• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I've seen some small references on here as to the effect that the NRC will have on Uni and the players available come finals time in the SS. Am I right in saying it will be very likely that the players Uni have at the start of the season will be the ones taking the field during finals as the Super players not going to Wallabies will be taken up with NRC duties and not club.

If this is correct and given how even the games are in past seasons when Super Rugby is on I believe that this year will be a very open competition. Teams like Eastwood and Manly who will be strong again must give themselves a big chance this year

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The Soup comp final round finishes 2 weeks prior to the final round of the SS.
So all Brumbies,Force and Rebels player will be back for the last 2 rounds.
I understand Soup players don't need any minimum number of games to qualify,so it's pretty much business as usual i think.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The Soup comp final round finishes 2 weeks prior to the final round of the SS.
So all Brumbies,Force and Rebels player will be back for the last 2 rounds.
I understand Soup players don't need any minimum number of games to qualify,so it's pretty much business as usual i think.

I haven't checked exact dates because I'm sure you'd be correct.
The question remains though will Brumbies, Force, Rebels allow any players to return to the Shute.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I've seen some small references on here as to the effect that the NRC will have on Uni and the players available come finals time in the SS. Am I right in saying it will be very likely that the players Uni have at the start of the season will be the ones taking the field during finals as the Super players not going to Wallabies will be taken up with NRC duties and not club.

If this is correct and given how even the games are in past seasons when Super Rugby is on I believe that this year will be a very open competition. Teams like Eastwood and Manly who will be strong again must give themselves a big chance this year

I don't see many teams getting an influx of Super Players at the back end this season, can't wait for it to start.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)

I think you are partially correct, Ilmf. Even before confirmation of the NRC going ahead, Uni faced a significant challenge with the Rebels apparently deciding not to release their contracted players to come back to play in Sydney Club rugby this season. The Rebels players were a major factor in how well Uni performed in the Grand Final.

So Uni are likely to be faced with a situation where their club-men at four franchises - Rebels, Reds, Brumbies and Force - have to sever playing ties with their club of choice. Uni players contracted with the 'Tahs may well be available although it is not yet clear whether Shore-Old-Boys-Bush-Division will be able to use their top level contacts to force some Uni Players to join them rather than playing for the Sydney Stars (provisional unfortunate name) in the NRC. I can't quite see how NRC duties would stop players participating in the Club Finals Series given that there is no overlap time-wise.

Because of their lack of access to most of the Super players they have developed Uni will definitely be tested, with players having to be developed to First Grade standard more rapidly. But this may be partially offset by the fact that there will be less disruption to team cohesion at the end of the season. One important positive factor is that Tom Carter will be available to focus on club rugby all season. People belittle him but he is still, in my opinion, the best organiser of backline defence in Australian rugby and his ability to provoke and unsettle opposition sides will greatly help to take pressure off relatively inexperienced team-mates.

We won't know how well Uni will cope with reduced availability of its professional players until season end although I think they have real capacity for adaptation to challenges. But that's only my admittedly biased view.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
So Uni are likely to be faced with a situation where their club-men at four franchises - Rebels, Reds, Brumbies and Force - have to sever playing ties with their club of choice. Uni players contracted with the 'Tahs may well be available although it is not yet clear whether Shore-Old-Boys-Bush-Division will be able to use their top level contacts to force some Uni Players to join them rather than playing for the Sydney Stars (provisional unfortunate name) in the NRC. I can't quite see how NRC duties would stop players participating in the Club Finals Series given that there is no overlap time-wise.

We won't know how well Uni will cope with reduced availability of its professional players until season end although I think they have real capacity for adaptation to challenges. But that's only my admittedly biased view.

Agree Bruce that it is sad to lose the 3 GF outside backs at the Rebels (plus Inman who didn't feature in last year's GF) but the cupboard isn't quiet bare yet - there are 9 Sydney Uni jerseys in this picture, of whom only one is currently a serious Wallaby contender.
http://www.rugbynews.net.au/shute-shield-tahs-show-their-colours-as-new-club-season-looms/

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Agree Bruce that it is sad to lose the 3 GF outside backs at the Rebels (plus Inman who didn't feature in last year's GF) but the cupboard isn't quiet bare yet - there are 9 Sydney Uni jerseys in this picture, of whom only one is currently a serious Wallaby contender.
http://www.rugbynews.net.au/shute-shield-tahs-show-their-colours-as-new-club-season-looms/

When Bruce says
'Tahs may well be available although it is not yet clear whether Shore-Old-Boys-Bush-Division will be able to use their top level contacts to force some Uni Players to join them rather than playing for the Sydney Stars (provisional unfortunate name) in the NRC.
I think he is saying that maybe politics may have some of the country boys distributed out - not sure if that is what he's referring to, and / or whether or not it impacts the Shute Shield finals????

Baxxter

Frank Row (1)
Moving away from points totals, what are the trial games this weekend? Rats have Norths at Rat Park.

Yep, Northies have a busy weekend. The Seti Tafua Charity Match, vs NZ premier club Poneke, is on Friday night at 7.30pm.

Not sure how many Norths 1st grade players will back up for the Rats. Not the greatest scheduling, nor promotion of the Seti game (by Norths)...

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
How could the Old Shore Boys Bush division,be more powerful than the Old Shore Boys Uni division.
A group of Pitt st Farmers v the current Chair & the current CEO of The ARU?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Yep, Northies have a busy weekend. The Seti Tafua Charity Match, vs NZ premier club Poneke, is on Friday night at 7.30pm.

Not sure how many Norths 1st grade players will back up for the Rats. Not the greatest scheduling, nor promotion of the Seti game (by Norths).
That's a shame,had I known,and it didn't clash with the Tahs I would have taken a delegation.
Even if I can't see a fucking thing in the dark there,and $8 for a burger,I would have supported the cause.
Can you still donate to the fund directly?
If so how?
It's good too see the Club continuing to support him.

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
Went out to the Uni vs Penrith trial today. Uni were without their 1sts (who won against Easts Brisbane). There were more cards than you'd see at a Poker Tournament. It got a bit heated. Even the Ref of the last game got in on it, pushing one of the Penrith players!!
I think Uni probably won all three games but the first two were close. Good on Penrith. Keep at it Emus.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Souths 21 Easts 10 (3 tries to 2). Good trial. Souths looked sharp and Easts had a lot of defensive intensity and a great rolling maul.

griffith blacks

Frank Row (1)
Watched eastwood randwick trials yesterday eastwood won all four grades. Randwick looks to be side that will do well this year in first grade. Woods lost a number of key players to injury. It should be close comp this year.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Conflicting results re the first grade game between Randwick & Eastwood according to various posts .
Who actually won ?

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Well, we knew we had to go out there and stick to the game plan. A few silly errors put us under pressure, Full credit to other guys, they kept at as all day, but (wait for it...) Rugby was the winner on the day!! ;)

Yeah, nah
It was a game of two halves
The boys done good
etc.
etc.

Backrow

Allen Oxlade (6)
I look forward to seeing how the top SS players go against the non-wobs super players. Could be a good opportunity for some blokes looked over by the super teams to really put their hand up. Hopefully some of these guys will get in at the expense of the professional hangers on occupying spots in the super 15

Status
Not open for further replies.