• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2024

Bob Peters

Frank Nicholson (4)
Sorry dad he wasnt that outstanding but good luck to the lad with his future, a number of teams have players out at the moment, the worrying sign for uni was losing 6 out of 7 games yesterday following their results a week earlier vs Randwick
Fortunately for the universe I didn't start having kids when I was 12. Not sure my balls were even working by that stage. Not sure what more you expect an 18 year old tight forward to do on debut. I thought he was bloody excellent in disrupting or stealing 4-5 lineouts and doing the basics well. Anyway, I totally agree that Uni are in a big hole across the grades at the moment and there is no cavalry coming anytime soon.

BobbyD

Peter Burge (5)
Fortunately for the universe I didn't start having kids when I was 12. Not sure my balls were even working by that stage. Not sure what more you expect an 18 year old tight forward to do on debut. I thought he was bloody excellent in disrupting or stealing 4-5 lineouts and doing the basics well. Anyway, I totally agree that Uni are in a big hole across the grades at the moment and there is no cavalry coming anytime soon.
Geez Bob, it made me wonder what soon-to-be adult aged kids I might have out there...

Uni certainly throwing a lot of kids in at the deep end recently. One of the props yesterday, Jackson Stiel, is only 19. I thought both he and the kid in the second row were pretty good but I'm a former winger so my view of single digit jerseys probably doesn't count :). The No, 7, Allsopp was seriously good in a beaten team and I think he is only 20. Uni certainly are heavily overloaded with Colts aged kids in 1st and 2nd grade recently. About 10 at my last count. Probably points to both a depth issue in grade and on oversupply of Colts talent. Uni were certainly outsized in every grade across the past 2 weeks. The powerhouse clubs this year are certainly to the east and north of the CBD. Watched the Easts-Randwick game on replay and certainly a notch up on every other game I have looked at.

Cockatoo Run

Herbert Moran (7)
Speaking of Colts, it’s bloody good to see Souths colts doing well early doors. Hoping they can continue.

Anyone been watching Souths first grade play? I was hoping Joe Barakat would turn things around as he’s a good coach. Do they just not have the cattle?

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Geez Bob, it made me wonder what soon-to-be adult aged kids I might have out there...

Uni certainly throwing a lot of kids in at the deep end recently. One of the props yesterday, Jackson Stiel, is only 19. I thought both he and the kid in the second row were pretty good but I'm a former winger so my view of single digit jerseys probably doesn't count :). The No, 7, Allsopp was seriously good in a beaten team and I think he is only 20. Uni certainly are heavily overloaded with Colts aged kids in 1st and 2nd grade recently. About 10 at my last count. Probably points to both a depth issue in grade and on oversupply of Colts talent. Uni were certainly outsized in every grade across the past 2 weeks. The powerhouse clubs this year are certainly to the east and north of the CBD. Watched the Easts-Randwick game on replay and certainly a notch up on every other game I have looked at.
Perhaps it has something to do with the points system and how they need to have some of their talented Colts age recruits in Grade in order to stay below the points cap. Certainly the players mentioned are playing very well. I just hope they dont "break" them.

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
A clear indication of what is wrong with Rugby in Australia. Pushing players into a level where they are not ready and risking breaking those kids before they can establish their careers. Doyle is a great player but should be playing against his cohort and learning his craft in Colts. As should a number of those kids who have to play 2nd Grade for Uni instead of Colts because they broke the points cap last year.
Uni do nothing for Australian Rugby by warehousing players and forcing them to play up in Grade. Very few are going to make it at the next level and breaking them early as an 18 year old against men does not help.
Let kids play with their mates and develop physically and learn their craft. If they are good enough they will get to that next level through hard work and dedication.