• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2020

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Spent the morning peering through the fence at Weigall at New v Grammar trials this morning, which left the afternoon free.

The game was a COVID sellout, so not at the ground but watched on TV.

Norths deserved the win. They executed the core skills much better and made far fewer mistakes. Manly had our chances, but really if we are unable to reliably win our own lineouts we will struggle against the better teams. Missing easy shots at goal didn't help either. Both of these issues meant that passes were pushed under pressure and this increased the mistake rate.
I remember Yool Yool coming through Stannies as a schoolboy but don’t recall him kicking. His technique didn’t look great which is probably why he lost it when the pressure came on. I don’t really blame him though, it’s a club wide kicking issue and Manly had chances to score more tries anyway.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Results:

Warringah 31 defeat Easts 28
Eastwood 42 defeat West Harbour 10
Norths 28 defeat Manly 19
Randwick 42 defeat Two Blues 0
Southern Districts 29 defeat Penrith 14
Uni 59 defeat Wildfires 10

Good signs for Penrith remembering Southern beat Eastwood in Rd 1. West Harbour look in a spot of bother this year while the Rats don’t seem to be as strong.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Tips this round:

QH 5/6
HB 5/6
Qwerty 5/6
UTG 6/6
Molman 6/6

Cumulative:

QH 13/18
HB 14/18
Qwerty 14/18
UTG 16/18
Molman 16/18

Parochial tips making the difference for Molman and I.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Manly had our chances

Agree. There was some real space in those wide channels (particularly the right wing) when the Norths defence got compressed and the player fatigue started to set in - as it does if you want to maintain the rush defence. As you say, you need to get the fundamentals right first so you have a platform to work from. Until the whistle went I never felt the Marlins were out of it however.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Results:

Good signs for Penrith remembering Southern beat Eastwood in Rd 1. West Harbour look in a spot of bother this year while the Rats don’t seem to be as strong.

Hmm.. that Rats / Easts game was a little tighter than I thought it might be. I think I might be backing Gordon at home next week.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I remember Yool Yool coming through Stannies as a schoolboy but don’t recall him kicking. His technique didn’t look great which is probably why he lost it when the pressure came on. I don’t really blame him though, it’s a club wide kicking issue and Manly had chances to score more tries anyway.

One thing which really impressed me was Norths having the composure and maturity to kick the field goal with 3 minutes left to put them out to more than a converted try. Hopefully it's a sign that the mindless and hopelessly nostalgic idea (and incorrect I might add), that Australian teams must always run it from everywhere no matter what the score, what the conditions or what the opposition is doing are over.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Two Blues held Randwick to 0-0 at HT and an upset looked on the cards --- they always lift against us.
But the first try shortly after HT saw the floodgates open.

Locky Miller yellow carded again and then received a caution --- lucky to not receive a second yellow ==> red.
Needs to improve his discipline.

Big games again from Dylan Pietsch and Kristian Jensen and Longbottom lifted the attack when he came off the bench.

Strong defence again, only conceded 2 tries in 3 games.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Results:

You writing them off?

It was a cracker of a game yesterday. Looked like they would go on with it and then Easts would hit back. thrilling game right to the end.

Its worth noting they should have won the first 2 games excepting for some stupid decisions - like not kicking the 3 right in front to take the lead but instead try and scrum their way to victory.

they will improve and I am sure they will be there at the pointed end.

link to the match for anyone wanting to watch

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=287468799173618

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hmm.. that Rats / Easts game was a little tighter than I thought it might be. I think I might be backing Gordon at home next week.

Your right, this game will be critical for both. Gordon won the trial match and it will be a real test for the Rats to see exactly where they are.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
You writing them off?

It was a cracker of a game yesterday. Looked like they would go on with it and then Easts would hit back. thrilling game right to the end.

Its worth noting they should have won the first 2 games excepting for some stupid decisions - like not kicking the 3 right in front to take the lead but instead try and scrum their way to victory.

they will improve and I am sure they will be there at the pointed end.

link to the match for anyone wanting to watch

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=287468799173618
Not writing them off yet but they don’t seem as strong to me as the last couple of years. I wasn’t that impressed by Easts last week so I expected the Rats to get it done more comfortably but admittedly haven’t see the game and Easts may have really stepped it up.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
One thing which really impressed me was Norths having the composure and maturity to kick the field goal with 3 minutes left to put them out to more than a converted try. Hopefully it's a sign that the mindless and hopelessly nostalgic idea (and incorrect I might add), that Australian teams must always run it from everywhere no matter what the score, what the conditions or what the opposition is doing are over.
The telecast clock said there was 10 seconds to go at the time so I didn’t think much of it at the time. When the game was still running 3 minutes later I thought it was a fantastic decision.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not writing them off yet but they don’t seem as strong to me as the last couple of years. I wasn’t that impressed by Easts last week so I expected the Rats to get it done more comfortably but admittedly haven’t see the game and Easts may have really stepped it up.

Easts had the better scrum for much of the match, and Rats were penalised multiple times and gave Easts easts opportunity to attack. Warringah scrum gained the ascendancy in the last quarter- not sure what changed,

Easts looked good with ball in hand and stretched the defense. Rats did a lot of mid field kicking, high short contestable - must have been a tackic, I would have rather them keep the ball in hand or kick to the corners.

Warringah broke the the line multiple times and really should have won the game quite easily. They were out to 15 nil early in the match. 15 for Warringah is a very slippery runner and had 1 terriffic run though the middle. Tupu needs to see more of the ball, he threatens nearly every touch. East D needs work, but they dont look too shabby either

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
The Manly 5/8 depth was tested in the Norths game.
Lane out, BJ Hartman on the bench (probably minor injury) and the fullback-come-5/8 injured during the game.
I had an impression that Yooi Yooi kicked his goals with a toe kick/Don Clarke action, which if true is quite a throw back.
Well done to the Manly committee members who managed the physical distancing restrictions with grace and humour.