• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
But a number of clubs are running on empty I'm afraid.How many clubs now have their own licensed premises for example?Speak to a few of the club presidents for the real picture.All clubs are depending on sponsorship to varying degrees,& without it many clubs are no better off than some of the subdistrict clubs.
And bear in mind posting a profit is aided by the grant given to the clubs up until now, by the ARU, an amount no longer available.
Yes but clubs in general are interesting - is their job to run a huge profit to pay dividends and to who?
Or is there job to run run a tight sensible business and win Premierships and attract fans and sponsors?
Allot of clubs are improving at the later.

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
During the 2014 season I often did a round trip to the "Big Smoke" of 5-6 hours to watch the progeny play. I always recorded the SS. If there was a home game out here I would watch the locals run around and record the SS. Otherwise, watching SS live on the ABC was a highlight of my week. Didn't matter who was playing. I will miss it terribly and hope there is some alternative possible.
But, I would like to hear more from people about how the season is shaping up. How are the Emu's going to fair? I noted last season on one of these threads that their man Mckenzie was the goods, and I hear he did very well in the NRC.
I also heard gossip that Davidson is coming back to Uni in 2015. If true I imagine it is to guide what will need to be a very young outfit (Boidon to France and Talakai to the Reds I think - correct me) Uni will again need to work hard at bringing their younger players up to speed.

Edit - re Uni. I think Dargaville is gone next year as well.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
I think that's an oversimplification Dave.
Running a Rugby club these days is an expensive business,& even at a club level Rugby is semi professional.
The costs to each club are increasing each year,& the ability of clubs to retain their players increasingly difficult.
Sponsorship,the most important source of income, is a lottery for many clubs,as each club is relying on the generosity of others ,& there is no guarantee that adequate
sponsorship dollars will necessarily be forthcoming,resulting in a tenuous existence at best.The recent decision by the ABC to stop broadcasts may well
make the sourcing of sponsors even more difficult than it already is.
There are unavoidable costs each year,these include the purchase of playing gear,& of course compulsory insurance & registration,the latter being met by the players
in most instances,(but not all).
First grade coaches in most if not all cases ,are paid by the club.Some clubs pay lower grade & assistant coaches & fitness trainers etc. also.
Next year there will also be a participation tax on all junior & senior players also,an extra cost to be met by players & perhaps partly by clubs.

The function of clubs is obviously not to make huge profits or pay dividends,nor simply win premierships.
They also have a responsibility to provide an environment where players enjoy participating in the game of Rugby,an environment in which they can do this safely
& to this end ensure there are appropriate personnel to facilitate this,(doctors,physios etc ,an extra cost),provide appropriate training equipment,find coaches who have the skill & expertise to teach
players how to optimise their playing skills,& last but not least the clubs surely have the responsibility to develop & spread the game of Rugby in their community.
And of course decent grounds & maintenance costs are an ever increasing burden.
All the recent body blows to Rugby make it just that much harder.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I think that's an oversimplification Dave.
Running a Rugby club these days is an expensive business,& even at a club level Rugby is semi professional.
The costs to each club are increasing each year,& the ability of clubs to retain their players increasingly difficult.
Sponsorship,the most important source of income, is a lottery for many clubs,as each club is relying on the generosity of others ,& there is no guarantee that adequate
sponsorship dollars will necessarily be forthcoming,resulting in a tenuous existence at best.The recent decision by the ABC to stop broadcasts may well
make the sourcing of sponsors even more difficult than it already is.
There are unavoidable costs each year,these include the purchase of playing gear,& of course compulsory insurance & registration,the latter being met by the players
in most instances,(but not all).
First grade coaches in most if not all cases ,are paid by the club.Some clubs pay lower grade & assistant coaches & fitness trainers etc. also.
Next year there will also be a participation tax on all junior & senior players also,an extra cost to be met by players & perhaps partly by clubs.

The function of clubs is obviously not to make huge profits or pay dividends,nor simply win premierships.
They also have a responsibility to provide an environment where players enjoy participating in the game of Rugby,an environment in which they can do this safely
& to this end ensure there are appropriate personnel to facilitate this,(doctors,physios etc ,an extra cost),provide appropriate training equipment,find coaches who have the skill & expertise to teach
players how to optimise their playing skills,& last but not least the clubs surely have the responsibility to develop & spread the game of Rugby in their community.
And of course decent grounds & maintenance costs are an ever increasing burden.
All the recent body blows to Rugby make it just that much harder.
Simply asked 2 simple questions that do actually apply to your response, whilst the business can be complicated they are 2 fair questions.

I'll share this petition here as well - right hand side of link https://www.change.org/p/the-austra...pt&utm_medium=email&utm_source=share_petition

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I disagree. Their live sport had been slashed because it is very expensive TV to make particularly relative to the number of people who watch it.

Really?
More expensive than running at least 3 separate news services providing the same information through different "reporters" for each service?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Really?
More expensive than running at least 3 separate news services providing the same information through different "reporters" for each service?

I think you're comparing apples with oranges.

Cost per minute of TV for live sport is very expensive.

My guess is that cutting live sport produced bigger savings relative to how many jobs had to be cut than most others. It would also have taken into account numbers of viewers in terms of how much of the ABC audience is affected.

There are still more cuts to come. I believe the news division finds out who is cut this week.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Does anyone know if the below I s the final draw, gee it finishes in July.????

1. Lets play full home and away and get it on FTA.
  2. Why not play the finals on Fox as a lead in to this thing called the NRC - maybe a good why to market the NRC so people are aware.
  3. Come to think of it - having the SS on TV is a great way to market the NRC, yeah the comp Mr Pulver asked clubs to invest in but to only take away support and then not even have it on the box - ??? what a way to market this investment - did the ARU do a great job marketing the NRC this year.
If you think the ARU needs to improve the marketing of Grass Roots and the NRC - well i do, and Grass Roots is a great way to market the game - grass roots are in it for the love of the game.

HOME AWAY
Round 1 21-Mar-15
Eastern Suburbs v Gordon
Eastwood v Randwick
Warringah v Southern Districts
Penrith v Sydney University
Parramatta v Manly
West Harbour v Northern Suburbs
Round 2 28-Mar-15
Gordon v Eastwood
Northern Suburbs v Warringah
Manly v Penrith
Randwick v West Harbour
Southern Districts v Parramatta
Sydney University v Eastern Suburbs
Round 3 4-Apr-15
Eastern Suburbs v Manly
Gordon v Sydney University
Parramatta v Northern Suburbs
Penrith v Southern Districts
Randwick v Warringah
Eastwood v West Harbour
Round 4 11-Apr-15
Warringah v Eastwood
Northern Suburbs v Penrith
Southern Districts v Eastern Suburbs
Sydney University v Manly
Parramatta v Randwick
West Harbour v Gordon
Round 5 18-Apr-15
Eastern Suburbs v Northern Suburbs
Eastwood v Parramatta
Manly v Gordon
Warringah v West Harbour
Penrith v Randwick
Southern Districts v Sydney University
Round 6 25-Apr-15
Gordon v Warringah
Northern Suburbs v Sydney University
Manly v Southern Districts
Penrith v Eastwood
Randwick v Eastern Suburbs
West Harbour v Parramatta
Round 7 2-May-15
Eastern Suburbs v Eastwood
Gordon v Southern Districts
Northern Suburbs v Manly
Sydney University v Randwick
Parramatta v Warringah
West Harbour v Penrith
Round 8 9-May-15
Eastern Suburbs v West Harbour
Eastwood v Sydney University
Warringah v Penrith
Southern Districts v Northern Suburbs
Parramatta v Gordon
Randwick v Manly
Round 9 16-May-15
Gordon v Northern Suburbs
Manly v Eastwood
Warringah v Eastern Suburbs
Penrith v Parramatta
West Harbour v Sydney University
Southern Districts v Randwick
Round 10 23-May-15
Eastwood v Southern Districts
Gordon v Penrith
Northern Suburbs v Randwick
Sydney University v Warringah
Parramatta v Eastern Suburbs
West Harbour v Manly
Round 11 30-May-15
Eastern Suburbs v Penrith
Northern Suburbs v Eastwood
Manly v Warringah
Randwick v Gordon
Southern Districts v West Harbour
Sydney University v Parramatta
Wet Weather 6-Jun-15
Round 12 13-Jun-15
Gordon v Eastern Suburbs
Manly v Parramatta
Warringah v Northern Suburbs
Penrith v West Harbour
Randwick v Sydney University
Southern Districts v Eastwood
Round 13 20-Jun-15
Eastern Suburbs v Sydney University
Eastwood v Manly
Warringah v Gordon
Penrith v Northern Suburbs
Parramatta v Southern Districts
West Harbour v Randwick
Round 14 27-Jun-15
Eastwood v Penrith
Northern Suburbs v Gordon
Manly v Eastern Suburbs
Randwick v Parramatta
Southern Districts v Warringah
Sydney University v West Harbour
Round 15 4-Jul-15
Eastern Suburbs v Randwick
Gordon v Parramatta
Manly v Northern Suburbs
Penrith v Warringah
Sydney University v Southern Districts
West Harbour v Eastwood
Round 16 11-Jul-15
Eastwood v Eastern Suburbs
Northern Suburbs v West Harbour
Warringah v Manly
Randwick v Southern Districts
Sydney University v Gordon
Parramatta v Penrith
Round 17 18-Jul-15
Gordon v Manly
Northern Suburbs v Eastern Suburbs
Warringah v Sydney University
Randwick v Eastwood
Southern Districts v Penrith
Parramatta v West Harbour
Round 18 25-Jul-15
Eastern Suburbs v Parramatta
Eastwood v Warringah
Manly v Randwick
Sydney University v Northern Suburbs
West Harbour v Southern Districts
Penrith v Gordon

T

turnovertwopasses

Been doing some running round the northern beaches... a lot of manly marlins blokes seem to be putting in good yards in the off season... can they go 1 better and make a grand final this year?

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
You need to know the composition of each team I would have thought.I have heard that there has
been a bit of movement between clubs,& some new players ,not previously in the SS.New coaches are
likely to have an influence also.Without this knowledge it's largely guesswork.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
No, not just because of the new coach,although I think it's a big part of it.
They have lost a few key players,and I think they are due for a generational change in players.
Invariably when you are relying on a host of newcomers to 1st grade,consistency is an issue.
Not saying the young bucks will not be up to it,just that doing it week in week out will be an issue.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Damn that sucks. I loved watching the replays of the Shute Shield.

Anyway, who's the favourite down south in the Sydney Club Rugby? Are the Students looking good or will the Woodies go back to back? Will Manly or the Rats push to better their 2014 campaigns? Are Southern heading for 3 Gf's in 4 years?
I will follow try and follow it closely, but I'm not too informed with the Sydney ruggers unfortunately, apart from the results.

With the Australian Club Championship, I personally think the Woodies will win in a close one.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
1900065_866803376685754_6440456811436010528_n.jpg

I don't mean to keep posting on the SS thread considering I'm a Queenslander, but how good is the photo above ? (credit to photographer).

It really epitomises Club Rugby. Sensational.

Status
Not open for further replies.