• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield BBQs and Canteens

Status
Not open for further replies.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
The secret with the Bacon and Egg Roll is in the roll.

Too many clubs offer the Bacon and Egg Option in a sandwich format.

A freshly baked crispy roll is best. This beats the no crust hot dog roll, hands down.

I went for the sausage sambo (with bacon) in the end.
Probably cause I've missed them down at Coogee this year.
Not bad!

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Rat park
bacon crisp and great, egg overdone, lashings of sauce 7/10
Ham and salad roll - fresh and excellent 9/10 ( Glad wrap hard to get off)

Coogee
Pies - tasty 9/10 ( Pies don't like me)
Sausage Rolls - tasty 9/10 ( as above)
Sauces - home made and VG 10/10
Turkish Flats? Tasty and very hot 9/10 ( Cost $10 but hope the club is on high percentage)

UNi
Nothing if First grade not playing 0/10

Eastwood
Bacon and Egg rolls Fresh 9/10
Pies ( See Coogee)

Parramatta
Sausage Sandwich - Hot and good and local 10/10

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Southern Districts

Hamburger 9.5/10
Sausage sandwich 9.5/10

Half point lost due drip down the neck waiting in the line:)

Those clubs that have the locals doing the work all get bonus points

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I would doc the Hobbits 1/2 a point due to the location of the BBQ and Burger construction zone..

The Staff working the Canteen, and BBQ and Rebels Burger plating up zone are unable to watch the game while they work. Working conditions like that are one of the reasons that Unions were created in the first instance.

Also they don't have a steak sanger, nor a Bacon and Egg, or Works burger with the lot option. What they do is quality but their overall rating would improve if the range was increased to included some more of the "usual" footy BBQ staples.

Can not fault their BBQ onions.

B

BellyTwoBlues

Are the schnitzel burgers breast or thigh meat?
Frozen or home made?
Fresh and Breast is best.

I can confirm that mrs BellyTwoBlues stays up til all hours of every Friday night (thankfully this frees up the Super Rugby for me :) ) making the schnitzel with her Mum's secret crumbing mixture. I concur entirely, nothing like fresh, breast at home!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hearing whispers that the Hipster experiment is over, and common sense and tradition has prevailed with the BBQ being reinstated to its rightful place at Coogee Oval.

Anyone at the Wicks v Pirates game able to confirm and provide a Food and Beverage update.

Very happy to hear that MMM will be sponsored by Nomad Brewery and they will have a selection of Nomad Craft beer on sale at Manly Oval. Can't wait for that.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Hearing whispers that the Hipster experiment is over, and common sense and tradition has prevailed with the BBQ being reinstated to its rightful place at Coogee Oval.

Anyone at the Wicks v Pirates game able to confirm and provide a Food and Beverage update.

Very happy to hear that MMM will be sponsored by Nomad Brewery and they will have a selection of Nomad Craft beer on sale at Manly Oval. Can't wait for that.

Heard there is a new brew at Coogee as well this year?????

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)

Correct Hugh, the BBQ is back but a few teething problems to be ironed out ie didn't get underway until about 2pm, lack of staff, and NO ONIONS!!!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Was the NSW Dept of Fair Trading (Food and Beverage division) called in to investigate how a fund raising BBQ can be run without onions?
People have been locked up in certain countries for lesser crimes than that!

Pundits should be happy that the BBQ is back at Coogee Oval. Grease, Cholesterol, Fat, Salt and traces of protein are now back on the menu. No staff and long queues are easily fixed.

Does the Jeffrey Sale Ale change to a bitter when the Wicks lose? :)

Edit: Found a pix of said brew
930d1fc5-a418-4fc5-9705-6a0fcddd46f6.png

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Was the NSW Dept of Fair Trading (Food and Beverage division) called in to investigate how a fund raising BBQ can be run without onions?
People have been locked up in certain countries for lesser crimes than that!

Pundits should be happy that the BBQ is back at Coogee Oval. Grease, Cholesterol, Fat, Salt and traces of protein are now back on the menu. No staff and long queues are easily fixed.

Does the Jeffrey Sale Ale change to a bitter when the Wicks lose? :)

Wicks won 4 out of 4 (plus all colts) last Saturday so we'll have to wait until (if) we lose a game at Coogee to find out ;)

PS: There was also a fair serving of wingeing from the BBQ attendant which adds to the enjoyment and was sadly lacking at Coogee last year.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It is Good Friday and for some folk at the footy, this can present a theological challenge.

Will the Mighty Two Blues, and The Gallopers have a non-red meat option at their Club BBQ today for the pious folk?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The standards for the others to follow are yet again being set at Merrylands RSL Club Park.

Mission: Obtain the recipe for the World Famous Emu Burger and then the Mighty Two Blues BBQ may have it all.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
It is Good Friday and for some folk at the footy, this can present a theological challenge.

Will the Mighty Two Blues, and The Gallopers have a non-red meat option at their Club BBQ today for the pious folk?

Yep, you could have had an ONION roll or sandwich, with or without egg.

B

BellyTwoBlues

The standards for the others to follow are yet again being set at Merrylands RSL Club Park.

Mission: Obtain the recipe for the World Famous Emu Burger and then the Mighty Two Blues BBQ may have it all.

I'll back either of our Two Blues Burgers (Beef or Chicken Schnitzel) over the Emu Burger any day of the week.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
I'll back either of our Two Blues Burgers (Beef or Chicken Schnitzel) over the Emu Burger any day of the week.
I have eaten both,last year admittedly, but I am riding with Belly here in regards to the TwoBlueBurger. I would love a Works Burger option anywhere though.
Whinge Factor does make for enlightening eating though so I look forward to munching on a Wicks BBQ.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)

Whilst being a left footer, I honestly think that if you have to attend Rugby on Good Friday, it is your right to eat meat. I am trying to figure out who threw this fish caper in... I am a sucker for all things seafood, but I am going to also eat a couple of Kilpatricks along the way. (Sorry Nanna Westlake!)
Steak Sangas and TwoBlue Burgers are the way to go.
I am now going to go to confession. I may be gone for quite some time

Status
Not open for further replies.