• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

seven wearing six

Allen Oxlade (6)
Nine years since Uni has had a win at TG Millner...
Can they crack the drought?
Surely two straight losses is unheard of.

Tough round to pick this week.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
TEAM LIST​

1st Grade - Intrust Super Shute Shield

Saturday 22th June3pm, T.G. MILLNER FIELD

Sydney Uni
Eastwood
1 Matt Sandell
Dean Doumbos

2 Tom Horton
Ed Craig

3 Wayne Borsak
Rob Lagudi

4 Jack Sherratt
James Neale

5 David McDuling (c)
Rhys Allen

6 Nicholas Champion De Crespigny
Michael Icely

7 Rohan O'Reagan
Tevita Piukala

8 Mitch Whiteley
Pat Sio

9 Daniel Calavassy
Mick Snowden

10 Connor O'Shea
Tayler Adams

11 James Kane
Kiti Ratu

12 William McDonnell
Nox Muliufi

13 James Armstrong
Barton Picone

14 Harry Potter
Afa Pakalani

15 Tim Clements
Jackson Bird

Coaches
Robert Taylor / Joe Horn-Smith Ben Batger/ Andrew Clyne
Coaches

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Nine years since Uni has had a win at TG Millner.
Can they crack the drought?
Surely two straight losses is unheard of.

Tough round to pick this week.

...and in a fortuitous twist of fate, courtesy of the second bye, the lads from Chatswood are the first of seven teams to pick up 5 sheckles to add to their pile... ;)

seven wearing six

Allen Oxlade (6)
.and in a fortuitous twist of fate, courtesy of the second bye, the lads from Chatswood are the first of seven teams to pick up 5 sheckles to add to their pile. ;)

Is two Byes with no points fair?
How is this calculated/compensated?
Surely they must get points for a second Bye...

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
A silly system.
What we need is a twelfth team.

12th team would be great, who and how?
Silly system - yes, but any other ideas, there are 7 teams who miss out on picking up the extra 2 (draw), 3 (draw plus bonus point), 4 (win), or 5 (win & Bonus Point).
Idea.
Maybe the buy points are 2 - 5 depending on season results to date;
If the team is winning most of their games with bonus points they get 5 points.
If the team is has a win loss record of 50 / 50 they get 2 or 3 points.
We have what we have this year - goal is to keep winning.
I think players returning from Super Rugby will play a bigger part in end result than the impact of the bye.
I'd much rather home and away than the NRC - would be keen to hear the players perspective on this?

seven wearing six

Allen Oxlade (6)
12th team would be great, who and how?
Silly system - yes, but any other ideas, there are 7 teams who miss out on picking up the extra 2 (draw), 3 (draw plus bonus point), 4 (win), or 5 (win & Bonus Point).
Idea.
Maybe the buy points are 2 - 5 depending on season results to date;
If the team is winning most of their games with bonus points they get 5 points.
If the team is has a win loss record of 50 / 50 they get 2 or 3 points.
We have what we have this year - goal is to keep winning.
I think players returning from Super Rugby will play a bigger part in end result than the impact of the bye.
I'd much rather home and away than the NRC - would be keen to hear the players perspective on this?

What about a Barbarians side, made up of a seasonal selection of players from each of the top 6 sides in all grades and Colts?
Each team in the top 6 at the end of the season would offer 4 players to develop with the Barbarian side for a full season and then return to their home club at the conclusion of that competition. The Barbarian sides would be fully rotational on a season-to-season basis and, as they are always made up from top 6 sides, should be competitive.
Players/teams from outside SS (Subbies) could bid to play with the Barbarian team without any penalties to returning and playing at their normal level. It would be a true developmental team consisting of players from teams with Finals experience.
I'd bet there is even a fan-base for a local BaaBaa side. They would surely be everybody's second team.
Get them playing out of a great traditional ground on good transport and the crowds would come.
As for initial funding, there's a mob in England that have a pretty successful Barbarians model that might be able to assist...

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
What about a Barbarians side, made up of a seasonal selection of players from each of the top 6 sides in all grades and Colts?
Each team in the top 6 at the end of the season would offer 4 players to develop with the Barbarian side for a full season and then return to their home club at the conclusion of that competition. The Barbarian sides would be fully rotational on a season-to-season basis and, as they are always made up from top 6 sides, should be competitive.
Players/teams from outside SS (Subbies) could bid to play with the Barbarian team without any penalties to returning and playing at their normal level. It would be a true developmental team consisting of players from teams with Finals experience.
I'd bet there is even a fan-base for a local BaaBaa side. They would surely be everybody's second team.
Get them playing out of a great traditional ground on good transport and the crowds would come.
As for initial funding, there's a mob in England that have a pretty successful Barbarians model that might be able to assist.

Interesting.
Some of the top teams struggle to retain their players - leaving to play off shore and earn a leaving. Loosing a qtr of your team could have a huge impact, not saying I'm against it.

It also should be noted their are 4 grades and a 3 colts that need to be filled, and a home ground for training and playing. Attracting players for a Tuesday / Thursday night training from Warringah / Souths / Western Sydney for all grades could be a challenge.

All ideas are good though

seven wearing six

Allen Oxlade (6)
Interesting.
Some of the top teams struggle to retain their players - leaving to play off shore and earn a leaving. Loosing a qtr of your team could have a huge impact, not saying I'm against it.

It also should be noted their are 4 grades and a 3 colts that need to be filled, and a home ground for training and playing. Attracting players for a Tuesday / Thursday night training from Warringah / Souths / Western Sydney for all grades could be a challenge.

All ideas are good though

I think a centralised training facility - say Lidcombe Oval - and have that remain a home-ground for Grade, then use 1st XV facilities at schools and communities throughout the Sydney basin for Colts - Newington, Trinity, Cranbrook, Hurlstone Ag, Merrylands, Latham, Moore and Centennial Parks and each of the sponsoring Universities all have great football pitches that could be used. The Tahs may even offer up Daceyville, 'cos I doubt they use it much on a Saturday arvo...
Four from from each playing squad of 23 - yes the bench are primarily from other Grades and that sounds like double-dipping - but we are all seeking depth and once implemented, depth will naturally follow. There is a whole, passionate Emus club out there, and though they lack the Finals experience this model requires, they would certainly fill in gaps at other clubs and develop within them - and regular/annual player openings within clubs (at least initially) will expose more juniors to higher levels of play and development.

Status
Not open for further replies.