• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Drama

Sydney Middleton (9)
Anyone else feel uncomfortable about Freier playing 1st Grade? The way I see it is he's had his go and he did amazingly. Went to the very top and represented his country. He's a good player and I acknowledge he's about 100 times better than me. But I just don't think he should be in 1sts. He shouldn't even be in 2nds. Subbies would be a better fit. He's just blocking some other aspiring player from playing 1st Grade. For a lot of players 1st Grade is the pinnacle of their careers. To have some old bloke who's already achieved everything stand in their way is just not fair. He's had his turn now it's time to move on.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
If you were suggesting he was getting favours to be picked, I’d be with you.

But if he’s the best they’ve got down there,he’s entitled to get picked, it’s his turn until the aspiring players are better than him.
IMO.

Johnny Drama

Sydney Middleton (9)
I Like To Watch- I don't know if he's the best or getting favours and I don't care. He's achieved everything in Rugby why hang around and deny a bloke a 1st Grade jersey? A chance at being on TV so all your extended family can watch and be proud?

It's not as though Freier is ripping it up is he?

seven wearing six

Allen Oxlade (6)
Probably because they get some pretty handy cattle back after the Soup season has finished.

No chance.

As most of the Uni players in the Waratahs also fall into the Wallabies squad, it is doubtful they will qualify with enough game time to line up for SS finals. one or two from the Rebs and Brums (extended squads) have already played some Shute, so would be very welcome back and without undue criticism, but hardly likely there will be anything to poke fun of.
Warringah are on fire. I'd like to see them make the GF again. Imagine a Battle of the Beaches GF... Manly may need Matty Lucas to steer them around to get there, though (and maybe Michael Hooper).

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
I Like To Watch- I don't know if he's the best or getting favours and I don't care. He's achieved everything in Rugby why hang around and deny a bloke a 1st Grade jersey? A chance at being on TV so all your extended family can watch and be proud?

Disclaimer: don't know anything about the form, only talking about the principle. If he's the no.1 pick and is there on merit, then keep him there. All spots should be earned. Age, past glories, time served is irrelevant. Aspire all you want, but if you can't prove to be the best in your position, you don't deserve to be there.

Giving a kid a go because he wants it is not enough, he has to earn it. This is real rugby, not the Wallabies

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
but hardly likely there will be anything to poke fun of.

I was not poking fun, for a change, just pointing out that Uni can expect an influx of Soup level players before the comp is finished. The Woodies can expect maybe Fitzpatrick. That's why we have no chance.

Warringah are on fire. I'd like to see them make the GF again. Imagine a Battle of the Beaches GF. Manly may need Matty Lucas to steer them around to get there, though (and maybe Michael Hooper).

No chance.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)

Maybe he is enjoying playing with his mates and is the best hooker in the club?

People complain when ex-internationals don't give back to their club. I don't really like Randwick much but it's great to see someone who love the place enough to want to be playing at his age and surely Randwick want to pick the best team they can, it is the strongest club competition in the country after all.

seven wearing six

Allen Oxlade (6)
Maybe he is enjoying playing with his mates and is the best hooker in the club?

People complain when ex-internationals don't give back to their club. I don't really like Randwick much but it's great to see someone who love the place enough to want to be playing at his age and surely Randwick want to pick the best team they can, it is the strongest club competition in the country after all.

Good for young Hookers to butt heads with such experienced players, too.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
On the basis that they are coming 9th out of 11 and have won 1 of their past 5 games.

Seem to be a different side when Tasi plays, when he, Abel & Kearns, Molloy are in the backline it can score enough points. Robbie Abel makes a big difference generally as he is a better thrower than Vailanu, the games Gordon haven't won the lineout has struggled. They haven't won many recently but have had 3 losses by 4 points, Eastwood bludgeoned them to death, Warringah ran in two tries in the last 10 minutes to win 25-13 and then 3 wins and an escape from West Harbour for them to get a draw (West Harbour scored with two minutes to go, kicker kicked from corner).

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Disclaimer: don't know anything about the form, only talking about the principle. If he's the no.1 pick and is there on merit, then keep him there. All spots should be earned. Age, past glories, time served is irrelevant. Aspire all you want, but if you can't prove to be the best in your position, you don't deserve to be there.

Giving a kid a go because he wants it is not enough, he has to earn it. This is real rugby, not the Wallabies

Also a good way to spread talent. If the young bull can't get a run and he thinks he is good enough, he will likely go to another team where he will get selection.

We actually need more players in club. Remember, we had to cut a team.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
According to Fusesport. Manly won 4th grade. Manly won 3rd grade by 1 point. Gordon won 2nd grade by 1 point.

All the 2nd grade games a winning margin of 9 points or less for all teams today.

Correction HB...Gordon won 3rd grade by 1 point against Manly ;)

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Gordon seem to have run out of steam after a good start.

If you get a chance QH....watch the recent Stags V Beasties game that was played in Orange.....Gordon have plenty in the tank and my one eyed prediction is they will test and best many more fancied opponents in the second half of the season and make a strong push for a finals berth.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If you get a chance QH..watch the recent Stags V Beasties game that was played in Orange...Gordon have plenty in the tank and my one eyed prediction is they will test and best many more fancied opponents in the second half of the season and make a strong push for a finals berth.

I like your optimism. And I like the fact that Trevor Allen is part of your avatar. Gordon have had some wonderful players over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.