• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2020

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Full results this week (I had one of those weeks, so didn't any tips in)

Randwick def Wests 22-0
Uni def Penrith 41-3
Souths def WSTB 37-25
Eastwood def Easts 20-17
Manly drew Newcastle 29-29
Gordon def Warringah 52-7

Observations: Gordon are the big improvers at the top in 2020, Penrith and WSTB are much closer than they have been in years past and Newcastle seem to be improving each week. The only unexpected blowout is the Gordon v Warringah game.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Observations: Gordon are the big improvers at the top in 2020, Penrith and WSTB are much closer than they have been in years past and Newcastle seem to be improving each week. The only unexpected blowout is the Gordon v Warringah game.

Not to be picky, but can we start calling the northerners the Hunter Wildfires? It would be good if this name catches on, I hope the team can be seen as representing the whole Hunter region, and not just Newie.

The Woodies hanging on to beat the Beasties away was a bit unexpected, to moi, anyway.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Full results this week (I had one of those weeks, so didn't any tips in)

Randwick def Wests 22-0
Uni def Penrith 41-3
Souths def WSTB 37-25
Eastwood def Easts 20-17
Manly drew Newcastle 29-29
Gordon def Warringah 52-7

Think Uni rested a few players, but you are right, I would have thought a bigger scoreline in that matchup.

Are Manly weak this year? or are Newcastle the real deal and will threaten anyone?

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not to be picky, but can we start calling the northerners the Hunter Wildfires? It would be good if this name catches on, I hope the team can be seen as representing the whole Hunter region, and not just Newie.

The Woodies hanging on to beat the Beasties away was a bit unexpected, to moi, anyway.

Are they here to stay or are they a one off addition for this year only?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

We can, although to give them their full title they are the Hunter and Newcastle Rugby Union Wildfires, hence HDRU Wildfires. :).

That's a bit of a mouthful though, so either Hunter or Newcastle or Hunter Newcastle are fine by me. Whatever promotes the game the best in that area.

I also noticed that they are playing in the traditional Newcastle colours of green and brown, instead of the previous iteration when they wore a sky blue and red melange IIRC.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Think Uni rested a few players, but you are right, I would have thought a bigger scoreline in that matchup.

Are Manly weak this year? or are Newcastle the real deal and will threaten anyone?

I don't think Manly are as strong as in recent years and I also suspect that Hunter are taking a bit of time to gel as a team and will continue to improve.

EDIT: And I think that Uni had some COVID issues during the week, which put some of their players into isolation.

TheNude

Peter Burge (5)
I was at Uni Vs Penrith - the Emu's played with a lot of heart but weren't really in it; they were probably lucky to keep 15 on the park during the second half as there scrum was under a lot of pressure on their own try line for 2 pretty long periods. Credit to Penrith though they played a lot better than some of the teams I've seen in the past.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
edited after week 5:

1. Gordon
2. Randwick
3. Souths
4. Norths
5. Eastwood
6. Uni
7. Easts
8. Warringah
9. Manly
10. Wests
11. Newcastle
12. Western Sydney
13. Penrith

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
^^^

Agree with top 3 and Bottom 5.

Middle 5 is more contentious

Bear in mind that Warringah have played the top 3 and your 5th (Easts) And should have/could have won both the Uni and Randwick games - and they have a much easier run to the finals.

I am assuming we are playing off top 6 in the finals, so I would still be tipping Rats to make finals

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Take 2

Games this week

Warringah v Wests at Rat Park
Randwick v Penrith at Coogee
WSTB v Eastwood at Lidcombe
Manly v Gordon at Manly
Norths v Hunter at NSO
Uni v Souths at Uni

Normal service has been resumed. :)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Tips

Eastwood (although they always have trouble with Parramatta)

And West Harbour. Actually we had a huge amount of trouble with the Beasties in the first half last weekend (have not watched the second half yet) - we should have been 20 behind at lemons. Edit: I watched the second half, and still cannot understand how we managed to steal the game.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Tips a little easier this week. Gordon vs Manly the most interesting but if Gordon replicate their last few performances they’ll win.

Tips:
Rats
Wicks
Eastwood
Gordon
Norths
Uni