• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2020

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Post-war, Gordon have won 8 premierships, we have won 6 (if my count is correct). One thing that I am sure of is that they thrashed us the only time we have met in a Grand Final, in 1976, 33-4. We scored the first try. Laurie Monaghan was fullback for Gordon. That's about all I can remember, other than we had lost our halfback the week before and the stocks were pretty scanty, so Jim Feggans (normally a centre) played halfback, and that did not go well.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I actually thought Norths came out in the second half with a differnt game plan, and they started to hold onto the ball and put it through the hands. It was tough going and lots of hard tackling.

They did, but that makes sense, they had the wind in the first, not much point kicking into it in the 2nd. The commentators made comment around them potentially kicking it a little too much in the first and I almost agree somewhat, Norths have looked good this season running the ball through the hands, you can tell that there are a lot of core players who've been around each other for awhile. Didn't look too bad even in the wet.

Forecast is 26 degrees with 20kph northeasterly winds. Possible storm, yes, but that is vastly different to last Sunday's 14 degrees, constant rain, with a 40k southerly.

Bugger. Wet games have their place, but got to say for finals I like to see a dryer pitch.

pnut

Alfred Walker (16)
Question can any Eastwood and Gordon supporters put some numbers around last weeks 23 of those that played colts for each team

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
I believe the following were Gordon Colts
Brandon Quinn
Ollie Smeallie
Joey Walton
James Lough
Jack Dempsey
Tom Silk
Jack Margin
Lucas Price (Gordon Junior went to League after school)

pnut

Alfred Walker (16)
Thanks for that. Interesting only 4 of the starting XV. With there colts program you would’ve thought much higher.

pnut

Alfred Walker (16)
So it looks like the GF breakdown of players that came through the relevant club colt programs as follows.
Gordon 7 out of 23 ( 30% )
Eastwood 11 out of 23 ( 47%)

Pretty poor numbers really. This GF is the battle of imports.
Especially considering both clubs 2nd grade sides were battling for 6th position at best

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
So it looks like the GF breakdown of players that came through the relevant club colt programs as follows.

Especially considering both clubs 2nd grade sides were battling for 6th position at best

Both Gordon and Eastwood produce a lot of players. Some of them move elsewhere. What is wrong with that?

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'm a Manly supporter pnut (grew up in Stags territory). How many of the Marlins first grade have come from colts?
I mean that nicely - I coached a Manly junior club this year and the club has a great connection with their 5 junior clubs - just curious thats all.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm a Manly supporter pnut (grew up in Stags territory). How many of the Marlins first grade have come from colts?
I mean that nicely - I coached a Manly junior club this year and the club has a great connection with their 5 junior clubs - just curious thats all.
I noted on Sept 27 "However in pre-game publicity it was announced that coach Matt McGoldrick had selected 13 players with a Manly Colts background, including some young guys to give exposure to the big time.
A welcome investment in the future."
That was just prior to Manly's last game.

pnut

Alfred Walker (16)

Manly 13/15 is a big difference to the GF teams. Maybe that’s the point especially in light of their Twos. Feel free to do numbers on any team if it suits

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Manly 13/15 is a big difference to the GF teams. Maybe that’s the point especially in light of their Twos. Feel free to do numbers on any team if it suits

You are a Rebels supporter? It would be interesting to know how many Rebels players are products of club rugby in Melbourne.

Nine Shape

Frank Row (1)

The number of Colts in the Gordon grade programme is substantial. During the last few rounds the numbers in the lower grades for instance were regularly 13/14 out of the starting 15's, as well as 90% of the bench in 4's. Can't give you the 2nds numbers at the moment

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The number of Colts in the Gordon grade programme is substantial. During the last few rounds the numbers in the lower grades for instance were regularly 13/14 out of the starting 15's, as well as 90% of the bench in 4's. Can't give you the 2nds numbers at the moment

Kind of makes one wonder why the club has had such a long period of failure on the field? And the crowds dropped right away. Very hard for an old Eastwood man to understand, given how strong Gordon always used to be, in every grade. What went wrong, and how was it fixed, or rather, has it been permanently fixed?