• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Results from 26 May

Manly 23 def Randwick 10
Wests 31 def Parramatta 21 (back at Granville?)
Uni 40 def Souths 12
Warringah 29 def Easts 8
Norths 97 def Gordon 14 (ouch, that would hurt)

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Some genuine 3rd graders running a rounds in 1's ATM.
Their colts program is starting to pay dividends,so hopefully in a year or two that will be reflected in Senior grades.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Some genuine 3rd graders running a rounds in 1's ATM.
Their colts program is starting to pay dividends,so hopefully in a year or two that will be reflected in Senior grades.

Will they be able to hold them though. Results like that reflect deeper issues at the club I suspect.

When Drummoyne and Norths came back in to first division, Norths went out and recruited guys to play first grade, Drummoyne tried to build through their colts. Norths first grade were competitive in that first year back and were able to use that to rebuild the club to SS standard. Drummoyne were hopelessly uncompetitive in first grade as they essentially used the same guys who played in 2nd division. Even though their colts were strong, they couldn't hold them because nobody wants to move into teams which aren't competitive.

Norths are now reigning SS premiers, Drummoyne are now playing Kentwell Cup.

EDIT:Norths were 2016 premiers.:) (apologies to Warrangah supporters)

PhilthyRat

Frank Row (1)
[quote="Quick Hands,

Norths are now reigning SS premiers, Drummoyne are now playing Kentwell Cup.[/quote]

Think you’ll find Warringah are reigning SS Premiers... Norths the previous year

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
[quote="Quick Hands,

Norths are now reigning SS premiers, Drummoyne are now playing Kentwell Cup.

Think you’ll find Warringah are reigning SS Premiers. Norths the previous year[/quote]

My apologies, how could I forget the triumph of the Rats last year.

But the point remains.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Although, no Warringah supporter that I know would ever let me forget.:)

I have to say that I was thrilled when they won, nothing better than seeing the premiership being shared around. Way back, there was a pretty good relationship between us and the Rats, lots of Eastwood players were in surf clubs in their territory.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
The game was indeed at Granville.
We were not at our best (never really seem to be at the home of the MTB's) yesterday and let them back into it with some sloppy defence.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I've decided I have a problem with the quick tap penalty within the attacking 22m area.
The defence really doesn't have much chance to get back on side and if they tackle the player they cop a yellow card and potentially a penalty try as well.
OK for the tap to continue as an option but the defence has to be given a chance to get on side.
I'd like to see the law changed.

What do people think?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Taking the quick tap should nullify the 10m off side law. In fact, I was under the impression that the off side line came down to 5m when a quick tap penalty was taken, but that doesn't seem to be the current situation.

As long as the players are retiring and making no attempt to tackle, they aren't offside at a quick tap. They can't become involved in the play until they have retired 10 metres from the mark though.

For example if Team A is awarded a penalty and it's taken quickly and there is a player from Team B a metre in front of the mark, that player from Team B isn't offside if the player from Team A with the ball runs into him - as long as he is retiring from the mark.

1. When a penalty or free-kick is awarded, the opposing team must immediately retreat 10 metres towards their own goal line or until they have reached their goal line if that is closer.
playicon.png
  1. Even if the penalty or free-kick is taken quickly and the kicker’s team is playing the ball, opposing players must keep retreating the necessary distance. They may not take part in the game until they have done so.
  2. If it is taken so quickly that opponents have no opportunity to retreat, they will not be sanctioned for this. However, they may not take part in the game until they have retreated 10 metres from the mark or until a team-mate who was 10 metres from the mark has moved in front of them.

http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=20

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
As long as the players are retiring and making no attempt to tackle, they aren't offside at a quick tap. They can't become involved in the play until they have retired 10 metres from the mark though.

For example if Team A is awarded a penalty and it's taken quickly and there is a player from Team B a metre in front of the mark, that player from Team B isn't offside if the player from Team A with the ball runs into him - as long as he is retiring from the mark.

1. When a penalty or free-kick is awarded, the opposing team must immediately retreat 10 metres towards their own goal line or until they have reached their goal line if that is closer.
playicon.png
  1. Even if the penalty or free-kick is taken quickly and the kicker’s team is playing the ball, opposing players must keep retreating the necessary distance. They may not take part in the game until they have done so.
  2. If it is taken so quickly that opponents have no opportunity to retreat, they will not be sanctioned for this. However, they may not take part in the game until they have retreated 10 metres from the mark or until a team-mate who was 10 metres from the mark has moved in front of them.
http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=20

Yep, that's my point.
If a quick tap is taken 10-15m from the try line a try is almost inevitable and there is not much the defending team can do to stop it.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yep, that's my point.
If a quick tap is taken 10-15m from the try line a try is almost inevitable and there is not much the defending team can do to stop it.

But why would you want to give the team which has just given away a penalty the ability to be offside? Wouldn't they just stand on the mark and not let the other team take their advantage? There's already too much slowing down of the game IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.