• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
It would make a massice amount of sense for Norths to have a few rooms at North Sydney Oval. You cant tell me that there aren't a stack of empty spaces in the Mollie Dive stand (for example) that would serve the club's purposes of administration and a bar.
The profits they will make from selling Christie street ( as I understand) are being allocated to a foundation to provide an income stream in perpetuity. ( pretty much where all clubs are heading) which I think is a fantastic idea. Clubs have been wonderfully skilled at fucking up lump sums, so a foundation where only the income can be touched in my opinion will position the SS clubs for the future.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
It would make a massice amount of sense for Norths to have a few rooms at North Sydney Oval. You cant tell me that there aren't a stack of empty spaces in the Mollie Dive stand (for example) that would serve the club's purposes of administration and a bar.
The profits they will make from selling Christie street ( as I understand) are being allocated to a foundation to provide an income stream in perpetuity. (pretty much where all clubs are heading) which I think is a fantastic idea. Clubs have been wonderfully skilled at fucking up lump sums, so a foundation where only the income can be touched in my opinion will position the SS clubs for the future.

Don't underestimate a rugby club's ability to stuff up a permanent income stream reliant on market returns. Given it's location and size along with competitive advantage - captured market of Norths players and supporters plus pretty good facilities - compared to other bars in the area, the income stream from holding the asset should have been more than enough to cover any "foundation" income.

As usual there's something else going on here and it seems like a desperation play for a short term solution. Either that or they already have something organised.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
If they open a bar at North Sydney Oval the owner of the North Sydney Hotel won't be happy.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Don't underestimate a rugby club's ability to stuff up a permanent income stream reliant on market returns. Given it's location and size along with competitive advantage - captured market of Norths players and supporters plus pretty good facilities - compared to other bars in the area, the income stream from holding the asset should have been more than enough to cover any "foundation" income.

As usual there's something else going on here and it seems like a desperation play for a short term solution. Either that or they already have something organised.
Yeah,but the landscape has changed.
In the good old days,anyone could run a small/ medium sized club and deliver a consistent profit.
These days it appears to be a very difficult business to run.Mounties & Panthers continue to absorb these smaller clubs,or they go to the wall.
I would hazard a guess,that the reported widespread defections of players this year is related to the decision to liquidate their assets.
If I am joining the dots correctly,their board is acting prudently,to preserve their assets.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
I wasnt suggesting Norths open a new licenced club - moreso bar facilities on games days, functions etc etc.
I'd rather they focus on rugby rather than running a club. Manly seem to have raised a fair amount of $ with their Foundation drive thus far.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
Warringah beat Gordon 10 tries to 3 on satirday in their first trial

Is the Warringah vs Tuggeranong trial this weekend? If it is Vikings will have 6+ players out with ACT XV commitments. Will Warringah have many players missing or away on Gen Blue duties?

beserker

Herbert Moran (7)
The Shute Shield needs a visionary leader. it aint coming from the ARU. They need to find a commercial formula and change the playing rules that will attract spectators. Do we involve Japanese business houses? whatever it may be. The rules need to change as the spectators don't get scrums and are bored with the lack of contested time in a game.

Japan could save rugby just like India saved cricket. Let's get them into Super Rugby ASAP

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Japan could save rugby just like India saved cricket. Let's get them into Super Rugby ASAP

I have been putting Jpn out there for 12 months now.
In short
Our seasons don't conflict - I.e. George Smith last year.
The have the 2019 RWC.
It would be great having a JPN development involved in Aust and funding the TV rights

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
2 weeks on Saturday the 1st round kicks off! Any idea what the 1st ABC game will be?

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Should be interesting Randwick not looking all that strong with a fair few injured across the board. Rumour that Easts are battling a bit also particulary with a shortage of tight 5 options.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Should be interesting Randwick not looking all that strong with a fair few injured across the board. Rumour that Easts are battling a bit also particulary with a shortage of tight 5 options.

As long as none of the injuries are serious and Manly wins, all is right with Shute Shield Rugby:D

Status
Not open for further replies.