• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield TV Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlUnger

Chris McKivat (8)
Does anybody have info on the Shute Shield's TV rights? The length of the term etc. I mean I still really enjoy ABC's coverage, but it couldn't hurt to take it up a notch. Up the production values a bit, sell cheaply (or free) to ONE HD or possibly this new all sports channel that is rumored? It would be NICE if they could show more then 1 match a week. It's not unreasonable considering in the Sydney market it seems to match well head to head in the ratings against the AFL's saturday afternoon match, yes I know it's AFL but it is promoted and televised much better. When it was announced that SRU would be taking over the shute shield it was said that they would be trying give "it more exposure and a greater revenue stream through competition sponsorship"

This would be a great start to help that process.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
"but it couldn't hurt to take it up a notch. Up the production values a bit, sell cheaply "[/I]

It would be good to have more than one game a week, but I can't see anyone doing it better than the ABC. And I think the way they do it is part of the charm. Often some of the sporting coverage is over produced these days...the bizarre pre-match display before the finals of the Australian Open a case in point...but I digress. And taking it away from the ABC may mean it lose a bit of the tradition it has.

And personally I think the commentary team at the ABC for Rugby is the best in Australia.

CarlUnger

Chris McKivat (8)
Yeah you are right, there's a certain class too it by getting rid of all the frills and over-hype and just doing it right. I don't know, I just think this competition is a bit of a diamond in the rough with a lot of potential for expansion, if it ever were to become Australia's national comp (which I think is the best bet if Australia were to get one) getting a bit more exposure now would be nice.

I know some would disagree and just enjoy it just the way it is which I understand too.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
Be grateful for 1 game.
Our ABC coverage got cut in Qld a couple of years ago and now we dont even get the GF.
Sigh.

P

Parra GM

would you believe NSWRU actually pay the ABC to cover it......................not the other way around. One HD were approached and they said they'd show it, if someone else did all the hard work and filmed it etc etc.

CarlUnger

Chris McKivat (8)
hmmm I wonder at how much expense? It's ashame and a bit of a suprise that they are paying the ABC but it's a positive thing to have TV coverage. It's great to know that ONE would support covering the rugby comp, if they did there's a fair chance they would get a little bit of airtime on Sports Tonight like ABC gives on ABC news.

CarlUnger

Chris McKivat (8)
That is a very large figure.
MAYBE it would be worthwhile to produce the show themselves and give it to ONE HD. It's hard to say how much money goes into producing a show. Especially a show worthy of ONE HD production values.

Status
Not open for further replies.