kids walk through the gate and its a great day of rugby with allot of volunteers making it all come together. This year all clubs did a great job and should be commended, and there was even rivalry with the menu.

I think it stinks that the NSWRU jumps in come finals time and bumps up entry prices - and then with the GF what the fuck it even appears they are charging the grass roots (5 - 16 year olds) entry.

For $30 (2 x 15) you would have got 2 adults and the kids, as it stand you may get one and a bird, and multiply that by many other rugby followers who may think the same. That is our grass roots not attending.

All clubs - well done on the season!

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The GF Tickets.
The whole season clubs charge $15, and kids walk through the gate and its a great day of rugby with allot of volunteers making it all come together. This year all clubs did a great job and should be commended, and there was even rivalry with the menu.

I think it stinks that the NSWRU jumps in come finals time and bumps up entry prices - and then with the GF what the fuck it even appears they are charging the grass roots (5 - 16 year olds) entry.

For $30 (2 x 15) you would have got 2 adults and the kids, as it stand you may get one and a bird, and multiply that by many other rugby followers who may think the same. That is our grass roots not attending.

All clubs - well done on the season!

Ticket typePrice Per Ticket/Item†Quantity
Adult $22.94
Junior (5-16yrs) $2.55
Family (Admits 4) $45.88
Concession $17.84

WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.