• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
The challenge may be to move some games to "non-traditional" venues such as the likes of Redfern Oval (Wicks & Uni), David Phillips Oval (Wicks), Henson Park, Macquarie Uni (Gordon/Norths) for the first round or two.
Marlins to Brookie - can afford ground hire from Warringah Council more than the Sea Eagles ! Can't imagine the old rivalry leading to Rat Park being available :)

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
I noticed the 2014 Brisbane draw has the comp running from March to August rather than April to September in order to accommodate the NRC. Does anyone know if the Shute Shield will be scheduled earlier as well?

S

secondfive

If Gordons rugby set up is as professional as their website, they'll go close to taking out the shute shield title in 2014.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Will the NRC end Sydney Uni's reign in the SS now that Super Rugby players won't be involved in club rugby?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I noticed the 2014 Brisbane draw has the comp running from March to August rather than April to September in order to accommodate the NRC. Does anyone know if the Shute Shield will be scheduled earlier as well?

Yes, apparently it will also finish in August in line with the finish of the S15 season and start earlier, hence the concern about the availability of some grounds which are also used for cricket.

S

secondfive

Huge year in 2014 for Parra two blues- lost a genuine gun coach there

howyagoin

Ted Fahey (11)
SS will be exactly the same as the QLD premier draw I think

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
With the advent of the 3rd tier , what about the Shute Shield 2014 & thereafter ?
Does anyone care?
With the slow demise of club Rugby, & propping up the 3rd tier at the expense of the clubs , how is that spreading the game ?
Is there any evidence that club Rugby will be given the extra support it will need ,& if not where ,ultimately , will all the new rep players come from?

T

turnovertwopasses

Shute Shield Predictor for 2014
Eastwood
Uni
Gordon
Randwick
Manly
Southern Districts
Norths
Easts
West Harbour
Warringah
Parramatta
Penrith

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
With the advent of the 3rd tier , what about the Shute Shield 2014 & thereafter ?
Does anyone care?
With the slow demise of club Rugby, & propping up the 3rd tier at the expense of the clubs , how is that spreading the game ?
Is there any evidence that club Rugby will be given the extra support it will need ,& if not where ,ultimately , will all the new rep players come from?

I would add the words "at the ARU" between "anyone" and "care" in your second sentence.

Certainly unlikely that the clubs will receive any financial assistance from the ARU from now on. But then again from all accounts they weren't receiving much anyway.

There was an interesting article on the Roar this morning comparing pathways in league (very well established) to union. The writer concluded that the 3T filled an important gap, but (IMO) without successful club rugby (ie 4T) the whole structure could start to resemble a house of cards.

Certainly the lower tiers are much more appreciated and resourced in league at the moment. But of course the NRL clubs are effectively the top tier in league and are where the players earn their livelihoods, unlike union.

I think everyone should be concerned that we don't throw the baby out with the bathwater in the enthusiasm in getting the 3T up and running as most of the players will be coming from the clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.